Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Johnson Central vs John Hardin (PNC/KHSAA Sweet 16) 3/15
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thoughts/Predictions.

John Hardin is hot right now and been on a row. Johnson Central has one of most exciting players that will be at the state tournament, Shane Hall.

Johnson Central-25-10

John Hardin-22-8
Not got a chance to watch John Hardin play this year.
So, I'm not going to make a prediction.

I'll go with JC though!
I will go with John Hardin 65-58.
Johh Hardin by 11
I haven't seen John Hardin play, but I've studied up on them quite a bit. They're not great...JC can win this. I'm going with Hall and the hometown team!

Johnson Central 62
John Hardin 57
John Hardin 73-61
I'd love to take the 15th region winner here, but I'll go with John Hardin by 10.
Let's go JC
If JC wins will people quit laughing at the 15th region?
Is there anywhere to watch these games online?
I am really hoping that Johnson Central and Shane Hall can make some noise in the Sweet 16! Going with JC by 3 in this one!
I'm pulling for the Mt team but JH is hot right now, going John Hardin.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:If JC wins will people quit laughing at the 15th region?

Maybe. But that's the problem. You gotta do it first.

John Hardin plays in a tough area of Kentucky, and has a couple of solid wins down over the stretch over J-town (in the state top 10-15 all year) and Bardstown. Will be a tall order.

JH also has a player on their bench with one of the best names ever: #34 Johannesburg Boulware.
John Hardin by 12+
Jc-61 jh-54
Pulling for JC. But I'm going with John Hardlin by 10
Coach Mckenzie won a game as a player Hopefully he can as a coach...Good luck JC
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:If JC wins will people quit laughing at the 15th region?

I don't understand why anyone would be laughing at the 15th Region. The 15th Region has some of the best young talent around and will be a factor in the next 3 years. I understand that the teams might be a little young and probably out-manned this year, but they have players and teams coming.
John Hardin 57 johnson,Cent 55.Close one
I do not know anything about John Hardin.

I do know this is a young group of Eagles and the trip to Rupp will be great for them. I hope Hall has a huge game and gets the attention he deserves.

I think this will be the first of many trips to Rupp for this group and Thursday is the beginning.
Game 8

John Hardin vs. Johnson Central

John Hardin

Region: 5th • Record: 22-8 • Enrollment: 1,149

Coach's résumé

Mark Wells is in his fourth year (78-33) as coach after serving as an assistant for 11 years, including 2006 when the Bulldogs made the Sweet Sixteen.

Starters

Player Height Class Points

Daveon Greene 6-2 Jr. 16.1

Brandon Price 5-7 Jr. 18.9

Jeremy Harness 5-10 Sr. 10.9

Keon Williams 6-4 So. 8.2

Ervin Montgomery 6-3 Sr. 3.3

Scouting report

The Bulldogs are on a 10-game winning streak thanks to solid defense and improved shooting. "We're peaking at the right time," Coach Mark Wells said. Price, a hustling point guard, is the catalyst. He tied Anthony Epps' region-finals record with 37 points against Bardstown, and added 7 assists. "He's fun to watch. He plays extremely hard. He wills us to win," Wells said. Greene, a solid 240-pounder, is a force in the middle (9.5 rpg). Harness uses his athleticism to advantage on both ends of the court.

Cleats to sneakers

When John Hardin lost five of its first nine games, it wasn't a surprise. The Bulldogs had four players in their rotation — Jeremy Harness, Lonnie Gaskins, Patrick Crowe and Eli Mitchell — who missed the pre-season because they were playing football. Wells said it wasn't until February that their metamorphosis from football players to basketball players was complete.

Player to watch

Jeremy Harness had more than 2,100 yards and 28 TDs rushing and receiving last fall in helping John Hardin go 13-0 before it fell to Bowling Green in the state football semifinals. Harness, who signed with Murray State, brings his winning attitude to basketball. "He's confident in his athletic ability," Coach Mark Wells said. "He's a very good on-the-ball defender, he's able to fly around and get steals and he's a good three-point shooter."

Sweet history

John Hardin's only previous Sweet Sixteen was in 2006 when it lost to South Laurel in the first round.

Johnson Central

Region: 15th • Record: 25-10 • Enrollment: 1,040

Coach's résumé

Tommy McKenzie is in his fifth year (91-58) as coach. He played on the 2000 Golden Eagles' state tournament team, and was an assistant on the 2006 Sweet Sixteen team.

