Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Doss 86 - Iroquois 63
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Two years ago the Doss High School boys’ basketball team finished 4-23, falling to Evangel Christian in the first round of the 22nd District Tournament.

“A disaster,” current Doss senior Rex White said about that season.

But with the guidance of second-year coach K.C. Goodin, the senior leadership of White and Stephon Bryant and the emergence of sophomore Montrell Little, Doss has turned things around.

The Dragons showcased their improvement Tuesday night, rolling to an 86-63 rout of Iroquois in a 22nd District semifinal at DeSales.

Doss improved to 17-11 and clinched a spot in the Sixth Region Tournament for the first time since 2009. The Dragons already have secured their first winning season since 2006-07.

“To get to the regional tournament this fast, I’m so proud,” said Goodin, who replaced Dwight Bransford as the Dragons’ coach before the 2010-11 season. “They’ve worked hard and haven’t complained. Everything I’ve asked them to do, they’ve done it.

“This is a huge step in building our program back to where it was.”

Doss avenged a 59-50 loss to Iroquois on Dec. 13 and advanced to Friday’s 7:30 p.m. district final against the winner of Wednesday’s Butler-Western game.

Little, a 6-foot-3 forward, led the Dragons with a career-high 26 points and added 11 rebounds and five assists. White (16 points, five assists) and Bryant (10 points) also scored in double figures.

Montez Buford scored 19 points to lead Iroquois, which missed its first eight shots of the second quarter and trailed 34-16 at halftime.

“(Doss) came out and did a couple of things we weren’t expecting,” Raiders coach Michael Stinnett said. “Then they got that big lead, and we just panicked.”

Doss trailed just once, 3-2, and opened the second quarter with a 12-2 run to take a 29-14 lead on Little’s 3-pointer at the 3:20 mark.

Goodin said Little’s presence inside has opened the offense for his teammates on the perimeter.

“The first time we played (Iroquois), he didn’t score,” Goodin said. “Tonight he was a man around the basket. That helps us because our guys on the outside can go one-on-one. I’ll take my chances with our guys going one-on-one.”
Doss 17 17 26 26 - 86 Iroquois 12 4 16 31 - 63 Doss (17-11) - White 16, Bryant 10, Dukes 8, Colbert 7, T. Smith 4, D. Smith 8, Little 26, Lawson 2, Black 5.Iroquois (14-11) - Jackson 6, Buford 19, Goff 13, Drabo 3, Johnson 10, Mack 2, Malone 5, Malitshanga 5.3-point goals - White 2, Bryant 2, Colbert, Little; Jackson 2, Buford, Goff, Malone.