Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Tornado Damage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How has the devastation of the tornados last friday affecting the schools in those communities? Anybody got information. Prayers go out to all those affected.
The destruction here in West Liberty truly cannot be put into words that can describe it. I have seen it first hand, total devastation of a town. It came out of Menifee county over the hills directly behind my house at approx. 100 yards. We headed directly for the basement and all you could hear was the sound a "jet plane" would make taking off. We were fortunate the tornado veered to the left, missing my home. In the spot the tornado touched down, it cleared a path of total destruction, flattening trees, barns, and communities. It went over the hills from my house and crossed over into the community of Woodsbend destroying the boys camp, tree nursey and alot of the community, lives were lost. It headed from Woodsbend over the hills directly into the the town of West liberty. Destroyed the hospital, grade school and many homes and cars before it went directly into town. West liberty looked lterally as if a bomb had hit it. The devastation to local buildings, businesses, restaurants, banks, churches, stores....completely flattened. Several lives lost, a town destroyed by this thing that there was no defending against. People lost their homes, alot of good people lost everything they had, some very sadly lost their lives. The community has rallied to help these people, a couple of grade schools have been designated as shelters for those who lost their homes. The national guard is helping with the cleanup and any way they can. Many other counties have sent in many good people to help in the wake of this tragedy Morgan county has suffered.
Hang in there! I've got friends there I still can't a hold of. I hope he and his family are ok.
Prayers go out to ALL those affected in any way by this "disaster" that truly had no mercy. I will post a pic on here that my neighbor, who lives on the opposte hill across from me took of my home with this giant black mountain turned upside down directly behind my house. It's a chilling picture of how fortunate my family was on that horrific day. Others, sadly were not as fortunate. Prayers to them all. Thanks Foxtrot, The community is working hard to put the peices back together and this community with the help of many other counties, has rallied together to help those in need.
I know Magoffin County has MAJOR damage to their football locker room/weight room and their bleachers and pressbox. There are some pictures on different social media sites of the damage to their complex. But I can't access them at this time.

I'm not sure about any of the other counties that were hit by the tornado.
If anyone knows any news on Dr Kent Nickell of Morgan Co and that he is Ok let me know.
fedscreekviking Wrote:If anyone knows any news on Dr Kent Nickell of Morgan Co and that he is Ok let me know.

I'm almost positive he is ok...
Thank you He was my fraternity brother at Morehead
If you will look at today's Lexington Herald-Leader web site, you will see a couple of incredible photos Dr. Nickell took of the tornado going by his house.
After seeing the shots of West Liberty from the sky, I couldn't really tell but, I was wondering if the high school received any damage?
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I know Magoffin County has MAJOR damage to their football locker room/weight room and their bleachers and pressbox. There are some pictures on different social media sites of the damage to their complex. But I can't access them at this time.

I'm not sure about any of the other counties that were hit by the tornado.

[Image: rula5tby5za3c8g3mh.jpg]
The pressbox and lights remained on the ground at the Magoffin Co. High School football field in Salyersville, Ky., Wednesday, March 07, 2012. The town and the schools suffered major damage from tornados over the weekend. The high school girls basketball team is competing this week in the Sweet 16.

[Image: jxgxt759ftyodtlzcwxm.jpg]
Jeff Hicks, left, and Mark Castle, right, walked next to debris from the bleachers as they surveyed the damage at the Magoffin Co. High School football field in Salyersville, Ky., Wednesday, March 07, 2012. The town and the schools suffered major damage from tornados over the weekend. The high school girls basketball team is competing this week in the Sweet 16. Castle lives close to the school.

[Image: 2cor399oqx5o12y54rw.jpg]
Mark Castle picked up an American Flag that was still attached to the remains of the scoreboard at the Magoffin Co. High School football field in Salyersville, Ky., Wednesday, March 07, 2012. The town and the schools suffered major damage from tornados over the weekend. The high school girls basketball team is competing this week in the Sweet 16. He lives close to the school and was surveying the damage to the school and football field.

[Image: ubymni43zxhag2q5bn0.jpg]
The destroyed football field at the Magoffin Co. High School football field in Salyersville, Ky., Wednesday, March 07, 2012. The town and the schools suffered major damage from tornados over the weekend. The high school girls basketball team is competing this week in the Sweet 16.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/03/07/20994...rylink=cpy
Live Maroon Wrote:If you will look at today's Lexington Herald-Leader web site, you will see a couple of incredible photos Dr. Nickell took of the tornado going by his house.

[Image: d845f5wyueyc8bakxto0.jpg]

[Image: sd262137d4uod3f6glas.jpg]

[Image: 1v5epl4snlydrpgbswx3.jpg]
West Liberty optometrist Kent Nickell took these photos of the March 2 tornado. Nickell's business was destroyed in the storm.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/03/05/20963...rylink=cpy