Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: North Laurel 57 - Whitley County 55
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Upsets do happen....
What a game

Upset in the 13th Region
Coming into this game:

Whitley County (23-6)

North Laurel (8-24)

Whitley County won both regular season meetings (50-38 & 75-58)
This would have to be one of the biggest upsets in the 13 Region. I think H.C. will be a favorite to face Clay for the Championship...
This loss will cause a lot of grumbling in Colonel Country. I thought Whitley had a shot to win the region, guess I was wrong.
W-o-w!!!!
North came in running the same offense as used by the Univ. of Cumberlands. Their coach was an assistant there. Larry Anderson did not have a clue as to what to do. Kept his Big on the bench most of the game even though she was playing well and finished with 10 pts. She could of had 20 plus if he would have got her the ball. If I am not mistaken, her only miss was the last second shot while getting fouled that she missed. Just the most stupid job of coaching I have ever seen. YOU DONT SET YOUR STARTERS LATE IN THE GAME WHEN THE GAME IS ON THE LINE. YOU GO WITH WHAT GOT YOU HERE AND NOT YOUR SUBS!!!! It is almost like he lost the game on purpose.....what a waste...cause this team could have gone deep with a decent coach. Just feel so bad for the girls......Do us a favor Larry Anderson....RETIRE LIKE YOU SAID YOU WOULD!!!!!
WOW. I thought Whitley Co. would contend for the Regional title against Clay County. So much for that. I'd say with this happening, Clay County's road to another title is a little bit easier. But Harlan County may give them a run for there money.
i guess brow man is still crying..LOL
Basketball Wizzard Wrote:North came in running the same offense as used by the Univ. of Cumberlands. Their coach was an assistant there. Larry Anderson did not have a clue as to what to do. Kept his Big on the bench most of the game even though she was playing well and finished with 10 pts. She could of had 20 plus if he would have got her the ball. If I am not mistaken, her only miss was the last second shot while getting fouled that she missed. Just the most stupid job of coaching I have ever seen. YOU DONT SET YOUR STARTERS LATE IN THE GAME WHEN THE GAME IS ON THE LINE. YOU GO WITH WHAT GOT YOU HERE AND NOT YOUR SUBS!!!! It is almost like he lost the game on purpose.....what a waste...cause this team could have gone deep with a decent coach. Just feel so bad for the girls......Do us a favor Larry Anderson....RETIRE LIKE YOU SAID YOU WOULD!!!!!

Every post is about the same player. She got the ball on two of the last three possessions.
wc should have won in a big way. my heart goes out to these young lady's. they was one of the best I was lucky to see this year. how can you lose this one. not to take anything from north but if I was at Williamsburg or Corbin I would just say my program has made some good points for my team in the next few years. this seem to happen again. wc comes out with great group of young girls but fail to win in the big ones.
To be honest, im not real surprised to see this happen.
Young teams do this.
What people have to understand is that every player on this team returns next year except for Anderson.

Ive always been a silent critic of Anderson but tonight really showed why he's never been able to get over the hump.

Congrats to the girls on a great season. Next year is just around the corner.
To be honest?

I haven't noticed anything about the possibility of an early exit.

I do think Whitley will probably come in No. 1 next year. Maybe you'll agree with the rankings then.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:To be honest, im not real surprised to see this happen.
Young teams do this.
What people have to understand is that every player on this team returns next year except for Anderson.

Ive always been a silent critic of Anderson but tonight really showed why he's never been able to get over the hump.

Congrats to the girls on a great season. Next year is just around the corner.

Really?

"Were on a collision course with Clay and you'll be the second team to find that out."

That was your response to me simply suggesting that Harlan County would be able to play with Whitley County. Doesn't sound like you thought this would or could happen.

Anyway, congrats to North on the upset and to Whitley on a very good season.
HDE Wrote:Every post is about the same player. She got the ball on two of the last three possessions.

Because he is an idiot when it comes to coaching and playing his Big girl inside. He has limited her potential all season long. Either he needs to go....or she does..... where she will be utilized and reach her potential. It is obvious he doesn't appreciate what he has.... He is nothing but a LOSER!
I have to agree with HDE and HC Card on this one. I like Whitley, and their chances next year, but Brow has not been very reasonable or even receptive to discussion in a lot of these threads until now.

Congrats to NL.
Well, it looked to me like Laurel Co took Whitley Co totally out of their game. When Whitley would finally get the ball, they would rush their offense and make poor shot decisions. That didn't happen all game, but in the first half it did give Laurel a huge leg up..Whitley could never recover.

The younger the team is, the more effective this could be, too.

