Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Belfry CB/QB Sani Warren #6 2011 Sophomore Highlights
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[YOUTUBE="Sani Warren #6 2011 Soph. Highlights"]uQgOYwRhCsQ[/YOUTUBE]
I here Sani was debating coming to Pikeville to compete for the vacant QB position. I would like to see what this young man could do in an offense that goes with his skill set. i can't say i blame him for wanting to play in an open offense if he wants to play at the next level @ QB he will have to leave Belfry in my opinion. No knock against Belfry, they are eastern KY most dominate team. However taking the ball under center turning around and handing it off will not prepare you for the next level of competition.
TurboPanther Wrote:I here Sani was debating coming to Pikeville to compete for the vacant QB position. I would like to see what this young man could do in an offense that goes with his skill set. i can't say i blame him for wanting to play in an open offense if he wants to play at the next level @ QB he will have to leave Belfry in my opinion. No knock against Belfry, they are eastern KY most dominate team. However taking the ball under center turning around and handing it off will not prepare you for the next level of competition.
Not the place for this.
TurboPanther Wrote:I here Sani was debating coming to Pikeville to compete for the vacant QB position. I would like to see what this young man could do in an offense that goes with his skill set. i can't say i blame him for wanting to play in an open offense if he wants to play at the next level @ QB he will have to leave Belfry in my opinion. No knock against Belfry, they are eastern KY most dominate team. However taking the ball under center turning around and handing it off will not prepare you for the next level of competition.

You know....actively soliciting a high school kid to transfer to a competing school is about as low as you can get.:dontthink

Yeah, because I can't count the number of QBs Pikeville has sent to the next level.

I mean really, I can't even think of one in the last 15 years.:dontthink
Then I guess he should go to Pike Central then??? Pretty sure Belfry hasn't put a Qb at the next level ever. As a matter of fact I'd like to know how many of the kids in Belfry's program over say the last 10 years have went on a football scholly and stayed at that school on that scholly. I can think of 2. David Jones and Josh Cullop. Now I'm not bashing the program, I'd really like to know if I'm missing someone, because I could be. Why is it that such a great football program such as Belfry has this issue? I wish kids would realize that getting a scholarship somewhere for a sport is a grwat honor and it should be respected and used to its potential, instead of going there and quitting within 2 years and wasting a free education.
Micro-Brew Wrote:Then I guess he should go to Pike Central then??? Pretty sure Belfry hasn't put a Qb at the next level ever. As a matter of fact I'd like to know how many of the kids in Belfry's program over say the last 10 years have went on a football scholly and stayed at that school on that scholly. I can think of 2. David Jones and Josh Cullop. Now I'm not bashing the program, I'd really like to know if I'm missing someone, because I could be. Why is it that such a great football program such as Belfry has this issue? I wish kids would realize that getting a scholarship somewhere for a sport is a grwat honor and it should be respected and used to its potential, instead of going there and quitting within 2 years and wasting a free education.

Do you see that I say Belfry had produced more anywhere in my post? But since you brought it up, no, they haven't. However, Belfry has produced 2 State titles, 3 State Runner-up appearances, an 11 game win streak versus Pikeville, never lost to Pike Central, and has reached the semi-finals in every year except for one since 2003. Has Pikeville or Pike Central "produced" anything to the equivalent of that?

My response was sarcastic reply to TurboPanther who is openly soliciting for Belfry's QB to transfer to Pikeville by saying that there is a "better" opportunity for him to play QB at the next level if he plays at Pikeville.

