Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pulaski County 59 - Southwestern 57 (2 OT)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final
Congrats to PC
2/10/2012
Pulaski Co. 59
Southwestern 57 (2OT)
Southwestern 15 8 14 13 3-4 57
Pulaski Co. 15 13 12 10 3-6 59
Southwestern -- Kapinga 16, C. Epperson 9, J. Epperson 2, Collier 2, Lewis 13, Marlow 8, Schulz 5, Baskin 2.
Pulaski Co. -- Gover 17, Johnson 16, Goins 13, Burton 8, Laign 5.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2009/12/02/10403...rylink=cpy
Well I don't know if anyone's counting but that's 6 in a row we've lost to them and 0-2 in the wonderful wright era not to mention with all our recruits. I may just have hard feelings but I thought our coaching staff acted awful tonight Along with coach collier running after the ref after the game. And can anyone tell me what we were thinking when we tackled Johnson at the end
I've watched Southwestern play 4-5 games this season and if they didnt have the Kapinga kid from Canada they would be lucky to be 500 on the season. Also seems to me that Wright is always all over the kid during the game and he's the best on the floor.
Southwestern may get hot and win out to Rupp, but from what I watched tonight they were not impressive at all, and alot crucial turnovers when Southwestern had this game in hand.
Good job SW. You took PC into double OT with one of your best players out. I thought you all played some awesome D on Kody and Taylor. Even though they both scored in double figures, they got no easy looks, and earned everything they got. (That step back three by Taylor was unbelievable.)

I hope these teams meet again in the region. I think SW will win if they are healthy. Its hard to beat a team 3 times in a year.

GOOD LUCK TO BOTH TEAMS THE REST OF THE YEAR.
Down the stretch, it seemed like neither team wanted to win.
Open your eyes fellows Pulaski had a starter out which quit the team. And he averages the same as Edwards They both average around 8pts a game. Along with Pulaski not showing any of their offensive things and SW pulling all their punches That was probably the worse that Gover and Johnson has played this year That was the game we should've won and we didn't But I do agree as bad as I hate to say it if we didn't have Kapinga we would be hurting. Probably not even 500. Pulaski is just better, better athletes!
Hey Willie, ask Wright who was the last team to beat him not 3 but 4 times in one year. You got it. ( Pulaski ).
Tribe Wrote:Open your eyes fellows Pulaski had a starter out which quit the team. And he averages the same as Edwards They both average around 8pts a game. Along with Pulaski not showing any of their offensive things and SW pulling all their punches That was probably the worse that Gover and Johnson has played this year That was the game we should've won and we didn't But I do agree as bad as I hate to say it if we didn't have Kapinga we would be hurting. Probably not even 500. Pulaski is just better, better athletes!

Tribe The pulaski starter will not be playing next time (if there is a next time) he quit. If Edwards gets healthy he will be playing.

SW missed Edwards scoring, "D", and most of all his REBOUNDING!!!!

I agree Pulaski didnt run any sets that I saw.

As for SW pulling all punches, no way , They pressed very little in this game.

Maybe just maybe, the reason Kody and Taylor had off nights is because SW defense is really good. They got no easy looks.

They were not the only ones who had an off night. Schulz couldnt buy a 3 in the first three quarters. He is in a bit of a shooting slump, but he is a lot better shooter than he showed tonight.

I agree with you about kapinga, without him we wouldn't be near as good. However we held our own the last couple of minutes an in both OT with him fouled out. But we would be much better than .500. The difference would be that we would win by 10 instead of 30.

Kody Johnson is by far and away the best athlete on the floor .
Hell of a game between these two! I honestly thought that Pulaski would win by double digits and I was way off! Player of the game had to be Tyler Goins IMO! Good game SW! Congrats Maroons!!

If the seedings workout, you can guarantee that these two will playing for the Regional Championship!!
Tribe Wrote:Hey Willie, ask Wright who was the last team to beat him not 3 but 4 times in one year. You got it. ( Pulaski ).

Didn't know that, I don't follow Wright that closely. But ask Gover, about 199? when they had wheats possee. They beat SW twice but Tournament time SW beat them in the first round of the district.

Ask Schulz about when SW had Monte Calloway. SW beat PC twice in the regular season and PC beat them in the district.