So congrats to Whitley girls for a great season, and congrats to Laurel for the win

Go Lady Bears!!!!!
This was the first time that I got to see Whitley Co. play this year and my honest opinion is that they obviously had a very, very good team but not a team full of individual talent. The Smith kid was a good shooter but there's absolutely no way she'd ever be able to get that shot off in college without setting a trillion screens to get her wide open. It just starts way too low. I'll have to say I was most impressed with #11. I believe her name is Powers. Boy, she has an engine that never stops! Not only that, she hit some huge clutch shots just to keep them in it and give her team a chance to tie or win at the end of the game.

As far as the tactics of the game, I just couldn't understand why Coach Anderson stayed in the man-to-man early in the game when it was obvious that NO ONE could stay with Ashley Woolum one-on-one. I thought maybe a trapping zone to get the ball out of her hands and put pressure on Noth Laurel's other guards would have been more appropriate. But certainly not questioning Coach Anderson, what a class act and a terrific coach he's been for the Whitley Co. Lady Colonels for so many years!

As an observer, it was clear that Ashley Woolum was the best player on the floor!!! There's no disputing that. However, it was the outside shooting of Bruner and Proffitt that I thought was the difference, especially early in the game, which gave North Laurel a big lead.

Also, one last point about Whitley Co. that I've made all year is that they did own quality regional wins over Harlan, Harlan Co., and played Clay Co. close BUT all of those games were at home. It's much different away from your home gym with different referees and not just the home fans.

Perhaps North Laurel had a great game plan and executed it perfectly. Or, perhaps Whitley Co. was a little overhyped and that crash course they were on to challenge Clay Co. just came to a screeching halt!!!

Congratulations to North Laurel and great season Whitley Co.!!! You'll be back next year and hopefully it is with Larry Anderson!!!!!!!!!!
IMO the reason the Craig girl sat most of the game was her inability to defend in the open court. When she had to go out, she became a liability to her team. She is an average post player at best. She had the ball in her hands and failed to score on a play that a good post player such as Madden, Mullins, Taylor or Gregory would have made. She allowed a smaller player to push her off her shot resulting in shooting the ball over the rim. She will get better in time, but she has to realize she needs work on the Defensive end so she can stay in games. I do agree Coach Anderson seemed shell shocked and didnt make adjustments to the NL game plan. I believe he felt his team would kick it in gear at some point and come roaring back to win.
2/27/2012
North Laurel 57
Whitley Co. 55
North Laurel 18 12 8 19 57
Whitley Co. 8 10 17 20 55
13th Region at Corbin Arena
North Laurel (9-24) -- Woolum 7, Profitt 15, Wyatt 7, Bruner 17, Boggs 9, Ellington 2.
Whitley Co. (23-7) -- Anderson 3, Johnson 5, Craig 10, Powers 13, Smith 18, Jones 2, Dingess 2.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/11/23/15374...rylink=cpy
Hitters_Count Wrote:IMO the reason the Craig girl sat most of the game was her inability to defend in the open court. When she had to go out, she became a liability to her team. She is an average post player at best. She had the ball in her hands and failed to score on a play that a good post player such as Madden, Mullins, Taylor or Gregory would have made. She allowed a smaller player to push her off her shot resulting in shooting the ball over the rim. She will get better in time, but she has to realize she needs work on the Defensive end so she can stay in games. I do agree Coach Anderson seemed shell shocked and didnt make adjustments to the NL game plan. I believe he felt his team would kick it in gear at some point and come roaring back to win.
You obviously don't know basketball at all. If Craig was such a liability defensively then tell why Woolum only had a total of 7 pts for the game and Craig had 10pts even though she sat alot. When she was in the game she was guarding Woolum who did not score on her not even one time. Yes she would drive to the bucket but Craig would recover at the rim and try to block her shot....this would cause her to miss and Craig would get the rebound. It might have looked like she was getting beat in the open floor, but she did not get beat where it counted and that's at the bucket. And for you to say she is only an average post player at best is totally stupid....you definitely showed yourself with that statement.....I got news for you too.....she made a great move with two girls fouling her to get off the last shot that rolled off the rim. Bottom line......we lost this game due to terrible coaching...period!
shocked at this outcome... overbay will be the new womens coach and a new anderson will be the boys head coach... theory that I heard last year... it will be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of months.... if this is true than more resources will be placed on basketball and football will be left out in the cold.
I would venture to say I have forgotten more basketball than you know Wizztard. Points dont define everything dude. Everytime Craig got beat, she left her teammates hung out to dry trying to pick up her man. Basically playing 4 on 5. How many times did Ashley kick out to a shooter who scored? YES, she was a defensive liability, face it. NL had a superior game plan and WC fought well but couldnt quite finish. There are at least 4-5 much better post players in the 13th than Craig right now. She will be good later, but to say she is in the elite is completely moronic on your part. Madden, Mullins, Arthur, Evans, Gregory are better post players.
HDE Wrote:To be honest?

