Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pikeville @ Shelby Valley 2/10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This one is for all the marbles: 1. Bragging rights. 2. Best district record for the 2012 season. 3. Number one seed in the district tourney. 4. Automatic bid to regional tourney.

I say Wildcats in a close one - maybe a buzzer beater. 49-48

What about everyone else?
You can bet your bottom dollar this will be a close one....I don't feel confident with Valley shooting a buzzer beater after the JC game lol....so I'll say SV by 4
Too close to call, this one will go to the team that is the hungriest. Home court to Valley! Experience to Pikeville! SV may have the best coach in the region! SV by 2, 59-57.
Cougar Connection Wrote:Too close to call, this one will go to the team that is the hungriest. Home court to Valley! Experience to Pikeville! SV may have the best coach in the region! SV by 2, 59-57.

Wouldn't go that far.:dudecomeon:
Shelby Valley by 5
Valley by 15
I will getting to go to this one. Will be driving in from Lexington and will hopefully be catching a Big Blue Win!!
Cougar Connection Wrote:Too close to call, this one will go to the team that is the hungriest. Home court to Valley! Experience to Pikeville! SV may have the best coach in the region! SV by 2, 59-57.

Hillbilly Heartthrob Wrote:Wouldn't go that far.:dudecomeon:

No question Greg Newsome IS the best Coach in the Region. Rodney Rowe the Girls Coach is also the best Coach in the 15th.

Why wouldn't you go that far? He made Booher look good when he was an Asst. at SV.
You are wrong sir.....The boys loved Booher (ask the state champs who their coach was so don't hand me that crap, the guy was a motivator)....The boys last year were begged by the people to stay on the team, because they were wanting to quit (and the same thing this year). You don't see behind the scenes.......

1.) When you have no true ball handler and the game is close, don't hold the ball at the top of the key with a minute to go, that is asking for a turnover.

2.) The boys don't respect him.

3.) When the have a kid with the talent of Richardson and he is one-on-one pushing the ball up the court, don't tell him to slow it down....let him take it to the rack...

4.) He lies.....

The kids looked up to Booher, They don't to Coach Newsome (he doesn't even get up off the bench and inspire his players....Booher is missed, as a Asst principal and coach.

As far as Coach Rowe goes, I like him, SECOND best coach in the region.......First would go to Coach Pup of Magoffin, with a team just as young as Rowe's, pushed for the win the All A region (against Rowe).
Alpha_Male Wrote:No question Greg Newsome IS the best Coach in the Region. Rodney Rowe the Girls Coach is also the best Coach in the 15th.

Why wouldn't you go that far? He made Booher look good when he was an Asst. at SV.

and it's not that i don't like Greg, He is an "ok" coach, but best coach in the 15th? made Booher look good?....uh no....
Shelby Valley 55-51.
Let's Go Panthers!
Okay, so Pikeville is a very gutsy bunch of players and I have a feeling that they will be completely up for this one. Valley should be coming up with schemes and sets that will throw Pikeville off guard. Valley as of lately has seemed to make the offensive production work through Belter, which is not a bad thing at all. However, one has to believe that with another week to adjust and more coaching Pikeville will have a little of a better way to play off of him rather than just go straight one on one. Valley has the size advantage but Pikeville should be able to come up with multiple ways to shift down on Belter and frustrate his game. I am guessing that Friday may be a little bit of a harder game for Cody. But this is the beauty of zeroing in on Belter because Valley has Newsome, which also has to be accounted for in a big way. Ultimately I think that Pikeville getting killed in the interior game last Friday will push them further inside to the point that they will give any outside shot up for chance. So Richardson, Lucas, etc. will be big factors in how this one plays out.

Pikeville in my opinion is still a little bit of a better team, the experience allows for them to know how to play when the game is slowed down or if they get down. They just have to deal with a home crowd and the big game environment of the district showdown. I think that they will respond well and should make this game about as even as you can get. Pikeville will not "win" the battle in the paint but they can slow down Belter/Newsome and fight for rebounds leading to some fast break points. Rebounding will be the most important stat of the night.