Ask Coach Jones when McCreary ( top team in the region) beat SW ( who had won 4 games) twice in the reg. season. SW beat them in the district tournament.

Ask Rodney Woods who beat SW twice in the regular season last year but SW beat them in the District.

Its hard to beat a team 3 times in a year.

PC beat SW 3 times last year. And the only reason they didnt beat us 15 times is because we didnt play them 15 times. Bales and Abner were a load. Those two, with Gover and Johnson and Goins was one heck of a team. They were alot better than SW. Like I have said before PC lost Abner and Bales. SW gained Kapinga. These two teams are now even.

I posted earlier the trip to Rupp will run through SW. But it might run through East Jessamine.
Tribe Wrote:Well I don't know if anyone's counting but that's 6 in a row we've lost to them and 0-2 in the wonderful wright era not to mention with all our recruits. I may just have hard feelings but I thought our coaching staff acted awful tonight Along with coach collier running after the ref after the game. And can anyone tell me what we were thinking when we tackled Johnson at the end

Good for Mark Flynn, stepping up to help divert what could have been an ugly situation.

Maybe we were thinking the refs wouldn't call a foul at the end of a game since they didn't call a foul on Cody Eppersons three at as time expired. Not blaming the refs because two of them are tops in the region. Several fans claim we were cheated but no way. We missed a layup and two more shots inside the paint within the last minute.

Also I was proud of Wright, to set up a play that got Marlow the last shot after he missed the layup. I thought that was good coaching. Alot of coaches would have yanked him and destroyed his confidence, but Wright went back to him. That sends him the message that we believe in you, and we need you. So good for Coach Wright.:Thumbs:
East Jessamine is playing some good ball right now...They may take the region away from both Pulaski and Southwestern.
All I have to say is that Pulaski had no answer for Rob Lewis. He was a man amongst boys in the paint. Rob played a big part in the game last night. He played the whole second half and wore down Pulaski's two centers by himself. Can't believe his effort goes unnoticed.
Rob did play well last night. I thought he went to board well and hit his free throws. He even hit a jumper to start the game. Robbie is definately a force when he is guarded by smaller players, and is able to go to his right hand.

And he did take some charges that were huge.
Southwestern had 50 on the board when Kapinga went out with his 5th foul, they scored 7 more points in a little over 10 minutes. The offense is a complete mess when he is not on the floor.
Somerset — Earlier in the week, when talking about his club’s upcoming game in a much-anticipated rematch against arch-rival Southwestern, Pulaski County head coach Al Gover said he expected the game to go right down to the wire.

Little did Gover probably know at that time just how right he would be.

After PC held on in the first meeting last month between the two clubs 87-82, the Maroons and Warriors hooked up at The PC Gym last night and provided us with yet another instant classic in this very competitive and at times, heated rivalry.

Now, both teams didn’t play their ‘A’ game in Friday night’s rematch, but from a competitive standpoint, this was another great game between two of the favorites in the 12th Region.

Both squads had their chances to win the game, and both teams looked at times like they would end up on the short end of the stick at crunch time.

However, thanks to a pair of clutch free throws from Pulaski County’s Kody Johnson, and a block by Johnson on the game’s final shot, it was Gover and crew toppling the Warriors for the second time this year in a nail-biter, winning 59-57 in double overtime in an absolute thriller.

“This was a game where the intensity was very high, but I don’t think either team really played all that well,” pointed out Gover, after his team ran its winning streak over Southwestern to six games in a row.

“I didn’t feel like we played our best game and I’m sure Southwestern feels the same way,” continued the PC coach. “We didn’t shoot the ball real well — this game had a tournament-like atmosphere where the score is in the 50’s, and it became a grind-it-out affair. We had chances to put the game away at the foul line, but we kept missing our free throws which really hurt us late in the game.”

To Gover’s point, both teams made a ton of mistakes — some at crunch time — but that didn’t take away from the fact that last night’s game was an instant classic from a competitive standpoint.

The game featured eight ties and 13 lead changes, and this one was a see-saw, back and forth affair almost from the opening tap.

