Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Mountain Top 10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1. Perry County Central (23-2)
2. Clay County (24-5)
3. Magoffin County (21-4)
4. Shelby Valley (20-3)
5. Whitley County (20-6)
6. Letcher County Central (21-5)
7. Bell County (16-9)
8. Harlan County (20-6)
9. Southwestern (19-7)
10. Paintsville (19-7)
Congrats SV and Magoffin for shootin inside the top 5!
Big matchup Friday as #10 Paintsville visits #5 Shelby Valley!
PHS Girls......still in the top 10. Great Job Coach B, and Lady Tigers!
OffTheHook Wrote:Big matchup Friday as #10 Paintsville visits #5 Shelby Valley!

I agree this should be a very good game Friday, between two of the better teams in the 15th region. :Thumbs:
Good to see Southwestern still in there.
Whitley should be 3rd right behind Clay in my opinion.:betterthanexpected:
^
:truestory:
OffTheHook Wrote:Big matchup Friday as #10 Paintsville visits #5 Shelby Valley!

Southwestern beat them both on back to back nights with 15th region officials.
Basketball Guru Wrote:Southwestern beat them both on back to back nights with 15th region officials.

This is true....but SV hasn't lost since January 14th and beat good teams since, It was way back Dec 28th when Southwestern played them (Had 3 losses since SV started their winning streak.)......Valley is a better team now, at this point in the season It's a tie for first in the 15th between Magoffin after the SV win over LCC.
Hillbilly Heartthrob Wrote:This is true....but SV hasn't lost since January 14th and beat good teams since, It was way back Dec 28th when Southwestern played them (Had 3 losses since SV started their winning streak.)......Valley is a better team now, at this point in the season It's a tie for first in the 15th between Magoffin after the SV win over LCC.

True. Most people will agree that playing teams in the 12th region is much harder than playing in the 15th. Historically, the 15th is a much weaker region from top to bottom every year. I must give props to Sheldon Clark last year, they had a very good team and played very well in the state tournament, but the state champion was from the 12th region. Most teams that travel from the 12th to the 15th usually come back with a win, I don't recall the 15th traveling to the 12th to play very often. A lot of times it is not how many wins or losses a team has, it is who thoses wins and losses came against.
Basketball Guru Wrote:True. Most people will agree that playing teams in the 12th region is much harder than playing in the 15th. Historically, the 15th is a much weaker region from top to bottom every year. I must give props to Sheldon Clark last year, they had a very good team and played very well in the state tournament, but the state champion was from the 12th region. Most teams that travel from the 12th to the 15th usually come back with a win, I don't recall the 15th traveling to the 12th to play very often. A lot of times it is not how many wins or losses a team has, it is who thoses wins and losses came against.

You are right, But just like any other poll If you lose during the season you are going to drop. Sv is on a nice win streak beating good teams (like the 2nd best team in a tough 14th region). The 14th, IMO, is the toughest region in the mtns right now.
Hillbilly Heartthrob Wrote:You are right, But just like any other poll If you lose during the season you are going to drop. Sv is on a nice win streak beating good teams (like the 2nd best team in a tough 14th region). The 14th, IMO, is the toughest region in the mtns right now.

The 13th does have some very good teams at the top of their region as does the 14th and 15th but I feel that after the top 2 or 3 in those regions the talent drops off considerably. The 12th does not have a team this year the quality of Perry Central or maybe Clay County, but I feel the top 10 or 12 teams in the 12th are better than the top 10 or 12 from these other regions. Also, you have to take into account only 4 of our schools are labeled as mountain schools. Pulaski Co., Southwestern, Rockcastle County and Somerset. I agree with your comment on polls, (you lose you drop), but I feel the level of competition and head to head games should be a major contributer to these pollsters.
True and I would def agree with you If Southwestern would have them back in Dec by more but that game could of went either way.
Hillbilly Heartthrob Wrote:True and I would def agree with you If Southwestern would have them back in Dec by more but that game could of went either way.

It could have, that is true. 7 point win vs SV and 17 point win vs Paintsville. Those were good wins considering SW starts 3 freshmen and 8th grader and subs freshman and 8th grader as 1st 2 subs. Plus adding staying in hotel for 3 nights wears on a team, very impressive. Are you saying SW should have won by more. Were they that much better than SV? SV was undefeated at the time.
No, I'm saying they are evenly matched.....and at that point in time SV started a junior, 2 freshman and 2 sophomores and an even younger bench......NOW they add their best defensive player in the junior Fraley (maybe their most aggressive player).
SW is a young team like SV. The Lady Warriors start 1 senior (only upperclassmen on roster), 3 freshmen, and 1 8th-grader.
GetChili Wrote:SW is a young team like SV. The Lady Warriors start 1 senior (only upperclassmen on roster), 3 freshmen, and 1 8th-grader.

May wanna read the rest of the threads first ^.....that was already mentioned.
and when SV played SW, Valley only had one junior?.....so what's your point?
I wasn't really paying attention. I just skimmed. haha
haha ahhh it doesn't matter, these 2 teams probably won't meet again......and the top 10 changes every week.