Starters

Player Height Class Points

Shane Hall 6-8 So. 17.0

Braxton Blair 5-11 Fr. 8.3

Dalton Adkins 5-9 Fr. 7.3

Slade McPeek 5-11 So. 5.6

Nick McKenzie 6-3 So. 2.7

Scouting report

The Golden Eagles are young, but they've already embraced the team concept. "One of the big keys to winning the region was the kids didn't care who scored or got the glory," Coach Tommy McKenzie said. "They've all accepted their roles." Hall is the high-profile star, but he's got a solid supporting cast. Blair runs the point and sparks the team's up-tempo style. Adkins and McPeek generate offense from their defense. McKenzie, the coach's first cousin, is also a hard-nosed defender. Chad Collins and Truman Salyer lend help off the bench.

Voice of experience

Tommy McKenzie uses Johnson Central's past to motivate his team. He's played them an audiotape of the Eagles' 1984 region title game, and showed them video of the 2000 and 2006 Sweet Sixteen teams. McKenzie was a key player on the 2000 team. He hit two free throws with :04 left to give Johnson Central a 66-64 win over Hopkins Central in Rupp Arena. "The kids think I'm tooting my own horn, but as a coach, you've gotta draw on your own experiences."

Player to watch

Shane Hall's play last summer earned him notice from Division I schools, and the 6-8 sophomore's stock continued to rise this season. He's averaging 17 points and 11 points while battling late-season injuries (hip and foot). "From last year to this year, he's come leaps and bounds," McKenzie said. While he plays mostly inside, Hall is more than capable on the perimeter, or even leading the fast break. "What surprises a lot of people is how well he handles it for a big guy."

Sweet history

The Golden Eagles are in the state tournament for the sixth time, and for the first time since 2006.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/03/13/21081...rylink=cpy
When the basketball season began, John Hardin senior guard Jeremy Harness’ heart was in it. His head, on the other hand, was filled with everything except basketball.

Harness’ dream of winning a state championship in football was dashed in horrific fashion. The Bowling Green Purples dismantled the Bulldogs, 62-20. It was a painful ending to such a brilliant prep football career, which saw Harness set numerous John Hardin records.

Then there was this small matter of where he was going to spend the next four years on his mind. Harness played in a couple of All-Star football games and he took three official visits that caused him to miss five games.

“My heart was in it, but my head …,” Harness said as his voice trails off. “I felt bad about the loss to Bowling Green. That was still on my mind. I had the thing about where I was going to go college. We didn’t start too well. There was a lot of pressure on me.”

Harness tried to not let it affect his play, but the pressure wore on him. His teammates noticed. His coaches noticed. How could there not be pressure on him when Harness was trying to decide which college was the best fit?

“We watched Jeremy and he tried not to show any of us that it bothered him,” John Hardin coach Mark Wells said. “He had to make a huge decision. He was trying to make the right decision for him. I respect him for the way he handled it, but you could just tell a difference in him after he made that decision.”

On Feb. 1, Harness made his college choice – Murray State. The weight of the world came off his shoulders. Harness, for the first time the entire season, looked like he was having fun on the basketball court once again. Harness’ smile – which can light up a room – was back.

Not only was Harness enjoying himself, he made a big impact on the court. He became a force defensively down the stretch. He began knocking down shots once again. Harness’ scoring average rose to 10.9 points per game.

“He locks up the other team’s best player. He’s a very skilled defensive player,” John Hardin senior Ervin Montgomery said. “He shoots the ball really well. He’s like having a second point guard on the floor. He shoots the lights out, but he doesn’t like to dribble is what he says.”

Everything came together for Harness, and conversely, it came together for the Bulldogs. After making his decision, the Bulldogs lost to Grayson County before reeling off 10 consecutive wins to reach the Boys’ Sweet Sixteen for the first time since 2006. They beat North Hardin for the 17th District championship and Bardstown in the 5th Region Tournament final.

Harness has been instrumental in the team’s postseason success. He is relishing the opportunity to play at Rupp Arena and play in the state tournament after reaching the Class 5-A championship in football his sophomore season.

“I’m going to enjoy this a lot,” Harness said. “There still is a bitter taste (over the football game). That’s not high on the list. This one’s at the top. This is a great feeling.

“I always have fun when I’m playing, but it’s been more fun lately,” he added. “I felt like a big load was taken off my shoulders when I made my (college) decision. Now, I’m able to enjoy the rest of my senior year. I’m enjoying things more now.”

That’s because his heart and head are both completely in it now.http://www.thenewsenterprise.com/content...arness-314