Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Charleston excited to add Russell TE Davidson
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
RUSSELL — University of Charleston football head coach Pat Kirkland believes he has a new weapon at tight end.

Russell High senior Justin Davidson signed recently with the NCAA Division II Golden Eagles.

Davidson earned offensive MVP honors for the East team at last month’s Max Emfinger All-American Bowl in Baton Rouge, La. He made three receptions, including a touchdown grab with 20 seconds remaining to pull his team within 21-20.

Kirkland was hired at UC last summer and has replaced the triple-option from the old regime with a pro-style, spread attack that regularly uses a tight end.

“We’re real excited about Justin,” Kirkland said of the 6-foot-5, 245-pounder. “He brings a lot to the table. After meeting him, I was impressed with his football knowledge and intelligence. He has an opportunity to come in and get a lot of playing time.”

An All-Area and honorable mention All-State selection on defense, Davidson led Russell in tackles but didn’t get many pass-catching opportunities in the Red Devils’ Wing-T. He did, however, garner some attention as a tight end on the camp circuit.

Davidson worked with former NFL All-Pro receiver Wes Chandler over the summer after meeting him at a Football University Top Gun All-Star camp in Nashville.

“He came down and worked me out,” Davidson said. “He helped me with drills and taught me a ton of stuff about receiving and route running. You can learn a lot from somebody that’s been a four-time Pro Bowler. It was a great experience.”

Chandler, who starred in college at Florida, was hired last month by California as wide receivers coach. Davidson visited the Pac-12 school.

“That was a totally different world,” Davidson said. “I didn’t know about playing time, how that was going to be. (Chandler) said to do what was best for me.”

For a while, Davidson planned to attend Eastern Kentucky. Charleston came into the picture late. Davidson said one of his main reasons for choosing UC, a member of the West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, is that he wants to be on the field right away.

“I know I am going to play my first year,” he said. “I have a good shot at starting there.”

Davidson, who keeps a 3.5 grade point average, said his full tuition will be covered at Charleston. Another plus for Charleston is that his girlfriend, Russell grad Kelsey Hensley, is a freshman tennis player there. She helped lead the Golden Eagles to the WVIAC championship in her first season.

UC’s football team finished 5-6 last season after a slow start.

“I like their coaches better than anywhere I looked at,” Davidson said. “I’m excited to go in, play hard and make a name for myself.”

Davidson is a big fan of New England Patriots’ Rob Gronkowski, who set an NFL record for tight ends this season with his 17 TD receptions.

“He’s my hero,” Davidson said. “I love that guy.”
Still can't believe he turned down Cal.
Congrats young man. Great pigskin tradition there in Russell. Glad to see another young man continue that tradition. Good luck on all your future goals!!!!
Congrats!
Good luck
Good luck Mr. Davidson. Kudos for having the confidence to choose what you believe is the best situation for you. Take advantage of the opportunity and reach your goals.