Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ashland Blazer 55 - Boyd County 44 (16th Region Championship)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final
Looking good girls, keep it rolling!
Great win for the Kittens!!! Congrats to Boyd for a well played game. Both teams played extremely hard.
Good job tonight kittens, nice defense by slone and Gambill was on fire tonight. Good job by bench tonight to come in when Farris and Haeberlin got in foul trouble.
Incredible season so far Kittens, keep it going at Diddle.
Congrats to Ashland Blazer on the win. Good ball game to watch and freshman Alexis Robinson named MVP of the tournament. Going to enjoy watching that kid play for the next 3 years. Go represent the region well.
MOREHEAD — When Ashland's two senior starters went to the bench in the first quarter with foul trouble, no panic signals went up in Johnson Arena.

The team known for its depth pulled together and defeated defending champion Boyd County 55-44 on Saturday night for the program's first 16th Region championship in 15 years.

Junior guard Kaylyn Gambill hit big shot after big shot, freshman point guard Alexis Robinson won Most Valuable Player honors and the Kittens pulled away in the fourth quarter to complete a perfect run through the region.

Coach Bill Bradley, the winning coach after two runner-up finishes in the past four years, stood on a ladder and clipped the final strands of the net as players and Ashland fans cheered from below.

“It's very sweet,” Bradley said of his first regional title after guiding the Kittens to more than 200 wins in 11 seasons. “We lost by two (54-52) four years ago. I thought last year was even more disappointing because we beat Boyd County four times. I'm happy for all the girls, especially Julia (Heaberlin) and Mykal (Farris).”

The two seniors were limited to a combined 32 minutes of playing time due to foul problems and totaled seven points. Heaberlin, the team's top rebounder, fouled out down the stretch.

“As soon as we both picked up two fouls and left the game, we were hoping and praying everybody else would build us back up,” Farris said. “We had confidence in them.”

Boyd County, trying to derail the Kittens in the title game for the second year in a row, strung together three baskets to take its last lead at 35-33 with 2:48 left in the third quarter.

Gambill, however, responded with back-to-back 3-pointers on her way to a game-high 23 points.

“I've been in this situation before,” Gambill said. “We knew Boyd County was going to come out harder than ever in the regional.”

Earlier in the day, Gambill went to Ashland's gym with some of her teammates for some extra shooting.

Then she lit it up at Johnson Arena by nailing 5-of-8 shots from beyond the arc, along with making some runners in traffic.

“Our team knew Kaylyn was on and kept dishing the ball to her,” Farris said. “She played an awesome game. We really wanted to pay Boyd County back for what they did to us last year.”

Gambill sealed Ashland's trip to Diddle Area by hitting a 3-pointer from the corner with 43 seconds remaining to make it 51-42.

“She's a gamer,” Bradley said. “Kaylyn scored 21 against Raceland to get us going in the first round of the region. She's been a clutch person and clutch player.”

Robinson came up big again with 15 points, three assists, three rebounds and two steals for the Kittens, who moved to 29-6 on the season.

Their next game will be Thursday night at the Girls Sweet Sixteen in Bowling Green against the 15th Region winner, which will be determined Monday.

Boyd County coach Pete Fraley offered congratulations to Bradley and his players.

“They are a better team than us,” Fraley said. “They were tonight and they have been all year long. Gambill played a tremendous game, and Alexis too. I'm happy for Bill. He's a good friend of mine and I fully expect them to represent the region well at the State Tournament.”

Boyd County (22-11) played Ashland tougher Saturday than in the 64th District final, when the Kittens cruised to a 29-point victory.

This time, the Lady Lions had their offensive struggles with only five points in the second quarter and six in the fourth.

Allie Slone came off the bench to help lead the Kittens' defensive effort. She also had two baskets and was among the team's All-Tournament selections. Bradley called her the top defensive player of the tournament.

“Defense is my main game,” Slone said. “We knew when they (Heaberlin and Farris) got in foul trouble, we had to pick it up. We did what we needed to do.”

Junior Madison Jones came in to lead the Kittens in rebounding with six. In addition, she made 4-of-5 free throws.

“It was nerve-racking,” Jones said. “That's the most rebounds I've ever had. It's an unbelievable feeling to be going to the State Tournament.”

Said Bradley: “Our depth has been our strength all year. That's what won it tonight, no question.”

Taylor Wheeler led Boyd County with 14 points and nine rebounds. Emily Stewart and Logan Fraley each scored 11 for the Lady Lions, who led by four at the end of the first quarter.

Ashland opened the second quarter with a 9-0 run as Robinson supplied five points on a driving basket and 3-pointer.

“Alexis has ice water in her veins,” Bradley said. “She really controlled, I thought, the whole tournament.”

http://dailyindependent.com/localsports/...s-the-Bill
MOREHEAD — Driven by its point guard, Ashland hit its turning point.

The freshman’s moment was meant, and managed, to be put on hold. And, as she said, she probably wasn’t quite ready to handle it anyway — Alexis Robinson admitted to being unassertive, and even unprepared, at times as an eighth-grader.