I haven't noticed anything about the possibility of an early exit.

I do think Whitley will probably come in No. 1 next year. Maybe you'll agree with the rankings then.

Tell me anyone who thought Whitley would have lost this game.....

Kinda reminds me of the way the Harlan County boys got there ass kicked by mboro in the district....
HarlanCountyCard Wrote:Really?

"Were on a collision course with Clay and you'll be the second team to find that out."

That was your response to me simply suggesting that Harlan County would be able to play with Whitley County. Doesn't sound like you thought this would or could happen.

Anyway, congrats to North on the upset and to Whitley on a very good season.

Please, if Whitley would have played to there potential, thats what would of happened and your ass would have been no where to be found.

We'll see what happens next year.

One thing is for sure, Clay will kill everybody left now.

Considering that North is only the second 13th region team that has beaten us all year other than a 4 point loss to clay, you Harlan Co fans have no room to talk after we spanked you a couple of weeks ago. The birds sure were chirping after that shellacking and you all were no where to be found.
I had one of the first posts after the Harlan County-Whitley County game.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Tell me anyone who thought Whitley would have lost this game.....

Kinda reminds me of the way the Harlan County boys got there ass kicked by mboro in the district....

Not me, but you just said you weren't surprised to see something like this happen.
Congrats North Laurel
Game First: I thought that North Laurel played the perfect game and they had to make plays early for the game plan to work. They did make shots and made plays, Whitley on the other hand did not make plays, every player on the floor in the first half had not intensity and appeared to be waiting for somebody...anybody to step and show some leadership and make some plays. North understood that they could not score in the half court against the Whitley defense, but they took Whitley out of that defense and made it a one on one game, which worked. Whitley's post could not guard North's post out on the floor, and they used that all night long, North would drive and dish for easy baskets. Whitley's post could not keep the ball in front of her and that was the first few nails in the coffin of the Lady Colonels season. The next few nails were the missed layups and silly turnover the Lady Colonels had. Give Whitley some credit, they never stopped fighting and continued to work hard down to the last second. Whitley's post had a good shot and it just did not fall, it was not the coaches fault, it did not fall, it happens, I give here credit she took the shot.

Now, I am shocked at some of the comments I have seen from Basketball Wizzard. At no time should anyone demean student athlete who has worked so hard to get to level where she can lead her team in scoring. Every kid out there wanted to win, and nobody should get on these boards and call for a coach to retire. They are teachers and coaches and they want to win more than anyone, and it is the way they make their living. When the post got beat out on the floor, they had to help with two player and although she did not score (the north post) she did have a bunch of assists which is just as good as she would drive and dish...easy bucket.

One last comment: Dads should be banned from this commenting on sports where their kids are playing.
Basketball Wizzard Wrote:You obviously don't know basketball at all. If Craig was such a liability defensively then tell why Woolum only had a total of 7 pts for the game and Craig had 10pts even though she sat alot. When she was in the game she was guarding Woolum who did not score on her not even one time. Yes she would drive to the bucket but Craig would recover at the rim and try to block her shot....this would cause her to miss and Craig would get the rebound. It might have looked like she was getting beat in the open floor, but she did not get beat where it counted and that's at the bucket. And for you to say she is only an average post player at best is totally stupid....you definitely showed yourself with that statement.....I got news for you too.....she made a great move with two girls fouling her to get off the last shot that rolled off the rim. Bottom line......we lost this game due to terrible coaching...period!

Whitley lost the game because North played better and did not cave in when Whitley made runs, there were too many turnovers, bad shots and missed shots for Whitley to win. Also Whitley had the tallest player on the floor and North KILLED Whitley on the boards, no excuse for that. North outworked Whitley on the boards and that is another reason whey they won. Also how many free throws did Coach Anderson miss.....as a matter of fact, I did not see him at the line but I did see a bunch missed by all the players who attempted them. Turnovers at key times, the post got the ball deep and tried to dribble and lost the ball and North went down and scored, a four point turn around right there, now she did make the basket which got them to within two, and THEN ALL FIVE PLAYERS worked together to get a 5 second call, and it took all five player working their tailends off to get it. THEN Whitley missed the layup to tie it up. She may have had some contact but there was no foul....at least the way that game had been played. She is the biggest strongest player on the floor she should have been able to absorb the contact, the ball did not fall and Whitley lost. It was not her fault, the TEAM lost it takes five to win and five to lose....don't point fingers, it is juvenile and embarrassing to everyone on the board.

Bottom line is this: You win as a team and you lose as a team!!!!
Pages: 1 2 3