If you misunderstood what I was getting at, there it is for you in simple terms.
Listen, there is no questioning the success of the Belfry program on the field. If I were a kid with football talent theres no question where I'd want to be and in no way would I consider leaving, but you attacked a programs ability to put kids in college and I just brought up a point to rebut your point. I , just like you, do not agree with soliciting another schools kids. I guess my qustion for you and your child would be is high school success where things should end? I'm by no means pointing a finger at Belfry's program, I see it happen in our area at all schools. How do we convince our sports oriented youths that a college scholarship should be held in high regards and taken full advantage of for the education and springboard that it provides for their future? Instead of "Well it Ain't like it was in high school so I'm quittin school and going to find a overworked underpaid job in our community so I can continue to relive my high school accomplishments." Like i said if and when I have children, I'm gonna try to find any path necessary to avoid that situation for my children.
Micro-Brew Wrote:Listen, there is no questioning the success of the Belfry program on the field. If I were a kid with football talent theres no question where I'd want to be and in no way would I consider leaving, but you attacked a programs ability to put kids in college and I just brought up a point to rebut your point. I , just like you, do not agree with soliciting another schools kids. I guess my qustion for you and your child would be is high school success where things should end? I'm by no means pointing a finger at Belfry's program, I see it happen in our area at all schools. How do we convince our sports oriented youths that a college scholarship should be held in high regards and taken full advantage of for the education and springboard that it provides for their future? Instead of "Well it Ain't like it was in high school so I'm quittin school and going to find a overworked underpaid job in our community so I can continue to relive my high school accomplishments." Like i said if and when I have children, I'm gonna try to find any path necessary to avoid that situation for my children.

No, I didn't. I merely pointed out that in the last 15 years Pikeville hasn't sent a QB to play college ball in order to refute the post TurboPanther made earlier.

Never did I claim that Belfry had, and I didn't "attack" Pikeville. You're putting words in my mouth.I understand what you think I was trying to say, but I wasn't putting Pikeville down at all. My post wasn't meant to badmouth Pikeville at all, but I did intend to acknowledge that what TP said holds no truth because it doesn't.
Let me say this, too, since this thread is about Sani Warren.

I've been around the Belfry program a long time. There have been some good QBs there who probably could have threw the ball all over the field had they been at other schools (Casey Lequire, Andrew Elkins, Paul Howard, etc), but there has always been "studs" there to hand the ball off to and usually more than one.

When Jonathan Wright was at Belfry, there were no such RBs and he could sling the rock. And I don't see a RB at Belfry right now capable of taking the pounding that 20+ carries a game will give you.

Does that mean Haywood will allow Sani to throw the ball 20+ times a game? I don't know, it remains to be seen, but the personnel is more suited for it now than it has been in the last 10-15 years.
Great job on the vid PT!!!! Good luck Sani on all your future endeavors!!! A heck of a player on both sides ofthe ball!!!! Trust me Boondock I took no offense just having a discussion. I agree with most of your posts too.
are you kidding me belfry,s backfield will be better than it has ever been u are getting ready for the justin johnson and trenty carr show and josh robinson. but i must admitt sani got great arm and i look for haywood to use it. but don,t say backfield is slipping. wow.
Belfry will have many weapons to choose from this year and next. Thats for sure!!! Good luck Pirates in your quest for another state title!!!
Micro-Brew Wrote:Great job on the vid PT!!!! Good luck Sani on all your future endeavors!!! A heck of a player on both sides ofthe ball!!!! Trust me Boondock I took no offense just having a discussion. I agree with most of your posts too.

Ok, I'm glad. It wasn't meant to offend anyone and I was trying to make that clear.
mr bojangles 007 Wrote:are you kidding me belfry,s backfield will be better than it has ever been u are getting ready for the justin johnson and trenty carr show and josh robinson. but i must admitt sani got great arm and i look for haywood to use it. but don,t say backfield is slipping. wow.

That's bold, to say the least.

Puff puff give homie...ya took a few too many tokes.
BoondockSaint Wrote:Let me say this, too, since this thread is about Sani Warren.

I've been around the Belfry program a long time. There have been some good QBs there who probably could have threw the ball all over the field had they been at other schools (Casey Lequire, Andrew Elkins, Paul Howard, etc), but there has always been "studs" there to hand the ball off to and usually more than one.

When Jonathan Wright was at Belfry, there were no such RBs and he could sling the rock. And I don't see a RB at Belfry right now capable of taking the pounding that 20+ carries a game will give you.

