Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Severe storms in Kentucky today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If you haven't heard already, there's tornado watches/warnings and flood warnings for pretty much all of East KY...these storms have killed quite a few people in the midwest and wiped entire towns off the map in the last 24 hours, and is nothing to play with.

Here's the forecast for Pikeville. Just type your zipcode in the upper right hand corner and it'll give you your local forecast.

http://www.weather.com/weather/today/41501:4:US

I'm telling you peeps, don't think this is the normal strong storms we get all the time, because it's not. If you're on the road when this hits, stop somewhere unless you want your windshield shattered.

Real-time coverage on WYMT.

We haven't really experienced winds and hail as powerful as these in East KY that many times, so I'm afraid alot of people won't worry about this and go do their business anyway. Big mistake I think. Anyway, several counties and cities have cancelled school already and are letting out early, so you know it's pretty serious if school is letting out for a storm other than a winter storm or flooding...watch yourselves.
Well I delayed my trip from Lexington to Harlan at 4:30 a.m. because of the storm!!
Harlan County also released school about an hour ago due to "inclement weather".
Guess we better batton down!!
I am in Jamestown (Russell County), this is what I posted on Facebook, thought I might share it here as well:

Talk about 'hitting close to home', there is a tree down in the backyard that wasn't down before. Thank you Lord for your sustaining grace, both physically and spiritually. (No damages and the tree is not in the way of anything, so I wont even have to move it)
I'm glad most people are giving the storm the respect it deserves and are getting indoors...
Glad you're ok LWC!!
My Cousins Wife just wrecked in Williamson And totaled her car. She said it was the wind but im not for sure. Be careful on the roads.
LWC Wrote:I am in Jamestown (Russell County), this is what I posted on Facebook, thought I might share it here as well:

Talk about 'hitting close to home', there is a tree down in the backyard that wasn't down before. Thank you Lord for your sustaining grace, both physically and spiritually. (No damages and the tree is not in the way of anything, so I wont even have to move it)
Thankfully that is the worst that happened to you.

Just talked to my wife she said it had been raining hard all day in Shelbyville, they had been under a tornado watch all day. From the looks of the forecast this front will be coming through North Carolina sometime through the night. Hope it's not too severe.
lol...we're gonna die people.
It was the entire state, not just EKY. We got hit pretty hard in NKY with Tornado touchdowns aplenty!
West Liberty just took a direct hit from a tornado, unconfirmed reports of multiple injuries and fatalities, everyone stay safe out there...
Sounds like the weather is just crazy all over Kentucky today.
I just got off the phone with my parents who live in Raceland and they were under a tornado warning, my mom said that a tornado was spotted in Grayson and my dad said there was tornado spotted in Portmouth, OH, just across the river a few miles from my parents.
My mother-in-law in Shelbyville said a tornado was spotted in Eastern Shelby Co.. They are in clear and safe now.
This is how bad things are, Jim Cantore made a trip to Louisville today for the storms.
Where ever you are, be safe and smart today/tonight.
[Image: 1fjQSy.AuSt.79.jpg]
Firefighters with the Jeffersonville Fire Department do a room-by-room search of the Henryville Middle School following severe storms

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/03/02/20923...rylink=cpy
We dodged a bullet here in Louisville but many cities in Southern Indiana were devastated, especially Maryville and Henryville who were destroyed by a large tornado. Many injuries and fatalities have been reported in Southern Indiana and now I'm hearing reports of many tornadoes with damage and fatalities in Eastern Kentucky. Everyone be safe and take cover!
Everybody be safe and stay in doors!
I made the thread on Wednesday Dust, that's why it says East Ky.

Just told that Hager Hill in Johnson County was leveled. Got family in West Liberty, can't get ahold of them.
It got pretty bad here in Richmond!

Hope everyone is ok!
Looks like Kenton, Menifee, Morgan, Magoffin, Johnson, & Laurel Counties took the biggest hit during this tornado outbreak.

10 confirmed deaths in Kentucky and that toll is rising.

Prayers go out to everyone involved in the severe weather today.
Add martin to that list. 2 unconfirmed tornados in lovely and 2030. I've never seen anything like it Geoff. Houses and buildings just demolished. A building I worked at 6the months ago is gone. Leveled.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Add martin to that list. 2 unconfirmed tornados in lovely and 2030. I've never seen anything like it Geoff. Houses and buildings just demolished. A building I worked at 6the months ago is gone. Leveled.

I am SOOOOO damn glad I didn't come down today man...
I just got in from checking on some family and I live right outside the Lovely area in martin county and I have never seen anything like this in my life.
Y'all have my prayers. If you have pics, please post them.
vundy33 Wrote:I am SOOOOO damn glad I didn't come down today man...

Well u would have been gone by then. But def understand. I'm in awe right now.
I canceled by trip to Paintsville yesterday after looking at weather radar maps. Collista and Hager Hill were hard hit and Paintsville Highschool was damaged. Apparently phone service is out and WSIP was off the air the last time that I tried to download the stream. I am still trying to reach my parents to make sure that they are OK but it sounds like West Liberty was hardest hit.

Also, a tornado did heavy damage to the area of Salyersville that contains McDonalds, Lee's, etc. Police are rerouting Lexington bound traffic to US 23 and I-64.
I've been watching WYMT all morning, this stuff is mesmerizing...
West Liberty appears to have been completely devistated, as many other places in Kentucky. Wow. My heart and my prayers are with you guys.

We had three tornado warnings last night and I personally witnessed one rotating cloud to pass over head. After things settled down, we got a few family members, some tarps, tools and such and headed out. We saw some wind damage, and some large hail, but most folks were okay. The ones that needed some help, already had their problems taken care of by neighbors who lived close by.

In all this devistation, one thing that I can be proud of is the way our neighbors will help each other. I mean, there's lots of things that are negative in our area, but when the chips are down most folks will rise to the ocassion. That seems to be the case in most parts of Kentucky.

Praying for other victims.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I canceled by trip to Paintsville yesterday after looking at weather radar maps. Collista and Hager Hill were hard hit and Paintsville Highschool was damaged. Apparently phone service is out and WSIP was off the air the last time that I tried to download the stream. I am still trying to reach my parents to make sure that they are OK but it sounds like West Liberty was hardest hit.

Also, a tornado did heavy damage to the area of Salyersville that contains McDonalds, Lee's, etc. Police are rerouting Lexington bound traffic to US 23 and I-64.
Just got back from Salyersville. Yes the Mountain Parkway area of Salyersville is gone, along with my brother in laws house at the starting end of the hit. The college Hts area(where the Magoffin high school is) is wiped out. They are saying it was maybe an F3, or at least the upper end of the F2 scale. Hager Hill and Collista was bad looking also, but nothing like West Liberty and Salyersville.
Pages: 1 2