“I didn’t come out ready to play all the time,” Robinson thought back. “I was really timid and didn’t really play my game.”

It was all part of the plan, well, aside from the hardware Robinson received on Saturday night. The Most Valuable Player award was just an added bonus as Robinson and the Kittens knocked off 16th Region defending champions Boyd County, 55-44, at Johnson Arena.

Robinson was a unanimous selection by the media — in the Kittens’ three tournament wins over Raceland, Rowan County and Boyd County, Robinson’s performances consisted of an 11-point, five-assist effort, an 18-point, nine-rebound outing and then 15 points, two steals and two assists on Saturday.

“She’s played the same way all season,” said Kittens coach Bill Bradley. “She never gets flustered.”

Last March, she mostly watched from the bench — the quiet eighth-grader barely cracked double figures in minutes — as her team’s dreams were crushed by an adversary the Kittens had previously triumphed over four times during the regular season.

On Saturday, Robinson led her team in minutes (30). Some would say she’s broken out of her shell. Shattered it, maybe.

“Before she was real quiet, but we’re all used to each other,” said senior Mykal Farris. “We act like idiots around each other.”

Robinson has recognized a personal change, attributing it to a new level of comfortability.

“I got closer to the players and they all seem to like me,” Robinson said. “And coach Bradley was really counting on me.”

When announced that she was the MVP, a befuddled Robinson had an almost apathetic reaction. However, she finally cracked a smile after seeing her teammates do the same.

“I usually don’t show too much emotion,” Robinson said. “I thought our seniors, Mykal or Julia (Heaberlin), would’ve got it.”

Ashland graduated no one after last season’s bitter conclusion, so that’s one reason Farris said the Kittens were much improved.

Another? Alexis Robinson, of course.

“Alexis has helped so much,” Farris said. “Her athleticism is unbelievable. She works hard; she’s one that stays after practice to work on things.”

Robinson’s growth chart as a player is progressing upward as planned.

“I talked to her folks and her about not bringing her up too soon (last season),” Bradley said. “We brought her up at her own pace. It’s paid off because this year she’s played like gangbusters.”

Robinson is the second consecutive freshman to receive MVP honors. Boyd County’s Taylor Wheeler was named MVP last year.
http://dailyindependent.com/localsports/...-by-Alexis
All-Tournament

Brooke Gee (Raceland), Corina Gee (East Carter), Robbie Allex (Fleming County), Faith Slone (Morgan County), Taylor Lewis (Rowan County), Kathryn Duff (Rowan County), Savannah Anderson (Lewis County), Taylor Frye (Lewis County), Emily Stewart (Boyd County), Taylor Wheeler (Boyd County), Logan Fraley (Boyd County), Kaylyn Gambill (Ashland), Mykal Farris (Ashland), Alexis Robinson (Ashland), Allie Slone (Ashland). Most Valuable Player: Alexis Robinson (Ashland).
Bring ‘em on

Ashland’s superior regional run has raised a few questions of just how dominant these Kittens are when it comes to other champions of region’s past.

The 1999-2000 West Carter Lady Comets, who posted an overall record of 38-1, went 25-0 in the region, and throttled teams by a staggering average of 41.6 points per game.

These Kittens are the region’s most dominant since, in terms of winning margin and win-loss record within the region.

Listed are the last four teams to go unbeaten within the region, along with their record inside the region and their average margin of victory:

‰2011-12 Ashland — 22-0, 32.2

‰2007-08 Rowan County — 16-0, 22.1

‰2001-02 West Carter — 23-0, 28.1

‰1999-00 West Carter — 25-0, 41.6

“As far as a single team, I think this team could hang with any of those teams,” Bradley said confidently.

Bradley has faith in his team to boost its resume, which includes a tough out-of-region schedule, even further upon arriving in Bowling Green on Thursday.

“He really wanted this, wanted to go to state,” Robinson said. “He thinks we have a really good chance of at least getting to the final four.”

The Kittens will first face the 15th Region representative, which will be determined on Monday, in the Sweet Sixteen.

Deja vu times two

The 2010-11 and 2011-12 seasons marked just the second time that both the boys’ and girls’ 16th Region championship games were rematches in back-to-back years, with Rowan County-Ashland boys and Boyd County-Ashland girls battling for each title.

In 2001-02 and 2002-03, the championship matchups were West Carter-Boyd County girls and Ashland-Rose Hill boys. Each of those four teams took home a regional title.

The last 16th Region school to send both its girls and boys team to the state tournament was Rowan County in 2005. Ashland, if the Tomcats win Monday, will be doubly represented.
Ticket time

Tickets for both the Ashland girls state tournament opening round game and the Ashland boys regional championship game against Rowan County will be on sale at Ashland Blazer High School at 1 p.m. on Monday.
Very good win for the kittens. Good luck at diddle. Does anyone know if they show games on ihigh. Also believe there should have been 2 mvps of this tourny. Bill Bradly has two exceptional players that he can turn to in tough game situations. I will agree one has a little more flash to her but both can flat out ball it up. Congratulations to all.

:1::Thumbs: