Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Clay Co. 66 - Harlan Co. 58 (1st Rd 13th Region)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final from Corbin!

From what I heard, Clay was down by 1 before scoring 5 straight points and then forcing Harlan to start fouling.
Harlan Co. 12 12 12 22 58
Clay Co. 9 16 23 18 66

13th Region at The Arena in Corbin

Harlan Co. (27-6) -- Calton 3, A. Caldwell 6, Z. Caldwell 3, Sergent 12, Brewer 15, Massingale 18, Bond 1.

Clay Co. (23-10) -- Lyttle 12, Wagers 2, Reed 13, McGeorge 11, McDaniel 17, Word 7, Kemp 4.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2009/12/02/10403...rylink=cpy
I'm not sure about that. Clay was up 12 to start the 4th qtr. and also up 9 with 3 min. to go. I know Harlan Co. had cut it to 59-57 with 1 min. to go, then Clay went up 61-58. Harlan Co. must have been forced to foul after that since the final score was 66-58. I think it was tied at the half.
These two should be battling next year as well. Harlan Co. returns Sarget, Massengale and Brewer(all juniors). Clay will return Lyttle, Wagers, McDaniel(freshman) and Reed.
Great game by both teams, Harlan Co. had several chances in the final 3 or 4 minutes to steal this game back from Clay.
Congrats Clay Co!!
Clay pretty much controlled the entire second half.
I had Clay and Knox in the finals.
Looks like that is very possible.
Reed and McDaniel made big shots when Clay needed them. I thought missed opportunities at the line by Harlan Co. and Clay's big man Lyttle was the difference in the game. Congrats to Clay Co., I believe Harlan Co. was the only team that could beat the Tigers.
Mountain Wrote:Reed and McDaniel made big shots when Clay needed them. I thought missed opportunities at the line by Harlan Co. and Clay's big man Lyttle was the difference in the game. Congrats to Clay Co., I believe Harlan Co. was the only team that could beat the Tigers.

That's pretty accurate. With 4:03 left in the game, Harlan County was behind by 19 points. When we pulled within 2 points, I thought we had a chance but it wasn't to be.

So congratulations Clay County Tigers AND Pineville Mountain Lions. They pulled off a stunning victory against Corbin in the second game.
Dang. I was wanting to see HC come away with the win.
Granny Bear Wrote:That's pretty accurate. With 4:03 left in the game, Harlan County was behind by 19 points. When we pulled within 2 points, I thought we had a chance but it wasn't to be.

So congratulations Clay County Tigers AND Pineville Mountain Lions. They pulled off a stunning victory against Corbin in the second game.

Granny:
Are you the only Blackbear fan in the bball forums?
Zaga:
Nope Gut has been yelling around with several others!
Confusednicker:
You've got to give credit where it is due and Clay Co. was very impressive. They've got a nice team. I thought Lyttle was sensational in the 1st Half. His offensive rebounding prowless and the ability to score around the rim carried Clay Co. in the first two quarters. Then, Reed went nuts in the third quarter. He had 13 points alone in that period and that's the quarter that Clay Co. spread it out from a one point halftime lead to a 12-point lead heading into the fourth. Harlan Co. showed heart, battled back, but it just wasn't enough.

Clay Co. will be a tough out in this tournament. They didn't get much at all from their big kid inside (Wagers) and still beat a good Harlan Co. team. It will be very difficult for someone to knock them out. Their personnel is a lot better than I expected.

Congratulations to Harlan Co. on a great year (27-6), to Mike Jones for being named 13th Region Coach of the Year, and best of luck Clay Co. the rest of the way.
Can McDaniel shoot as good as he can putt?:biggrin::golf: He was KHSAA Mr. Golf this past season.
Granny Bear Wrote:Zaga:
Nope Gut has been yelling around with several others!
Confusednicker:

lol yea, there around, just not after losses :hilarious:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:lol yea, there around, just not after losses :hilarious:

I'm pretty sure we congratulated Clay Co. on their victory graciously UNLIKE some people who blamed everything in the world except for the team in their first round loss to North Laurel in the Girls Tournament!
^^
Ahemmmm......
I am here, after wins and losses.
And I still support my Black Bears and Lady Bears!!
Well the only game I predicted correctly in this tourny was North. Congrats to Clay on an impressive win.