Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Simon Kenton 51 - Anderson County 49 (8th Region Tournament)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final

Simon Kenton upsets the host Lady Bearcats.
Wow. I expected AC to make it farther than this. Did not predict an upset here.
I thought AC would win this one, as well.
Strange game. AC coach did not put in Sydney Brown until there was less than 4 minutes in the game.
unior forward Paige Bosse hit a pair of free throws with 12 seconds remaining to provide the winning margin as Simon Kenton advanced to the semifinals of the Eighth Region girls’ tournament with a 51-49 win Monday night against Anderson County at Anderson County.

The win was the ninth in the last 10 games for the Pioneers, the No. 7 team in the final Enquirer Northern Kentucky coaches’ poll. Simon Kenton takes a 21-10 record into Friday’s semifinal against South Oldham.

Sophomore guard Abby Owings led Simon Kenton with 14 points, while Bosse came off the bench to score 10 points. Normally a starter, Bosse had been sick the past couple of days so coach Jeff Stowers decided to start sophomore Sarah Tomlin instead.

Simon Kenton led by as many as 14 points in the first half and had to hold off a rally by Anderson County, which took a lead with less than a minute to play. Simon Kenton scored its final nine points from the free throw line to end Anderson County’s 10-game winning streak. The Bearcats finish the season 24-6.

“Our game plan worked to perfection tonight,” said Stowers. “Our girls are peaking at the right time.”

The teams did not play in the regular season but this was their fourth meeting in the regional tournament in the last five years. The previous three had been in the championship game.

Anderson County got 20 points from sophomore guard MacKenzie Cann and 18 points from sophomore forward Eriel McKee. The pair combined for 30 of Anderson County’s 33 points in the second half but Stowers credited the defense of sophomore Christina Cook with making Cann earn her points.

“She was our all-star tonight,” said Stowers. “She did a great job. She really bothered Cann. Cann is six-foot-one and (Cook) just stayed in her face and made it hard for her to put the ball on the ground.”

South Oldham beat the Pioneers 72-54 in December. South Oldham is 26-4 after beating Gallatin County 66-51 Monday.

“We were up at half (in the regular season) and they dominated us in the second half,” said Stowers. “But they’re a different team and we’re a different team.”
Simon Kenton (21-10) – Owing 5 3 14, Stephenson 2 3 7, Cook 3 2 8, Cox 4 0 8, Morrison 1 0 2, Bosse 3 4 10, Tomlin 0 2 2. Totals 18 14 51.

Anderson County (24-6) – Whiteside 1 0 2, Cann 7 5 20, Avitt 0 1 1, McKee 7 3 18, Robinson 4 0 8. Totals 19 9 49.

Halftime: Simon Kenton, 26-14. 3-pointers: SK – 1 (Owings); AC – 2 (Cann, McKee).
St. Henry 43, Holmes 34: The Crusaders earned their fourth consecutive trip to the regional semifinals behind 11 points from Jessica Knaley and 10 from Jill Bauer and a 15-for-19 shooting performance from the free-throw line.

“I think the free throws, for sure, were big,” Knaley said.

The Crusaders (25-6), ranked sixth, trailed by five in the second quarter against the Bulldogs (16-14), who were looking for their first semifinal appearance since 2007. St. Henry closed the half on a 5-0 run to tie it.

There were five tie scores in the third.

Knaley’s basket gave St. Henry the lead for good at 29-27 with 6:26 to play in the fourth. From there, the Crusaders hit 12 of 14 from the line.

“In the first half, we were very stationary on offense and not very aggressive,” St. Henry coach Brian Coburn said. “In the second half, we focused on being more aggressive and get inside their zone.”

St. Henry hit six free throws during an 8-0 run midway through the fourth.

“Our turnovers is what we struggled with. And we’re an extremely young team and we made lack-of-experience mistakes,” said Holmes coach Scott Calcaterra.

Holmes had just three scorers, led by freshman Deja Turner’s 17 points and Tamra Holder’s 12.
Congrats S.K.
bhamgirl Wrote:Strange game. AC coach did not put in Sydney Brown until there was less than 4 minutes in the game.

She hardly played at all in the district championship against Collins. I think they only had 2 points and didn't do anything even when she was in.
blue1424 Wrote:She hardly played at all in the district championship against Collins. I think they only had 2 points and didn't do anything even when she was in.

Wow! Seems really odd, she is very big and in the past has dominated the post. Oh, well.
bhamgirl Wrote:Wow! Seems really odd, she is very big and in the past has dominated the post. Oh, well.

I was surprised to see her not play very much, especially since Collins is undersized. She had a great career at Anderson County and was a dominant post player. I wish her the best of luck at Jacksonville State.