Speed: Pikeville
Interior: Valley
Experience: Pikeville
Shooting: Pikeville
Coaching: Valley
Energy/Crowd: Valley

So close to call, but I will have to say Valley wins this one at home by 3 or 4.
Belter with a sub-par game scoring 12 points/ 7 rebounds/ 3 blocks.
Newsome picking up the slack a little bit scoring 16 points/ 8 rebounds/ 1 block
Richardson continuing to manage the game well scoring 12 points/ 4 assists/ 3 rebounds/ 4 turnovers
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Okay, so Pikeville is a very gutsy bunch of players and I have a feeling that they will be completely up for this one. Valley should be coming up with schemes and sets that will throw Pikeville off guard. Valley as of lately has seemed to make the offensive production work through Belter, which is not a bad thing at all. However, one has to believe that with another week to adjust and more coaching Pikeville will have a little of a better way to play off of him rather than just go straight one on one. Valley has the size advantage but Pikeville should be able to come up with multiple ways to shift down on Belter and frustrate his game. I am guessing that Friday may be a little bit of a harder game for Cody. But this is the beauty of zeroing in on Belter because Valley has Newsome, which also has to be accounted for in a big way. Ultimately I think that Pikeville getting killed in the interior game last Friday will push them further inside to the point that they will give any outside shot up for chance. So Richardson, Lucas, etc. will be big factors in how this one plays out.

Pikeville in my opinion is still a little bit of a better team, the experience allows for them to know how to play when the game is slowed down or if they get down. They just have to deal with a home crowd and the big game environment of the district showdown. I think that they will respond well and should make this game about as even as you can get. Pikeville will not "win" the battle in the paint but they can slow down Belter/Newsome and fight for rebounds leading to some fast break points. Rebounding will be the most important stat of the night.

Speed: Pikeville
Interior: Valley
Experience: Pikeville
Shooting: Pikeville
Coaching: Valley
Energy/Crowd: Valley

So close to call, but I will have to say Valley wins this one at home by 3 or 4.
Belter with a sub-par game scoring 12 points/ 7 rebounds/ 3 blocks.
Newsome picking up the slack a little bit scoring 16 points/ 8 rebounds/ 1 block
Richardson continuing to manage the game well scoring 12 points/ 4 assists/ 3 rebounds/ 4 turnovers

Pretty good and fair assessment, although I would have to call the "speed" a draw, honestly. Pikeville DOES operate better off the fast break, which gives them the appearance of being a little faster than they are, and I would rate Tackett faster than Belter, but all other positions are pretty equal, with maybe a SLIGHT advantage to Pikeville on this.

What has hurt Pikeville the most in the last 3 games I've watched (seen all except the iHigh tourney and games in Pennsylvania) has been lack of awareness on sealing the baseline. I counted no less than 6 baseline drives that went unchallenged until the ball handler approached the paint against Letcher Central. The 1-3-1 leaves them open to this and the wing men on the 3 portion need to give more help on denying the baseline when the ball goes to the corner. They need to understand that they have to funnel the ball handler back out of the corner or at least cut off the baseline. Honestly, I think they do better in 2-3 if they have to zone.

Tackett has to understand (and the other players) that if they hope to succeed on offense, they need to step out and bring Belter out of the paint. Branham needs to understand he must put the ball on the floor and drive if he wants to free up the outside shot for himself, it helps keep the defender back a little if they respect the drive. Tackett is pretty good up to about 12 feet from the basket, this could open up the inside immensely if he steps out and hits a couple to keep Belter honest.

I look for Pikeville to bounce back from the last game against Valley, Letcher Central was, IMO a better team than Valley, and Pikeville had them until a controversial no call on what appeared to be a goaltend with about 4 minutes left in the game. I'm hoping Pikeville learned from that, and can't wait until Friday to see if they have. I'm not as concerned about the home crowd as some would think, Pikeville has played some pretty hostile environments this year and responded well (wins at Magoffin, at Pike Central, at East Ridge, etc) a big part of that is most likely due to the experience factor you point out.
PHSForever Wrote:Pretty good and fair assessment, although I would have to call the "speed" a draw, honestly. Pikeville DOES operate better off the fast break, which gives them the appearance of being a little faster than they are, and I would rate Tackett faster than Belter, but all other positions are pretty equal, with maybe a SLIGHT advantage to Pikeville on this.

