Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Powell County vs. Letcher County Central (14th Region - 1st Round)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Who do you have in this one? Don't think that these two teams have played.

I'd say Letcher 52-40.
Letcher Central-56
Powell Co-49
Powell County

They have the guards that if they get hot from the outside especially Marcum they can fill it up in a hurry and they have the bigs to go with Stewart
I'm going against what my head says and pick Powell in a barn-burner.

Powell 58
Letcher 55
Powell Co. by 3. They're due to win one in regions. I think the last time they got past the first round was when they won it all in 2003. Powell County-62. Letcher Central-59
Marcum can get hot. He will be the X factor but Letcher has size and ask Camron Justice. LCC has locked down shooters at times. This game has so man elements because it pairs (arguably) the weakest 1 and the strongest 2.
letcher 65

Powell 55
This is a tough one to call, these teams are probably the most evenly matched in the Region. With that said, I think that Letcher Central pulls out a close one.

Letcher Central - 61

Powell Co. - 58
Letcher by 10
Powell by 3
LCC by 4
Powell can shoot the 3 and score some points, so there could be a possibility of an upset in this one, but don't look for it to happen. Letcher to strong inside, Letcher by 10.
On paper LCC should win by as many as they want, but it's tournament time and anything can happen. I think LCC by 10+ and I also think LCC will be in the championship game.
All depends on whether powells big man can stay out of foul trouble. Being 6'7" he can bang w lcc's bigs. If he isnt on the floor lcc will dominate the inside. Powell's shooters will have to knock down shots as well. Horrible draw for powell in the first round cuz they already beat wolfe twice an hazard once. This being said imma take powell in a close one if they can limit turnovers an offensive rebounds. Powell by 4. 68-64
Marcum is the X factor imo for Powell. He knocked down 3s from everywhere against Owsley all 3 games they played this year. But I noticed against Estill in the championship game he had only 4 points, so he's either hot or cold. If they don't contain him from behind the arc, it may be a long night for the Cougars. Plus, Powell has Dennis for an inside game. I don't think he's 6'7 though, more like 6'5. That's just from observation by standing close to him. Most bigs in the 14th are never the heights they're listed. That's true for most high schools, not just the mountains.
Im sure Logan Johnson will be on Marcum like peanut butter on jelly..With that said LCC by 8.

LCC- 68
Powell-60
Letcher by 1
I am a very good friend of the dennis family an i kno when zach went to get his tests for his heart he measured in a 6'6 1/2" with no shoes on so im assuming he is 6'7" with them on. This was like a month ago
But even if marcum doesnt pkay good powell can still win. He is the streakiest shooter i have ever seen. Sometimes he tries to force even when its not goin in but if he gets hot he can shoot lights out. I still blieve the inside men of powell will b the key. If they can stop lcc's bigsi think powell can win
I am still going with Letcher Central in this game but, the more and more I think about it, Powell County could definitely be the Darkhorse team in the tournament. They have the big man in Zach Dennis who can handle any other team's big man in the region as long as he stays out of foul trouble and you have Trey Marcum and Matt Pelfrey who can both light it up from the 3 point line. Also, with Powell being from the 56th I think most teams may count them out, viewing them as a weaker team when they're not.
Powell has 0 chance of winning this game. If powell keeps it close it will be because Hammons slows the game to a crawl and Powell hits alot of 3's early. Coach Hall will win the Coaching battle but LCC will win the game-TO MUCH TALENT
LCC by 12.
LCC's defense and size just a little to much in this one, unless the worst coach in this region chocks!!
LCC-62
Powell-54
thegr81 Wrote:Powell has 0 chance of winning this game. If powell keeps it close it will be because Hammons slows the game to a crawl and Powell hits alot of 3's early. Coach Hall will win the Coaching battle but LCC will win the game-TO MUCH TALENT

Why???

They have basicly the same records for the season overall play, and in the region (Powell 19-12, 13-5, Letcher 19-13, 11-5). Both have played a similar schedule. Powell beat Hazard by 5, lost to Knott by 14. Letcher lost to Hazard by 6, lost to Knott by 6, 10, and 4. Letcher did beat Breathitt at home by 3, and Powell didn't fair very well against Breathitt, losing by 22 and 14. But Powell is a better team right now than they were in the early season, they're playing their best basketball when it counts the most---at tournament time.

I think Letcher Central will win in a close one, but to say Powell has 0 chance of winning is wrong. I wouldn't consider it an upset if Powell won, that's for sure.
thegr81 Wrote:Powell has 0 chance of winning this game. If powell keeps it close it will be because Hammons slows the game to a crawl and Powell hits alot of 3's early. Coach Hall will win the Coaching battle but LCC will win the game-TO MUCH TALENT

LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Why???

They have basicly the same records for the season overall play, and in the region (Powell 19-12, 13-5, Letcher 19-13, 11-5). Both have played a similar schedule. Powell beat Hazard by 5, lost to Knott by 14. Letcher lost to Hazard by 6, lost to Knott by 6, 10, and 4. Letcher did beat Breathitt at home by 3, and Powell didn't fair very well against Breathitt, losing by 22 and 14. But Powell is a better team right now than they were in the early season, they're playing their best basketball when it counts the most---at tournament time.

I think Letcher Central will win in a close one, but to say Powell has 0 chance of winning is wrong. I wouldn't consider it an upset if Powell won, that's for sure.

I was wondering the same thing.

I really don't know how Powell has 0 chance. As everyone has said, this is most evenly matched game as far as the percentages go, I would probably give a 55/45 edge to Letcher Central. Powell Co can run to so, whether it's a run and gun game or a half court game Powell has just a good a chance as Letcher to win!
Johnson will shut down Marcum all over the floor and Stewart will take care of Dennis inside. LCC is the 2nd best defensive team in the region.(PCC being the 1st) But all those saying that say "Defense wins championships" are not looking so good right now, because you still need to put the ball in the hoop and get some points at some time. With that said, Stewart and Johnson will get in early foul trouble and Powell goes crazy from the 3 pt line and pulls the upset 65-58, Then, Coach Hammonds cleans out his office to make way for Coach Holland from Hazard.
Hammonds will stay in his office. LCC by 10.
UKisN1 Wrote:Hammonds will stay in his office. LCC by 10.

That may be the only way LCC will run away with the win,if Hammonds stays in his office!!:biglmao:
Good Luck Coach Hall & Powell CO....