Pulaski County — thanks to a pair of three-pointers from Taylor Gover and Nate Laign late in the first half of play — took a five-point advantage into the intermission, leading the Warriors 28-23.

The Maroons maintained the lead until a bucket by Southwestern’s Robbie Lewis late in the third quarter knotted things up at 37-37 — the first of many ties that were yet to come.

A Taylor Gover three gave PC the lead right back at 40-37 headed into the final frame, but that lead would be short-lived for the Maroons.

Southwestern played a version of long ball too, starting the fourth quarter on an impressive, 11-0 spurt that gave the Warriors their biggest lead of the night, thanks to a pair of three’s by Daulton Marlow and a trey by Justin Schulz.

The Schulz trey gave Southwestern its first lead of the second half at that juncture, 43-40, and by the time the run had been halted thanks to a basket on a nice drive by Pulaski’s Blake Burton, the Warriors still led PC 48-42 with just over four minutes left in the contest.

“Once we got the lead tonight, we certainly didn’t play very well — that’s for sure,” stated a very disappointed Warrior head coach Steve Wright after the game.

“We got the lead in the fourth quarter and then we stopped doing the things that got us the lead,” added the Southwestern head coach. “We rushed a couple of times and made a couple of very silly turnovers down the end that just wasn’t very good.”

One of those turnovers coach Wright referred to came immediately after Burton’s hoop, as Kody Johnson picked off a Southwestern pass and raced downcourt for a layup.

Johnson couldn’t convert on the play, but teammate Taylor Gover, following Johnson down the floor, put in the miss, trimming the PC deficit to 48-44.

A Cody Epperson hoop extended the lead back out to 50-44 for Southwestern, but Pulaski would end the game in regulation on a 6-0 spurt, knotting things up at 50-50.

Tyler Goins’ three-pointer cut the deficit to 50-47, and on the next trip down the floor, Kody Johnson’s trey with 1:52 left knotted things up at 50-50.

At that point, things got a little sloppy by both clubs, as neither club scored over the game’s final 1:52.

Coming down the final 1:27 of the contest, the two teams combined for five turnovers, as neither club could even get a shot to try to win it in regulation for the longest time.

“We didn’t do things real well late in the game for the most part,” pointed out coach Gover.

“We had way too many turnovers late, and we missed three front ends of the one and one coming down the final minutes of the game,” Gover remarked. “You’ve got to make free throws at crunch time at the end of the game. Had we hit our free throws late, we could have probably won the game in regulation.”

PC called a timeout with :18 left in regulation to draw up one final play and a chance for a last-second shot and a win, but a Southwestern steal gave the Warriors a chance to win it, with :05.9 remaining in regulation.

However, Cody Epperson’s shot was deflected by Johnson at the buzzer, sending the game into the first overtime with both teams knotted at 50-50.

In that first overtime, both clubs had chances to win the game, and both teams squandered away those opportunities.

A Robbie Lewis free throw gave the Warriors a 51-50 advantage with 2:28 remaining, but just a few seconds later, Goins made one of two from the charity stripe, tying the score at 51-51.

A layup by Johnson put PC back into the lead at 53-51, but a jumper by Marlow at the charity stripe tied things up at 53-53 with less than a minute left on the clock.

Pulaski County then held for the final shot of the first overtime and got a great look at the basket, but a Gover three-point try at the buzzer clanged off the rim, sending the game into double overtime.

“We just didn’t do a very good job tonight with certain things,” lamented Wright. “Our effort says that we deserved to win the game — our execution and not taking care of the ball says that we didn’t.”

The lead see-sawed back and forth a couple of times in the second overtime, but after another clutch shot from Cody Epperson who played a great floor game for the Warriors extended the Southwestern lead out to 57-54 over the Maroons, Wright’s club looked to be in great shape coming down the stretch.

However, in what was the first of two key plays in overtime number two, Goins made a strong drive to the hole, scored and was fouled.

His free throw completing the old-fashioned three-point play knotted the game for the final time at 57-57, with 2:25 remaining on the clock.

“(Tyler) Goins went to the basket and got the three-point play when we were down three, which was a huge play at that time,” stated Gover. “You know, we just made plays when we had to make them tonight to gut out this win.”