What has hurt Pikeville the most in the last 3 games I've watched (seen all except the iHigh tourney and games in Pennsylvania) has been lack of awareness on sealing the baseline. I counted no less than 6 baseline drives that went unchallenged until the ball handler approached the paint against Letcher Central. The 1-3-1 leaves them open to this and the wing men on the 3 portion need to give more help on denying the baseline when the ball goes to the corner. They need to understand that they have to funnel the ball handler back out of the corner or at least cut off the baseline. Honestly, I think they do better in 2-3 if they have to zone.

Tackett has to understand (and the other players) that if they hope to succeed on offense, they need to step out and bring Belter out of the paint. Branham needs to understand he must put the ball on the floor and drive if he wants to free up the outside shot for himself, it helps keep the defender back a little if they respect the drive. Tackett is pretty good up to about 12 feet from the basket, this could open up the inside immensely if he steps out and hits a couple to keep Belter honest.

I look for Pikeville to bounce back from the last game against Valley, Letcher Central was, IMO a better team than Valley, and Pikeville had them until a controversial no call on what appeared to be a goaltend with about 4 minutes left in the game. I'm hoping Pikeville learned from that, and can't wait until Friday to see if they have. I'm not as concerned about the home crowd as some would think, Pikeville has played some pretty hostile environments this year and responded well (wins at Magoffin, at Pike Central, at East Ridge, etc) a big part of that is most likely due to the experience factor you point out.

Nice.......and Yes, LCC is slightly better than Valley I think.....However, out of the places you listed, I think Valley is the harder place to win at.....Gonna be a good one to say the least!
I'll take Valley. I like the advantage they have on the inside against Pikeville. This one should be a thriller though.

Valley - 58
Pikeville - 56
PHSForever Wrote:Pretty good and fair assessment, although I would have to call the "speed" a draw, honestly. Pikeville DOES operate better off the fast break, which gives them the appearance of being a little faster than they are, and I would rate Tackett faster than Belter, but all other positions are pretty equal, with maybe a SLIGHT advantage to Pikeville on this.

Correct you are my friend, it is going to be one great game!!
Panthers in a close one. 63--61. Go Panthers!!
Hillbilly Heartthrob Wrote:Nice.......and Yes, LCC is slightly better than Valley I think.....[COLOR="Red"]However, out of the places you listed, I think Valley is the harder place to win at[/COLOR].....Gonna be a good one to say the least!

Magoffin County has got to be the toughest place to go and get a W! It is a very hard gym to shoot in and extremely HOSTILE environment. I have seen many great teams go in there and get beat by a decent (at best) Magoffin County team!
I'll say the play in the paint will be the difference and take SV (at home) in a close one. 52-48
Hillbilly Heartthrob Wrote:You are wrong sir.....The boys loved Booher (ask the state champs who their coach was so don't hand me that crap, the guy was a motivator)....The boys last year were begged by the people to stay on the team, because they were wanting to quit (and the same thing this year). You don't see behind the scenes.......

1.) When you have no true ball handler and the game is close, don't hold the ball at the top of the key with a minute to go, that is asking for a turnover.

2.) The boys don't respect him.

3.) When the have a kid with the talent of Richardson and he is one-on-one pushing the ball up the court, don't tell him to slow it down....let him take it to the rack...

4.) He lies.....

The kids looked up to Booher, They don't to Coach Newsome (he doesn't even get up off the bench and inspire his players....Booher is missed, as a Asst principal and coach.

As far as Coach Rowe goes, I like him, SECOND best coach in the region.......First would go to Coach Pup of Magoffin, with a team just as young as Rowe's, pushed for the win the All A region (against Rowe).

