Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Family Coaching?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What is up with all the family members coaching:
knott co: 3 dads
Shelby valley: 1 dad
South Floyd: not sure what relationship
Betsy Layne: Grandpa
Painstville: uncle
They are more but this is just off the top of my head.
If they qualify whats the problem?
Knott County: 2 Dads.

And Davis is more of an athletic trainer...
Many were coaches before they were dads.
Morgan co. Is a dad and if he wasnt wrapped up in giving his 8th grade son the ball they would have won last night vs east carter.
Coaches have children (Boys/Girls) and who else would want to coach them more than the dad!
This is nothing new even at the collegiate level.
In some cases it could be a recruiting tool to get a kid or to keep a kid from going to another school.
16BBall Fan Wrote:In some cases it could be a recruiting tool to get a kid or to keep a kid from going to another school.

In other cases it's so your son or daughter plays.........
King has been coaching for years. I had him as a JV coach 17 yrs ago and not at KCHS.. He is a good coach and always carried jim rose......
Try being the kid playing for your dad NOW THATS PRESSURE everyone points out the mistakes they make.....
DRYBACON21 Wrote:Try being the kid playing for your dad NOW THATS PRESSURE everyone points out the mistakes they make.....

It def. isn't some kind of wonderful thing. You live with your coach. And you get critisized at home the same as you do at the games and practices. By the person who expects the most out of you. Ol' dad.
Morgan County has a Father Son tandem
Some of the teams in the 14th region and East Ridge have solved this problem. Just bring in players that their fathers live over 1000 miles away and then you do not have daddies volunteering to sit on the bench.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Some of the teams in the 14th region and East Ridge have solved this problem. Just bring in players that their fathers live over 1000 miles away and then you do not have daddies volunteering to sit on the bench.

And some do like you guys in Letcher Co. ...... Fire them!!!
ghostrider69 Wrote:Morgan co. Is a dad and if he wasnt wrapped up in giving his 8th grade son the ball they would have won last night vs east carter.
Season has already started, I did not think practice started until October 15th. Wow!!!
DRYBACON21 Wrote:King has been coaching for years. I had him as a JV coach 17 yrs ago and not at KCHS.. He is a good coach and always carried jim rose......
Jim was a wild and crazy guy, but he knew how to win come tournament time. Nobody carried Jim, he simply knew what time of the year was most important. March!
I would want ALL dads if they are the most qualified!

I'm a Para-professional HS baseball coach. There were never issues when my son competed, he took care of that himself by graduating as the schools all-time hit/average leader, and dad had nothing to do with the book - thus, playing time was not dictated by his fatherWink
Really what's the problem if a dad coaches a team is son plays on? If they qualify then what's the problem?
Most of the complaints usually come from jealous parents.
Don't see why it would matter as long as they are fair with all the players and don't show favoritism toward their own child.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Most of the complaints usually come from jealous parents.

Well then they need to get over their selves because their is nothing wrong with it if he's fair to the other kids. If he's not fair then that would be a problem but if he his then let it be
Usually father coaches are harder on their own kids, IMO.
If the father is qualified more power to him
Their are many around that maybe quailified but do not do the job fairly and that is the problem. I also understand the jealous parent deal but its also different when even outsiders see this.
I agree as long as they are there actually coaching and teaching something about the game and not as an observer and nagger when their child doesn't get in the game.
sounds very familiar
i'd say the coaches get the heat from parents whose kids are seeing no playing time to some playing time.
I hate to see political situations in high school. What is that teaching the kids? Our basketball program at highlands has some of it so I feel your alls pain. Not saying its happening with any particular situation here - but it is a big issue to me lol.
If they are qualified and do a good job what would it matter??
MyTurf Wrote:Don't see why it would matter as long as they are fair with all the players and don't show favoritism toward their own child.

thats a fine line and from the coaches i have seen doesnt happen.
Pages: 1 2