Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: How come some players get downed for getting held back
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK guys I was just wondering,
How come you have hold backs all across the county but just the taller or bigger guys gets downed for it.
I mean I read on here and almost the only said about the Hatfield and Newsome Kid is so old and can drive and stuff
Well just to let you know the Hatfield is 14 been held back once turns 15 in July
Newsome is just turned 15 and started late (turned 15 in Jan.)
But noone says anything about others
Elisha Justice which is a great player is older then both of the them (turned 15 in dec.)
Tate Cox another great player (turns 16 in aug.)
Houston Mcanallen (turned 15 in oct.)
Logan Bryant( which is a freshman but was older then these guys in 8th)
Matt Clevenger (freshman but was older then these two in 8th grade)
So y r only these 2 getting ridiculed about being held back??
And another thing someone said if they could not hold back then Greg Newsome would actually have to Coach a game... Just to let you know Greg is the best coach in the state not county STATE
His record says it all the past 222-23 NUFF SAID
Now, if a middle school basketball team had a 16 year old kid, and he wasn't any good, would people complain? No, probably because they aren't effecting the outcome of a ballgame. Some people seem upset because they get their butts kicked by some big kids, that happens. But if a 16 year old kid plays a very limited amount of minutes against a person's team, and this person's team wins, you don't hear any complaints. But if this same team turns around and beats this person's team, they'll complain about the other team having over aged kids. Personally I think it's ridiculous to complain about kids that are just physically bigger and stronger than other kids at certain grade levels. Your team got beat, face it, and move on.
But why I think there is no reason to cry over something like this, at a certain level, kids are going to be bigger, faster, and stronger than some kids. That's part of sports. To make an excuse that they're team had older players, it's terrible. These bigger, faster, and stronger kids don't let things like this bother them, that's why some succeed so well. Those that let it bother them, might not succeed as well. So to all kids that are downed about being held back and kicking some butt against other teams, don't let this garbage this bother you.
I have nothing against  holdbacks, if for the right reason. Some, might want to play sports, and either have a terrible birth date, in which they end up playing there whole life as the youngest in their class, or be so small from being a late bloomer, that they could get hurt physically. Some, might not be mentally or emotionally ready for High School. To me, these are justifiable reasons, for holdbacks.
Then you see a kid, who is not only emotionally ready for High School, but is already very mature for his age. They are already one of the top athletes in Middle School, and instead of going on to High School, They stay back one more year in MS!!! With the only purpose, is so they can totally dominate the Middle School ranks!!! To me, these are the pathetic ones!! And the ones that want to be so far ahead in their class, that when a High School coach, looks down his bench, and has to choose a freshmen, to come in and step up, that the Middle School Warrior, that is now a 16 year old Freshmen, is the obvious choice. I have seen numerous athletes that are age/grade appropriate, have mediocre years as freshmen and Sophs. Then Light up the Highlight reels as Jr. and Srs.!!! Seldom do you see an 18 year old Jr. improve any at all during their Sr. season. Thus.....they get bashed!!! Sometimes, it's not right, sometimes, it might just be.
sounds like somebody's wanting to too their own horn!!
I believe that the whole hold back epidemic is starting to get ridiculous...it's just making the whole game unfair to the kids..how can a right age kid be expected to play against sometimes a whole team of kids who are years older than them both physically and mentally? It's just not fair.
[quote author=DA BEAST link=topic=20651.msg207745#msg207745 date=1141961782]
OK guys I was just wondering,
How come you have hold backs all across the county but just the taller or bigger guys gets downed for it.
I mean I read on here and almost the only said about the Hatfield and Newsome Kid is so old and can drive and stuff
Well just to let you know the Hatfield is 14 been held back once turns 15 in July
Newsome is just turned 15 and started late (turned 15 in Jan.)
But noone says anything about others
Elisha Justice which is a great player is older then both of the them (turned 15 in dec.)
Tate Cox another great player (turns 16 in aug.)
Houston Mcanallen (turned 15 in oct.)
Logan Bryant( which is a freshman but was older then these guys in 8th)
Matt Clevenger (freshman but was older then these two in 8th grade)
So y r only these 2 getting ridiculed about being held back??
And another thing someone said if they could not hold back then Greg Newsome would actually have to Coach a game... Just to let you know Greg is the best coach in the state not county STATE
His record says it all the past 222-23 NUFF SAID

[/quote]
Booher is hands down the best coach in the Virgie area.  Grade school coaching is way overated!!  That's why very few of them ever move up! 
Quote:
Booher is hands down the best coach in the Virgie area.  Grade school coaching is way overated!!  That's why very few of them ever move up! 
Quote:

That has to be about the most stupid comment i have ever heard... If he is so good then why do a lot athletes form the virgie/dorton change schools???
SV hasn't even won 20 games this year, whens the last time that happen??
and the sad thing is they got the talent..
Booher isnt that great of a coach......If he was such a great coach he would have more ball players that would play with him instead of sitting out or changing schools....S.V. played a very good game last night they stepped up when they had to and made big plays....

I don't see the point of talking about holdbacks...I think it is the smartest thing a kid can do....Not only for sports but u will be a lot more mature when you leave home and go to college.......

Good luck wildcats
The reason I think that some get downed for being held back is because they are hold backs and then they get on here and go on and on about how good they are.  They get the advantage then brag about how good they are.
[quote author=LEON link=topic=20651.msg208890#msg208890 date=1142109590]
Booher isnt that great of a coach......If he was such a great coach he would have more ball players that would play with him instead of sitting out or changing schools....S.V. played a very good game last night they stepped up when they had to and made big plays....