Does that mean Haywood will allow Sani to throw the ball 20+ times a game? I don't know, it remains to be seen, but the personnel is more suited for it now than it has been in the last 10-15 years.

I would love to know if and when a Pirate running back has ever averaged 20+ carries a game?? Even the workhorse fullbacks that have played there have never averaged 20+ carries a game for the entire year....Belfry will be fine in the backfield this year,the key to it all is to be able to throw the ball WHEN YOU WANT TO!!! Not when you have to in a long yardage situation and the opposing defense knows its coming also. An effective passing game has to work with an effective running game.
throw deep Wrote:I would love to know if and when a Pirate running back has ever averaged 20+ carries a game?? Even the workhorse fullbacks that have played there have never averaged 20+ carries a game for the entire year....Belfry will be fine in the backfield this year,the key to it all is to be able to throw the ball WHEN YOU WANT TO!!! Not when you have to in a long yardage situation and the opposing defense knows its coming also. An effective passing game has to work with an effective running game.

You're probably right, they haven't had one average that since maybe Dustin May. But its mostly because they don't play a lot of close games. If you look back over the last 9-10 years in all of the close games the Pirates would have one or even two backs with that many carries and most of the carries were between the tackles.

I guess my point earlier was that the upcoming backfield is more suited to open field running than Belly, Veer, between the tackles like the majority of Belfry's squads.
throw deep Wrote:I would love to know if and when a Pirate running back has ever averaged 20+ carries a game?? Even the workhorse fullbacks that have played there have never averaged 20+ carries a game for the entire year....Belfry will be fine in the backfield this year,the key to it all is to be able to throw the ball WHEN YOU WANT TO!!! Not when you have to in a long yardage situation and the opposing defense knows its coming also. An effective passing game has to work with an effective running game.

You would have to go back a ways to find a running back who averaged 20 carries a game. Probably back to Coach Roddy's days at the helm...and potentially a few of the late 80's teams of Coach Haywood's.

Potentially, Jim Matney, Curtis Childress (1978-1979), Jimmy Bevins-1981, 1982 seasons(actually was QB)...but I'm pretty positive he averaged 20+ carries in both jr and sr year.

Under Haywood...the backs that really come to mind are Dale Oliver and Mikey Scott. Both backs really carried the load while playing. Oliver probably more likely than Mike Scott. In more recent memory....due to Belfry's prolific scoring ability over the past 10-15 years....that really hasn't been a necessity. They've certainly had kids who could have toted the rock that many times...but just wasn't needed.
Good post Josey!!! Nice to see some Belfry football history revisited.
Very talented young man! I am looking forward to him leading his team this upcoming year. Sky is the limit IMO.

TongueirateSho
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:You would have to go back a ways to find a running back who averaged 20 carries a game. Probably back to Coach Roddy's days at the helm...and potentially a few of the late 80's teams of Coach Haywood's.

Potentially, Jim Matney, Curtis Childress (1978-1979), Jimmy Bevins-1981, 1982 seasons(actually was QB)...but I'm pretty positive he averaged 20+ carries in both jr and sr year.

Under Haywood...the backs that really come to mind are Dale Oliver and Mikey Scott. Both backs really carried the load while playing. Oliver probably more likely than Mike Scott. In more recent memory....due to Belfry's prolific scoring ability over the past 10-15 years....that really hasn't been a necessity. They've certainly had kids who could have toted the rock that many times...but just wasn't needed.

It's hard to say for certain but Dave Pinson packed the rock alot in 89.
mr bojangles 007 Wrote:are you kidding me belfry,s backfield will be better than it has ever been u are getting ready for the justin johnson and trenty carr show and josh robinson. but i must admitt sani got great arm and i look for haywood to use it. but don,t say backfield is slipping. wow.

I would agree that the rb talent is not slipping next year but the style definantly is changing. Allowing Sani to open things up will benefit his and the rbs skill set, not to say we need to throw it 50 times a game but we should b a more deverse o. can't wait to see it.