Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Report: Pirates president charged with DUI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pittsburgh Pirates president Frank Coonelly has been charged with four counts related to a DUI back on December 22, reports the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Coonelly, 51, was reportedly driving the wrong way and had a blood alcohol content of over 0.16, which means he was more than twice the legal limit. This is Coonelly's first offense. He's currently with the Pirates for spring training in Bradenton, Fla. and has released the following statement, via Pittsburghlive.com:

Quote:"My actions that evening were irresponsible and wrong."

"I take full and sole responsibility for them. There is no excuse for ever driving under the influence of alcohol."

"My wife and I have preached to our children about the dangers of driving while under the influence of alcohol, not only for themselves but for the innocent drivers, passengers and pedestrians on the road," Coonelly said. "I am embarrassed that I failed to follow this advice myself on this occasion and extremely grateful no one was injured or adversely affected by this serious lapse of judgment."

"I have apologized to my wife and children, to Bob Nutting and to all of those at the Pirates organization who work so tirelessly for the club. I would also like to apologize to all of the fans and friends of the Pittsburgh Pirates. My conduct that night was uncharacteristic to my personally held values and not who I am. I will learn from this serious lapse of judgment."

Coonelly has a wife and four children. Prior to taking over as the Pirates' president in September of 2007, he was Major League Baseball's general counsel, where he advised on arbitration hearings, draft bonuses and the like. Before that, he was a lawyer in private practice in the Washington D.C. area.

His arraignment is scheduled for March 20.

http://eye-on-baseball.blogs.cbssports.c...2/34959543
Set up...freakin Florida cops..
You guys realize that this year marks the 20th anniversery of Sid Bream rounding third and scoring. One of three moments in sports I wish I could forget. The other two involve my Mountaineers.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:You guys realize that this year marks the 20th anniversery of Sid Bream rounding third and scoring. One of three moments in sports I wish I could forget. The other two involve my Mountaineers.
That should read "20th anniversary of Sid Bream rounding 3rd and getting thrown out at the plate"...I will go to my grave a bitter, bitter man, fighting my every last day believing he was out (he was). But, fast forward 20 years- Coonelly gets busted for DUI, and AJ Burnett broke his friggin orbital socket (James Harrison missed five weeks from the same injury). This is NOT the start I was hoping for :HitWall:
Well, MLB did expand the playoffs by 1 team in each league. I would just be happy to get one of those golden tickets.