I don't see the point of talking about holdbacks...I think it is the smartest thing a kid can do....Not only for sports but u will be a lot more mature when you leave home and go to college.......

Good luck wildcats
[/quote]

If he isnt that good of a coach, why is it then that he made it to the final seconds of the regional tourney with the best players in the school either sitting out or transfering?  Would they have had any close games if they did have the best players from the school on the team?  Instead of cutting on the coach, why not cut on the players who didnt have the heart to play?
Booher must be the best coach in the state since he can take the leftover players from Shelby Valley and still take them as far as he has in his first two years.  Just imagine what he could do with all those all-americans that don't have the guts to play at Valley!!!
I think there can be some good advantages for holding back for the right reasons!!!!  Grades, maturity level, age ect.  JUST for sports and no other reason...no. 

But I do find it ridiculas when a team full of hold backs can actually hold their heads up and  brag about beating a team whos kids are the right age and grade.  YOU SHOULD BEAT THEM lol if your older, more mature, an extra year under your belt...you should beat them.  I just find it silly, its like...a peewee team being beat by a middle school team.  DUH who should win  Rolleyes  I think thats the biggest reason some get downed.
there is no such thing as the right age --- I don't understand ?????  has long as a kid doesn't turn 19 before a certain date, which I believe is Aug 1st or 2nd of his/her senior year then it is perfectly fine and well within the rules.  In fact, I think its the smartest thing a kid can do.  think of how many good players graduate HS each year at 17 years of age. Thats crazy!!!  An extra year of development could mean a scholarship.  17 is too young to graduate HS anyway!!!  Are parents really in that big of a hurry to get their kids out of the house?

ADVICE: Parents smarten up , If your child is interested in sports,  give them every advantage you can, do the math, make sure they will be 19 years old when they graduate.  :thumpsup:
[quote author=free throw link=topic=20651.msg209397#msg209397 date=1142136755]
[quote author=BasketBallonlyfan link=topic=20651.msg209174#msg209174 date=1142127651]
The reason I think that some get downed for being held back is because they are hold backs and then they get on here and go on and on about how good they are.  They get the advantage then brag about how good they are.
[/quote]  The ones  I know don't have to brag.  They just show you on the basket ball floor. 
[/quote]

The ones I know are on here bragging on themselfs....
[quote author=Don Coleoni link=topic=20651.msg209639#msg209639 date=1142183568]
there is no such thing as the right age --- I don't understand ?????  has long as a kid doesn't turn 19 before a certain date, which I believe is Aug 1st or 2nd of his/her senior year then it is perfectly fine and well within the rules.  In fact, I think its the smartest thing a kid can do.  think of how many good players graduate HS each year at 17 years of age. Thats crazy!!!  An extra year of development could mean a scholarship.  17 is too young to graduate HS anyway!!!  Are parents really in that big of a hurry to get their kids out of the house?

ADVICE: Parents smarten up , If your child is interested in sports,  give them every advantage you can, do the math, make sure they will be 19 years old when they graduate.  :thumpsup:
[/quote

Thats where the right age comes in.  Some dont know any better, some simply are not told and some of the kids are not eligible their senior year.  But boy they were doing good  in 7th 8th and 9th ect ect....Thats where its wrong and I also know that don't apply to all hold backs![/quote]
That post doesnt make any sense at all Free Throw, who got beat and where?  I know some do get on here and go on and on about themselfs.  They talk about how much more mature they are because of being held back, then they cry because they are just 15.  They need to look up what the phrase "double standards" mean and then know they cant have it both ways.
i really dont have a clue as to what you are talking about....
[quote author=The Guru link=topic=20651.msg207798#msg207798 date=1141968266]
I have nothing against  holdbacks, if for the right reason. Some, might want to play sports, and either have a terrible birth date, in which they end up playing there whole life as the youngest in their class, or be so small from being a late bloomer, that they could get hurt physically. Some, might not be mentally or emotionally ready for High School. To me, these are justifiable reasons, for holdbacks.
Then you see a kid, who is not only emotionally ready for High School, but is already very mature for his age. They are already one of the top athletes in Middle School, and instead of going on to High School, They stay back one more year in MS!!! With the only purpose, is so they can totally dominate the Middle School ranks!!! To me, these are the pathetic ones!! And the ones that want to be so far ahead in their class, that when a High School coach, looks down his bench, and has to choose a freshmen, to come in and step up, that the Middle School Warrior, that is now a 16 year old Freshmen, is the obvious choice. I have seen numerous athletes that are age/grade appropriate, have mediocre years as freshmen and Sophs. Then Light up the Highlight reels as Jr. and Srs.!!! Seldom do you see an 18 year old Jr. improve any at all during their Sr. season. Thus.....they get bashed!!! Sometimes, it's not right, sometimes, it might just be.
[/quote]The one and only reason there should be a hold back is for academic reasons and that is the only reason. Holding a youngster back for atheltics is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard of. End of discussion in my opinion.
[quote author=free throw link=topic=20651.msg211361#msg211361 date=1142376735]
Who died and left you KHSAA?                          THE END!
[/quote]

I thought that people was supposed to express there opinions on here.  Just because you dont agree with them means you have to make post like that.