Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 6-1 transfer Paige 'awfully good' for 20-4 Perry Central
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As the high school basketball regular season winds down, it won’t be long before some folks start to hand out regional and statewide accolades.

The name Jaysean Paige probably won’t ring many bells, but the Perry County Central senior is one of the state’s best players in any class.

Paige, a transfer from Jamestown, N.Y., is averaging 21.3 points and 6.7 rebounds for the Commodores (20-4), whose lone loss to a Kentucky team before Thursday night’s 14th Region battle at Knott County Central was at Scott County in mid-December.

“He’s an awfully good player,” Perry Central coach Allan Hatcher said. “He loves to compete and is a tough kid. He’s made (the transition) real smooth. He reached out for these other guys. He’s initiated positive ways to make this thing work.”

The 6-foot-1 Paige came to Hazard with a lofty reputation. As a junior at Jamestown High School last season he averaged 26 points and helped the Red Raiders reach the Class 2-A state championship game. He was named Player of the Year in Western New York.

Paige and his family moved to Perry County during the offseason, and he originally was ruled ineligible by the Kentucky High School Athletic Association, but that ruling was overturned on appeal in December. He has played in 20 of the Commodores’ 24 games.

“I was a little disappointed when I first moved, but now it’s really good,” he said. “I thought I wouldn’t fit in, but I did. It’s been a lot of fun. It was kind of hard to come from where I played into here, but I think I have adjusted to all of the players and it’s been good.”

Paige, who is shooting 57.2 percent from the field, scored 32 points with 13-of-17 shooting against Ashland Blazer in the Joe B. Hall Prep Classic last month at Montgomery County High.

Hatcher’s team, which also features eighth-grade sensation Braxton Beverly, won the 14th Region title last season. Now Paige has made the Commodores even stronger.

“He doesn’t get shook,” Hatcher said. “You can tell he’s been through some tough basketball and some tough games. He’s very, very mature.”

Paige is being recruited by Morehead State, Marshall, Tennessee Tech, Northern Kentucky and other Ohio Valley Conference schools.

“A lot of people are interested in him,” Hatcher said. “He has offers on the table if he makes the grades, and he’s working on that.”

But for now, Paige wants to help Perry Central get back to the Sweet 16 in Rupp Arena.

“My teammates and coaches have talked about how important it is,” he said. “I can’t wait to help them get back there.

http://saxo.highschoolsports.net/article...al?Avis=B2
Good read.
Great player.
Watched the game last night on WYMT...he's the real deal as is the Beverly kid.
Not close to 6'1", 5'10" at best. Although he plays a lot bigger.
^ since a few Perry people have listed me at 5'11" lol Jaysean is like 5'9"...
Lol

But anyways good post SD
Something that hasn't been mentioned about Paige that impressed me....I've only seen him play twice, and then again last night on TV....but I can't get over how even tempered he appears to be. I think that's an important yardstick for any high school athlete. As high profile as he is, he really plays under the radar a lot of times. He's emotional and intense without being out of control.

I know that these terms sound contradictory, but it's just his style of play and difficult to explain. I am quite impressed by Paige, and like LCDAWG I think Beverly is also the real deal.

PCC should go far with their talent level and maturity.
ekff Wrote:^ since a few Perry people have listed me at 5'11" lol Jaysean is like 5'9"...
Lol

But anyways good post SD

He is most definitely 6'1". How you get 5'9" is beyond me.
Irish Wrote:He is most definitely 6'1". How you get 5'9" is beyond me.

Its a joke.....
ekff Wrote:Its a joke.....

I saw them kick you off the ferris wheel at the black gold last year.
You can admit that you are under 6 feet
I'm 6'4" and I know you and Jaysean are shorter than me Wink
zaga_fan Wrote:i'm 6'4" and i know you and jaysean are shorter than me Wink

lol!!!!
Cool read
he is a good player. can probably play small division 1 but would be better served at a d2 school