Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pulaski County’s Curtis Spears signs with Cumberlands
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Somerset — While football coaches certainly take notice of a player’s time in the 40, or the reps done in the weight room, there are certain intangibles that some players just have that coaches can’t teach.

Call it a knack of always being in the right place at the right time, or having a nose for the football, or whatever you want to call it, but some players just have ‘it’.

That is exactly one of the things that Pulaski County’s Curtis Spears brought to the table for coach Johnny Hines and the Maroons over the past few seasons.

The ‘it’ factor was something that Spears had, and he displayed it every Friday night when the Maroons teed it up on the gridiron.

Undersized in today’s world of big and powerful lineman, Spears excelled at PC as both an offensive lineman and linebacker, and that is why he will have a chance to play at the next level.

Earlier this week Spears signed with The University of the Cumberlands, and for the PC senior, it was the culmination of a day he had been dreaming about ever since he was a kid when he first put on a helmet and a pair of shoulder pads.

“ This opportunity is really more than I can put into words — I’ve been looking forward to this day ever since I was a little kid,” stated Spears.

“I haven’t really been told where they’re going to play me or what side of the ball they want me on, but wherever they put me will be what’s best for the team,” Spears added.

As for the decision to take his game to the Patriots, Spears said The University of the Cumberlands was definitely the place for him.

“It’s a nice school, and it’s a Christian school and I was looking for a place to go where I could better myself as a student-athlete, as well as a Christian,” Spears remarked.

Spears had a solid 2011 season last fall for the Maroons on both sides of the football.

He recorded a total of 83 tackles at his linebacker position, as well as recovering three fumbles.

On the offensive line, he filled in just about everywhere for Pulaski County. However, he made his mark as PC’s center, giving quarterback Aaron Smith a perfect snap after snap, while the Maroons were lined up in the shotgun formation for virtually the entire season.

As expected, coach Johnny Hines was very happy to see Spears get the opportunity to take his game to the collegiate level.

“I’m really proud of Curtis and I’m really happy for him,” stated the PC head coach.

“We used Curtis literally, at every position on our offensive line,” said Hines. “He could play center, he could play guard, and he even lined up at tackle a couple different times. “We even lined him up in the backfield as a lead blocker a few times — he was just a utility guy.”

Despite that versatility on the offensive line displayed by Spears, Hines says he firmly believes that at the collegiate level, Spears will make his mark on the Patriots football program on the defensive side of the football.

“Curtis forte´ is at the linebacker position,” said Hines. “He’s a very aggressive player, he’s a good, solid tackler, and he’s just got a nose for the football. He diagnoses the offensive play very quickly, he takes intelligent pursuit angles to the ball — he’s got a lot of things going for him that a lot of young linebackers don’t learn that well in high school. It’s going to be a lot of fun to see him have this opportunity.”

“The University of the Cumberlands has an outstanding program and they are an outstanding university, so I’m really glad to see Curtis get this opportunity that most high school football players can only dream of,” added the PC head coach.

http://somerset-kentucky.com/localsports...umberlands
[Image: g000258000000000000f42ceae14d047e721dc0a...bef3f9.jpg]
On hand for Curtis Spears’ signing to the University of the Cumberlands were, front row from left, Melissa Spears, Curtis Spears and Jeffrey Spears; back row from left, Keith Rose, John Hines, Edgar Weiser, Joey Warren, Stan Andrews and Chris Napier.
Congrats!
Congrats!!!! And loved the article!!!!
Congrats Curtis!
congrats