The second key play of overtime number two came just moments after the Goins three-point play, when Marlow intercepted a PC pass at midcourt and drove down for an uncontested layup late in the extra session, but he missed the bunny helping PC dodge a big-time bullet.

Still, the Warriors would rally.

Southwestern forced a turnover, and Marlow had a shot to redeem himself in the game’s final seconds, but his shot from in front of the hoop from around the free throw line missed, Johnson rebounded the ball, and was fouled with only :02 remaining in the second overtime.

The PC junior, who has simply been on a tear over the past month, went to the free throw line and calmly sank both of his attempts, giving PC a 59-57 advantage.

Having to go the length of the court in only :02, Marlow threw a great pass downcourt to Robbie Lewis, but his baseline jumper was partially blocked by Johnson as the horn sounded, and the Maroons had toppled the Warriors for the sixth consecutive time with a gut-wrenching and heart-pounding 59-57 victory in double overtime.

“Our defensive effort was great, and I thought we showed a lot of character tonight, because we played really hard,” pointed out coach Wright.

“We were short-handed a little bit tonight, but I thought we showed a lot of grit and a lot of guts,” continued the SWHS coach. “We would have like to have seen a couple of situations there late where we could have executed a little better.”

Southwestern — now 20-8 on the year — will return to action on Monday night at home, with another cross-town rematch as the Warriors will host Somerset at 7:30 p.m.

Pulaski County meanwhile will close out its regular season next Tuesday night, as the Maroons will host the West Jessamine Colts at 7:30 p.m.

http://somerset-kentucky.com/localsports...ors-in-2OT
What are we even talking about they've beat us twice this year but we still think were the best. Im obviously confused. I'm going to say that the road to rupp goes through the big house. Call me stupid but they are undefeated in this county. And it seems they play as good as they have to to win. I have to mention this Kapinga and Maxey were spotted at the KBA gym today that looks real good. Were going to be made a laughing stock before it's over with!
This brings up the question for both of you: Is recruiting players really worth the trouble? I have heard that several parents are very upset right now about going out recruiting taking playing time away from their "home town kids". If SW doesn't win region this year just think how all the parents will feel. I have read several articles about PCC and SW or should I say "Wright" recruiting players and think it is very sad that coaches will go this far to win a region or state title. Really think about it, who will really remember who won a state championship in 10, 5, or even 2 years from now. Think about the kids future in education. Good luck to both SW and PC.
Some of the parents of the kids are going to complain no matter what. They complained about Justin Edwards, Ryan Dishman and Justin Schulz last year. In fact they had meetings last Christmas to get rid of Coach Schulz. These parents dont care about team... they care about their sons.

From what I am hearing, the parents and senior players are not complaining about Kapinga. Because they know he is the leadership this team needs but they are upset that that Collier is playing so much.
Edwards should be the one mad since his average has been cut on half But Their part of the ones that got wright here. And next year more are coming in or wright is resigning because they have no shot without new players and then they take more away from Edwards So make your bed lay in it! I hope that pc brings in a big because I would like to see the way we all react if it happened. Because if they do were in some big time trouble and we know it and I bet that wright would cry like a baby!!!
Edwards' numbers have been affected, but he is still makes an impact. He is more valuable to SW than anyone on the team. His rebounding, blocking, and jumping skills are more than helpful for the Warriors. The kid can shoot dang good, too. I hope to see him get healthy soon, because SW really needs him.
These two teams seem to always have battles every time they meet. Congrats PC on a nice win.
Tribe Wrote:Edwards should be the one mad since his average has been cut on half But Their part of the ones that got wright here. And next year more are coming in or wright is resigning because they have no shot without new players and then they take more away from Edwards So make your bed lay in it! I hope that pc brings in a big because I would like to see the way we all react if it happened. Because if they do were in some big time trouble and we know it and I bet that wright would cry like a baby!!!

2013-2014 school year
Kapinga Sr, Adam Issacs Jr, Justin Edwards Sr, Gaskins Jr., Thats going to be a pretty good nucleus. Wright should stay around for that group. And this years sixth and seventh grade teams, both just won the state championships at the KBA. So he might want to stay six more years.

If PC gets a big its lights out next year. If PC doesn't get a big its still probably lights out next year. Kody and Taylor are really really good players.