Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 25 Million Ton of Tsunami Debris Headed for US
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've read about this a few times, and then tried to research it a little. I can't find a great deal of new information, but a map projecting the course and time frame appeared on foxnews.com today.

It appears that an estimated 25 million tons of debris from the tsunami that hit Japan is floating between 7 and 20 mph toward America's west coast. This isn't surprising, but my concern is radiation levels.

Everything that I have read, albeit a miniscule amount of information, says that the debris is not contaminated as it left the mainland of Japan before the nuclear meltdown.

I was wondering what you guys thought about it.
what does one do with 25 million tons of garbage?
not nearly as much as you would do with 25 million tons of radioactive garbage.......

how could this stuff not be contaminated?
This may be a dumb question, but why can't they send a ship out to start cleaning it up and test it prior to it making its way here?
^^
Good point...
Apparently it's already starting to disburse but still identifiable by satellite. By the time it gets to Hawaii, reportidly, it will be so disbursed that they will not be able to track it.
judgementday Wrote:This may be a dumb question, but why can't they send a ship out to start cleaning it up and test it prior to it making its way here?

It would take a lot of ships to haul 25 million tons of trash.
There's not going to be much of a problem with any radiation from it...the levels of radiation will be too small.

Cleaning it up is where the problem is, lol. Good luck with that west coast..