Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Female Refs doing Boys Games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have had the misfortune of watching a particular female ref (Lori Edgington) in NKY on a number of occassions and I continue to be amazed that she seems to get assigned to a number of high profile games. She has a hard time keeping up with the pace of the game and she is also well know for having "rabbit ears" for coaches and even fans in the stands. I hate to sound like a chauvinist but the 9th region has 2 or 3 female refs doing varsity games and to say they are medicore would be an overstatement. Just wondering How others feel about female refs doing boys games.
:Thumbs: The 9th region is an equal opportunity employer :Thumbs:

Lori isn't the worst official out there, but she is certainly sensitive to any opposition to her calls. Also, she is a level 3 official in her 11th year so chances are she's not going anywhere.

I don't care what race, gender, religion a ref is, just make sure the calls are fairly consistent and that the game is under control.
there's a woman who does some boys varsity in the 14th but i cant remember her name, but she isnt the best either. She rlly seems to show favoritism to some teams an certain coaches. im with toussaints idc who or what is reffing as long as they get the calls on the court fair an right
Their was a girl in the 16th Marla Gearhart who is great she even called the state finals a couple of years ago and now is calling college in several good leagues like the OVC the MAC and the A-10.
Kristie Combs in the 14th Region is a good ref...
ekff Wrote:Kristie Combs in the 14th Region is a good ref...

I would put Kristie as a top tier referee around here.
zaga_fan Wrote:I would put Kristie as a top tier referee around here.

:Thumbs:
Kristie one of the best. LMFAO. Blows the whistle about half the time. Her and Roy Spencer are something else when together.
I am just asking cuz I was told this but the guy could have been pulling my leg but did Kristie ref a final four? Like I said the guy probably lied to me but I had to ask?
I was in attendance 2 years ago and a female done the state BOYS final and was, in my opinion, the best referree on the floor. She did an outstanding job. I don't recall her name but she was very professional and good at her job.
In the 13th Region Jennifer Hilton is as good a ref as there is.
After knowing of 2 female officials, one from the 12th and one from the 15th, going to the girls state in a couple of weeks, don't be surprised if over half of the officials there are female, regardless of if they are one of the best in their region or not.

And don't be surprised if on the Saturday at the girls state all women are calling, at least, the semi-finals. That would be an historical day. Again, regardless if they are one of the best in their region, or not.

Yeah me too..
The woman in the 13th does an extremely good job. I have seen her do several girls games and just a couple of boys. The only thing I did notice in fast paced boys games she does have a little hard time keeping up with the boys BUT she stills does just as good if not better than most of the men. I have no problem with her calling boys.
Ike Cooter Wrote:I was in attendance 2 years ago and a female done the state BOYS final and was, in my opinion, the best referree on the floor. She did an outstanding job. I don't recall her name but she was very professional and good at her job.

I was at that game and complained the whole pregame about how they had a female ref doing a state championship game. I was even a bit mad about it.
When I left after the game was over my opinion had totally changed. She was indeed the best ref on the floor.
Ike Cooter Wrote:I was in attendance 2 years ago and a female done the state BOYS final and was, in my opinion, the best referree on the floor. She did an outstanding job. I don't recall her name but she was very professional and good at her job.

Willie Turnover Wrote:I was at that game and complained the whole pregame about how they had a female ref doing a state championship game. I was even a bit mad about it.
When I left after the game was over my opinion had totally changed. She was indeed the best ref on the floor.

That was Marla Geahart I was talking about in post#4 she is really good. Doing all college games now.
I see bad refs all the time, irregardless of race, color or creed!
So I guess men shouldn't do girls games?
HarlanCountyCard Wrote:In the 13th Region Jennifer Hilton is as good a ref as there is.

Jennifer Hilton is by far the best official I have seen all season...bar none!!
I've never seen her have a problem "keeping up". I could list a dozen lard butts that DO have a problem "keeping up", but I don't think names should listed on a public forum in such a negative content.

Most of you won't need the list anyway.
The argument that women can't ref men's games is not chauvinistic - It's Retarded! Pure moronic and idiotic thinking!
Stardust Wrote:The argument that women can't ref men's games is not chauvinistic - It's Retarded! Pure moronic and idiotic thinking!

Stardust, you must excuse some of these male posters on BR. They are eat up with a disease called STUPIDITY.
I knew I would regret reading this thread.

From the games I have seen I totally agree with ZF
I know one of the female referees, Kristie Combs, she does a terrific job and from what I understand, is being tutored by the best female referee to come out of the mountains, Tina Napier...Tina graduated from M.C. Napier and is currently doing SEC, Big East, Big 12 and the any Division 1 basketball game in the Nation. Tina has done several National Championship games and is considered one of the best referees in the Nation...Noticed I said referees, not female referee or male referee, just a referee..
:ChairHit::ChairHit::ChairHit::ChairHit:
Stardust Wrote:The argument that women can't ref men's games is not chauvinistic - It's Retarded! Pure moronic and idiotic thinking!
:eyeroll:E
16BBall Fan Wrote:Their was a girl in the 16th Marla Gearhart who is great she even called the state finals a couple of years ago and now is calling college in several good leagues like the OVC the MAC and the A-10.

Marla is a really good official...worked the table for a few games she did. Very consistent.
There's a female ref doing the NBA Celebrity All Star Game is that allowed?
Granny Bear Wrote:Jennifer Hilton is by far the best official I have seen all season...bar none!!
I've never seen her have a problem "keeping up". I could list a dozen lard butts that DO have a problem "keeping up", but I don't think names should listed on a public forum in such a negative content.

Most of you won't need the list anyway.

Totally agree. I wasn't saying anything in a bad way, just the games I have seen she struggled a couple times but she is one of the best in the region. Not speaking bad, again she is a very good ref.:Thumbs:
I don't think females can referee boys games. They just can't get the respect
I'm not suggesting that all women can't ref boys games but in the 9th Region the females that I have observed are mediocre at best and Lori Edgington is one of the worse..The gal I saw at the state tourney a year or two ago was a very good ref.
Pages: 1 2