Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: North Laurel 38 Knox Central 30--13th semis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
North holds Knox Central to 9 first half points.
wow
I picked North Laurel to win this game, but all along, I thought it was a long shot.

Over the last twenty years, Knox Central has been the biggest disappointment in the 13th Region compared to the talent they've had. It kind of reminds me of the 2008 13th Region Tournament I believe when Knox Central had that really good team with Cody Miller and got upset by a Jim Conway coached North Laurel team led by Seidel.

Congratulations to the Jags in the 13th Region Finals!!!!!
3/3/2012
North Laurel 38
Knox Central 30
Knox Central 4 5 12 9 30
North Laurel 12 8 6 12 38
13th Region at The Arena, Corbin
Knox Central (20-14) -- Kelly 7, Merida 3, J. Barger 9, M. Barger 10, Cole 1.
North Laurel (24-8) -- Carson 12, Eversole 7, Shears 2, Rush 8, Allen 6, Henson 3.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2009/12/02/10403...rylink=cpy
North Laurel 38, Knox Central 30 (13th): The Jaguars (24-8) jumped out to a 12-4 lead and went on to defeat the Panthers (20-14) in the semifinals in Corbin Arena.

Marcus Carson scored a game-high 12 points to go with five rebounds. Jake Allen added six points, nine rebounds and three blocks.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/03/03/20943...rylink=cpy
Congrats Jags, I sure didnt expect to see NL in the championship.
Ever heard that ol sayin.....couldnt throw a beach ball in the ocean if standing on the beach??? Seems as though Knox Central always finds a way to lose no matter what the sport.
Dont be suprised at all to see this same score Mon night with North defeating Clay
All those people that were complaining when NL hired Brad Sizemore are being real quiet right about now! I know he is a great coach and if he makes it will be a great accomplishment for this young up and coming coach! South Laurel probably feels pretty stupid right now! Great Job Jags!!!
North Laurel 38, Knox Central 30: Marcus Carson scored 12 as the Jaguars (24-8) got past the Panthers (20-14) in the semifinals at Corbin Arena.
http://saxo.highschoolsports.net/article...ls?Avis=B2
Big Dog Stipe Wrote:All those people that were complaining when NL hired Brad Sizemore are being real quiet right about now! I know he is a great coach and if he makes it will be a great accomplishment for this young up and coming coach! South Laurel probably feels pretty stupid right now! Great Job Jags!!!

I think everyone knew Sizemore is a very good coach and it doesnt hurt having the legend , Roscoe Denny, at his side either. But lets not overlook the fact that the 13th is probably the weakest region in the state. The fact that Middlesboro made it to the region after beating Bell Co. and what was supposed to be the 13th power Harlan Co. and add to that Pineville making it to the region semis just goes to show you how weak this region really is. Not a knock on those two, just knocking the entire region for being really weak. Hopefully this region can get back to having some pretty strong teams in the near future.
hoops_town Wrote:I think everyone knew Sizemore is a very good coach and it doesnt hurt having the legend , Roscoe Denny, at his side either. But lets not overlook the fact that the 13th is probably the weakest region in the state. The fact that Middlesboro made it to the region after beating Bell Co. and what was supposed to be the 13th power Harlan Co. and add to that Pineville making it to the region semis just goes to show you how weak this region really is. Not a knock on those two, just knocking the entire region for being really weak. Hopefully this region can get back to having some pretty strong teams in the near future.

Yes it is down but not as bad as the 15th.
the 13th region is very weak..middlesboro beating harlan co on their home floor should give everyone a clue just how down it is. the 50th district was the weakeast i have seen in the last 20 years. corbin played a cupcake schedule,south laurel had no real inside game..whitley was...well pretty much whitley.williamsburg could be the team to beat in the future..lots of young talent.
Roscoe does it again. The man can flat out coach. He wins where ever he goes. Good for Brad and him.
The 13th should be a really good region next year.
The 13th region tourney has really surprised me, I am glad I didn't bet on this tournament because I don't think I predicted a single game correctly!
LeeCoUKFan Wrote:The 13th region tourney has really surprised me, I am glad I didn't bet on this tournament because I don't think I predicted a single game correctly!

You and me both brother. I predicted one first round game correct and that was North. From the begining I predicted North in the championship, but a semi finals win over South. But when Knox beat South I predicted them over North!

Great D by North and great win for the Jags.
^
I had Clay over Knox in the finals but i was really surprised to see Knox lose in the fashion they did.
Evans never seems to be able to get over the hump.
Im really surprised that no one in the 13th snatched up Elam.
I would have loved to seen Coach Elam come to Whitley.
Quote:Evans never seems to be able to get over the hump.