Yeah ask the boys that I went to school with who won the State Championship. That told me personaly Greg is our coach, Booher is dumbfounded when it comes to x's and o's. The ones from Virgie that weren't even going to play for SV if he was still the coach? I know because I talked to most of them everyday when they played for Greg and Booher, anyone that knows anything about SV basketball knows that it was Greg's team.No kids looked up to booher maybe little children but no one who ever played for him. If the kids dont respect their coach thats on them. You can't make someone respect you. Booher was the Head Coach at SV when they had the most talent they had ever had. He left when the talent Graduated. Greg steped in with a makeshift team with Seniors who had almost 0 experience, a few freshman and some eighth graders. And won the Region. Richardson is an average freshman guard with speed. That is it, he isn't some special talent that never comes around. If anything it helps Dalton to be taught how to control the pace and run the offense out of a half-court set. Don't you think?

But with all that being said Pikeville has better guards and SV has a better inside game and with it being at Valley I'll take SV in a very close one.
Alpha_Male Wrote:Yeah ask the boys that I went to school with who won the State Championship. That told me personaly Greg is our coach, Booher is dumbfounded when it comes to x's and o's. The ones from Virgie that weren't even going to play for SV if he was still the coach? I know because I talked to most of them everyday when they played for Greg and Booher, anyone that knows anything about SV basketball knows that it was Greg's team.No kids looked up to booher maybe little children but no one who ever played for him. If the kids dont respect their coach thats on them. You can't make someone respect you. Booher was the Head Coach at SV when they had the most talent they had ever had. He left when the talent Graduated. Greg steped in with a makeshift team with Seniors who had almost 0 experience, a few freshman and some eighth graders. And won the Region. Richardson is an average freshman guard with speed. That is it, he isn't some special talent that never comes around. If anything it helps Dalton to be taught how to control the pace and run the offense out of a half-court set. Don't you think?

But with all that being said Pikeville has better guards and SV has a better inside game and with it being at Valley I'll take SV in a very close one.

Spittin out crap again.....I talked to them everyday too....For one: yea maybe Tyler and Taylor considered him the coach, because that's their family, Why wouldn't they?.......But as far as the others go, Def not, I've heard it straight outta their mouths that they loved Booher.....

and the Virgie comment, You are obv. from Virgie....and that can be turned around, If he was coaching in 2010, boys like Cody Varney and Logan Bryant the year before that wouldn't have had a chance.

And no you're are wrong again.....a good coach GAINS respect from his players...and some of the boys last year and this year would love to have Jason Booher back at the school.......You are a kid If you just graduated and no NOTHING about what goes on behind the scenes..........After losing to Perry co. in 2010, everybody else called Booher crazy for wanting to go play J-town, and I quote said SV would "get killed"....In the long run that J-town game helped them out...Booher wanted to play, and others wanted to hide....ask anybody who is on a neutral side....and They'll tell you that....

Enough off topic crap.....Booher's name shouldn't even have been brought up.........SV by 4.....
Alpha_Male Wrote:Yeah ask the boys that I went to school with who won the State Championship. That told me personaly Greg is our coach, Booher is dumbfounded when it comes to x's and o's. The ones from Virgie that weren't even going to play for SV if he was still the coach? I know because I talked to most of them everyday when they played for Greg and Booher, anyone that knows anything about SV basketball knows that it was Greg's team.No kids looked up to booher maybe little children but no one who ever played for him. If the kids dont respect their coach thats on them. You can't make someone respect you. Booher was the Head Coach at SV when they had the most talent they had ever had. He left when the talent Graduated. Greg steped in with a makeshift team with Seniors who had almost 0 experience, a few freshman and some eighth graders. And won the Region. Richardson is an average freshman guard with speed. That is it, he isn't some special talent that never comes around. If anything it helps Dalton to be taught how to control the pace and run the offense out of a half-court set. Don't you think?

Coming from someone who has never touched a basketball you seem to "know" a lot about it, or pretend to at least.

