Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: High hopes for Highlands in girls' track
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Blubirds aim for a 5th straight title

http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...303080177/

It’s up to first-year Highlands girls’ track and field coach Brian Allessandro to lead the Bluebirds to their fifth straight Class 2A state championship following the resignation of Terry Mayhew, who guided Highlands to four consecutive state titles. The season starts Monday.

“We’re up for the challenge,” the new coach said.

Allessandro, a former Thomas More coach and Northern Kentucky assistant, is confident even though one of his key cogs, multi-event standout Ava Abner, will miss the season with torn knee tendons suffered during the basketball season.

• Enquirer's Recruiting Trail blog
• Enquirer high school sports blog
• Check us out on Facebook
• More prep coverage

“Only six are back from the 14 girls on the state team and we’ll miss Ava in the distances and relays,” Allessandro said. “But we have some young girls who are going to surprise and I expect to win again.”

Allessandro was expecting the return of all four runners from last season’s fourth-place state finisher in the 3,200-meter relay and three of four on the regional champion 1,600 relay team. The loss of Abner, third at the regional in the 800, changes plans. However, seniors Sydney Watson, Maria Weyer and Jordan Earlywine, who ran legs on the state-winning 400 and 800 relay teams, are back and the coach said his young athletes need to assert themselves.

The coach is hoping that Weyer transforms into a regional champion after finishing second in the 200 meters and third in the 100 last year. Weyer placed 10th in the 200 and seventh in the 100 at state. He said eighth-grader Lauren Ossege, second at state in the 1,600 and third in the 3,200, is ready to contend for a title. Highlands will try to hold off regional runner-up Lloyd, which return sister standouts, senior Torey Duncan and sophomore Sarah Duncan.

In Class A, two-time defending state champion Newport Central Catholic is looking for a third title but St. Henry, a top-three state finisher each of the past three years, is poised to win its first crown since 2008.

Individuals to watch include Bishop Brossart’s defending 100 hurdles champion Melanie Fleissner and Sarah Klump, NewCath’s Elizabeth Gruenschlaeger, Jamie Kohls, Abbie Lukens and Aubrey Muench, St. Henry’s Megan Burke and Ashley Svec, and Walton-Verona’s Lauren Dumaine and Madison Peace.

In Class 3A, defending champion Campbell County (fourth at state) and runner-up Notre Dame Academy (10th) will battle for regional supremacy . Campbell coach Brandon Napier said Kennedy Berkley may be limited to sprints after tearing a knee tendon in December, but state qualifiers Christina Heilman, Molly Kitchen, Faith Roaden, Taylor Robinson and Haylee Rose return.

“My prediction is it’s going to be tight between us and Notre Dame,” Napier said.

Notre Dame coach Jim Parsons said, “I think we should be able to close the gap on Campbell County.”
[Image: bilde?Site=AB&Date=20120308&Category=SPT...irls-track]
Newport Central Catholic's Aubrey Muench runs the homestretch of the 4x200 relay at the Class 1A state track and field meet in May. / James Weber/Community Recorder
[Image: bilde?Site=AB&Date=20120308&Category=SPT...irls-track]

Highlands eighth-grader Lauren Ossege won the 2A girls' cross country regional in November. / James Weber/Community Recorder
Thats really interesting one.............
Good luck to Highlands. NCC has a track team? I guess they go to meets against Bellevue, Dayton and the like.
Wideleft01 Wrote:Good luck to Highlands. NCC has a track team? I guess they go to meets against Bellevue, Dayton and the like.

NCC Girls team was the A state champs last year. They run against all the NK teams during the season and in some catholic meets in Ohio.