I have double checked the box scores and I am having trouble finding where Coach Evans played. <sarcsm off>. Game plan wasnt executed, players failed to score. Players failed to defend. Coach Evans puts his kids in the position to win games, it is up to them to execute what he draws up. Against NL they failed to do so. NL executed their game plan and thus won the game. Congratz NL, you were the better team that night.

Whitley would be in the same shape as they are now with Elam. You cant belittle your players and laugh at them and tell them they wish they were as good as he was and expect to have good teams or ppl to want to play for him. I have heard many KC ppl say it was a blessing that they replaced him.
Hitters_Count Wrote:I have double checked the box scores and I am having trouble finding where Coach Evans played. <sarcsm off>. Game plan wasnt executed, players failed to score. Players failed to defend. Coach Evans puts his kids in the position to win games, it is up to them to execute what he draws up. Against NL they failed to do so. NL executed their game plan and thus won the game. Congratz NL, you were the better team that night.

Whitley would be in the same shape as they are now with Elam. You cant belittle your players and laugh at them and tell them they wish they were as good as he was and expect to have good teams or ppl to want to play for him. I have heard many KC ppl say it was a blessing that they replaced him.

They did make it to two regional finals in the short time he was there, and also won the 50th with the five team district back to back for the first time in a long time. He must have been doing something right. I would have to agree with RIUG on this one!!!!
He had one of the better players that KC ever had, especially recently. Kris Mills was a great guard who could shoot and get to the rack. Size was his only downfall. Plus plenty of role players. I agree Elam didnt do bad but he also caused lots of kids to transfer which resulted in Barbourville losing a heart breaker to SL in the region finals. Bville had 4 kids who attended knox county until 8th grade on their region runner up team. They lost to Proffit and all of those guys from South
RichBrooks Wrote:He had one of the better players that KC ever had, especially recently. Kris Mills was a great guard who could shoot and get to the rack. Size was his only downfall. Plus plenty of role players. I agree Elam didnt do bad but he also caused lots of kids to transfer which resulted in Barbourville losing a heart breaker to SL in the region finals. Bville had 4 kids who attended knox county until 8th grade on their region runner up team. They lost to Proffit and all of those guys from South

Please......he did a fantastic coaching job that year.
Elam is a good coach, 100 times better than Evans.

Mills was a great player but i think it would be hard to say he was even top 5 in the region that year. Vance of Bville, Mills of Corbin, and several other were better than Mills.
Elam got them there.
Hitters_Count Wrote:I have double checked the box scores and I am having trouble finding where Coach Evans played. <sarcsm off>. Game plan wasnt executed, players failed to score. Players failed to defend. Coach Evans puts his kids in the position to win games, it is up to them to execute what he draws up. Against NL they failed to do so. NL executed their game plan and thus won the game. Congratz NL, you were the better team that night.

I would take Elam over Evans any day of the week.
You have heard parents say it was a blessing they replaced him maybe.
But Elam could light a fire under those boys asses. I loved how he coached his teams. If he were still there you all would be saying the same.
Evans is a flat out joke IMO. I watched him coach for years and he doesnt relate to kids at all. He needs to be right back where he belongs and thats an assistant NAIA basketball coach. Im sure he fit the bill there but in high school, he is just not the man for the job.
Evans let the Barger brothers shoot them out of the game. They had Merida and #30 inside but did little to try to get the ball to them. So where does the blame lie. I would say with the coach because he continued to let the Barger boys run around dribbling like a chicken with its head cut off looking for a shot , while never running any plays to get Merida or #30 the ball in the paint where they had a decisive advantage.
I agree with RIUG. Elam was a great coach. But I dont see anyone fitting in and winning at Whitley with some of the things ive heard about the administration over there.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I would take Elam over Evans any day of the week.
You have heard parents say it was a blessing they replaced him maybe.
But Elam could light a fire under those boys asses. I loved how he coached his teams. If he were still there you all would be saying the same.
Evans is a flat out joke IMO. I watched him coach for years and he doesnt relate to kids at all. He needs to be right back where he belongs and thats an assistant NAIA basketball coach. Im sure he fit the bill there but in high school, he is just not the man for the job.

I agree, I think some kids didn't like the way Elam got after them so they may have left. He took the kids that wanted to play and work and he got them to the finals two times. I watched them play while he was there and they were always one of the best man to man defensive teams in the region. Very physical while guarding. Which many people don't understand, that means a lot in high school basketball!!!!
^
Parents didnt like Elam because he was an old school, kick your ass type of coach, which is very rare these days. The ones who are still around win, and win a lot.
Coaches are to scared to even get up in kids faces anymore.