I seriously doubt any of the kids on the championship team (that mattered) said anything bad about coach Booher. Especially Elisha, Ashley, Taylor, and Tyler. Those kids would go to great lengths to say how much Booher meant to them as a head coach. You say none of the players looked up to him. I'd love to see some of the guys that played say that. Anybody with common sense knows Elisha and many others would never say that they didn't respect Coach Booher. If you're going to throw a state title coach and some of the players under the bus then at least name the guys who did it.

Since you know so much about the game, why don't you break down Booher's X's & O's and why he didn't know the game. The defense was the offense, and transition was the key for those teams. Booher had that style before he came, and he still has it today. Booher was also a great motivator in having his kids prepared and keeping a level head throughout the season often instilling Christian principles into his players.

You say Booher stepped in when they had the most talent, but there's no way that is true. He stepped in to a very good situation but nobody knew when those kids were in 8th grade that they would be "that" good. Name any coach at SV that hasn't had talent to win with. The talent is always there, it just depends on what is done with it.

All that being said, I like and respect both Coach Booher and Newsome. Any team would be lucky to have either of those guys, and instead of complaining about them you should both (Hillbilly too) be happy with what you've had/got.
As for the game, Shelby Valley wins in a low scoring game. (48-44)
Mr. Onion Head Wrote:Coming from someone who has never touched a basketball you seem to "know" a lot about it, or pretend to at least.

I seriously doubt any of the kids on the championship team (that mattered) said anything bad about coach Booher. Especially Elisha, Ashley, Taylor, and Tyler. Those kids would go to great lengths to say how much Booher meant to them as a head coach. You say none of the players looked up to him. I'd love to see some of the guys that played say that. Anybody with common sense knows Elisha and many others would never say that they didn't respect Coach Booher. If you're going to throw a state title coach and some of the players under the bus then at least name the guys who did it.

Since you know so much about the game, why don't you break down Booher's X's & O's and why he didn't know the game. The defense was the offense, and transition was the key for those teams. Booher had that style before he came, and he still has it today. Booher was also a great motivator in having his kids prepared and keeping a level head throughout the season often instilling Christian principles into his players.

You say Booher stepped in when they had the most talent, but there's no way that is true. He stepped in to a very good situation but nobody knew when those kids were in 8th grade that they would be "that" good. Name any coach at SV that hasn't had talent to win with. The talent is always there, it just depends on what is done with it.

All that being said, I like and respect both Coach Booher and Newsome. Any team would be lucky to have either of those guys, and instead of complaining about them you should both (Hillbilly too) be happy with what you've had/got.

Great post.....I said I liked Coach Newsome in a pervious thread, I was just stating fact and it kinda rubbed me the wrong way when he brought Booher into the mix........Didn't mean anything disrespectful towards anyone.
Enough arguing over who the better coach is. If you want, feel free to start a new thread to argue the merits of each and who is better.

As for the game, I don't think I can make a prediction on it. Valley has been WAY too inconsistent to even venture a guess.

Which SV team is there tonight? The one who didn't show up 2 weeks ago and got beat by 12 at home by Hazard? Or the one that beat Pikeville last week and dominated East Ridge on Tuesday?
More Cowbell Wrote:Enough arguing over who the better coach is. If you want, feel free to start a new thread to argue the merits of each and who is better.

As for the game, I don't think I can make a prediction on it. Valley has been WAY too inconsistent to even venture a guess.

Which SV team is there tonight? The one who didn't show up 2 weeks ago and got beat by 12 at home by Hazard? Or the one that beat Pikeville last week and dominated East Ridge on Tuesday?
Got the answer tonight. Not even close. Good job PHS!
Heartthrob and Onion Head you guys are fun..I would love to continue this discussion. I also would like to say that Booher was an alright coach, and a stand up guy. And btw When the state campionship team was in eighth grade Virgie played Dorton for the KBA state championship, everyone knew the talent was there. And Taylor is no relation to Greg. Elisha would never say a negative word about anyone. But Varney, Ramey, Tanner Tackett, Tayor and Tyler knew who their coach was. I also havent played baskertball since when I was in 8th Grade at Mullins.

What happen in this game how did Pikeville dominate?