Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: What Is Your Greatest Sporting Achievement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Today is the day of the big game (Super Bowl). A select few will be achieving one of their greatest dreams/achievements.

So, what do you consider your greatest achievement as a player and/or coach?
As a player...

1-0 against the top team in the state.
1-0 against the top team in the country.
at this point, winning my first amateur MMA fight.
46 points my 5th grade year against Inez.

Then politics took over and it never was the same. Which is my martin county sports suck.

Or We took 5 lunch League Basketball PLayers And beat the Starting BAsketball team My junior year.
Ive only lost 10 football game in my entire life.
BTW, they were all in high school.

I went 35-10 in high school, but never lost in middle school or grade school.
In organized school sports my 5th grade year I had 9 sacks in a single game, lol. That is tough to beat in any year, lol.

If we are referring to wrestling, I have more, lol.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Ive only lost 10 football game in my entire life.
BTW, they were all in high school.

I went 35-10 in high school, but never lost in middle school or grade school.

Impressive. Do you mind me asking who you played for?
WideRight05 Wrote:As a player...

1-0 against the top team in the state.
1-0 against the top team in the country.

Give some details if you don't mind WideRight05.
Probably making it to the Semi-finals of the State Championship in AZ, and the pretty good games I had earlier that season when I was in Cali. Also, scoring a TD on a fumble recovery against the #1 team in the state, and #2 in the country, at the time (Chandler). They beat us by 3 TD's, but that play was awesome.

And my first, and only dunk on a normal 10ft rim in a game, lol. It was a few years ago in when I played on one of the base teams. Haven't came close since..haha.
For player & coach, it's difficult to pick just one

Player: 6th grade I hit for the cycle and drove in the winning run to get our team to the championship game. we lost championship on a squeeze play though

Coach: watching my track team win state indoor, conference and regionals last year
Westside Wrote:Impressive. Do you mind me asking who you played for?

Whitley County
When I played AAU basketball I didn't play much...well anyways we made the big tournament somehow.

We played Nelson County, they killed us...however I got to play and I ended up scoring 4 points on back to back possesions.

I think we only ended up scoring like 32 points that whole game I'm not 100% sure, but I got 4 of them.

My only points of the season.
5 time Wiffle Ball Kentucky State Champion....was the pitcher all 5 years...

Seems lame I know but you wouldn't believe how competative Wiffle Ball is...
I'm with Toussaints on this one, I have a few that I could list, especially my pride in the athletes that I have had the privilege to coach, I'd defer to those.

But, a little known "Did you Know" about ole Dusty - I was on the winning team, and voted the tournament's "Most Valuable Player" award in the 1991 Indiana Black State Softball tournament. Dusty was one of only 2 Caucasians to compete in the 70+ team tournament.

The tournament is part of Indiana's annual Black Expo, where it is headlined by the Miss Black Indiana contest. So, my team was awarded our state tournament medals, and I received my MVP award on the same stage as that years Miss Black Indiana - Desiree Washington. That evening is when Mike Tyson was charged with raping Desiree.

So, it stands out as a personal accomplishment, but the personal experience and life building event meant more to me than anything. But it's the fact that what was a really cool thing for me to be part of also lives in direct contrast to the mistakes in Iron Mike's life story.
^^Hahaha, I lol'd..
Stardust Wrote:I'm with Toussaints on this one, I have a few that I could list, especially my pride in the athletes that I have had the privilege to coach, I'd defer to those.

But, a little known "Did you Know" about ole Dusty - I was on the winning team, and voted the tournament's "Most Valuable Player" award in the 1991 Indiana Black State Softball tournament. Dusty was one of only 2 Caucasians to compete in the 70+ team tournament.

The tournament is part of Indiana's annual Black Expo, where it is headlined by the Miss Black Indiana contest. So, my team was awarded our state tournament medals, and I received my MVP award on the same stage as that years Miss Black Indiana - Desiree Washington. That evening is when Mike Tyson was charged with raping Desiree.

So, it stands out as a personal accomplishment, but the personal experience and life building event meant more to me than anything. But it's the fact that what was a really cool thing for me to be part of also lives in direct contrast to the mistakes in Iron Mike's life story.

That is a pretty neat experience Dusty. Congratulations on that.
2007 Baseball District Champs
Mine is playing on a team full of very good players, making it to the Sweet Sixteen, and getting to play in Freedom Hall.
Silver medalist in the shot put...1979 KHSAA State Track Meet.
Westside Wrote:Give some details if you don't mind WideRight05.

In middle school in basketball we defeated the #1 team in the state by a substantial margin. Later that year we scrimmaged some AAU teams out of state. It was a scrimmage, but a real intense one at that. We got our butts handed to us in our first couple of games. Then we ended up playing the defending AAU national champions, and also said by many to be the #1 middle school team in the country, having easily dismantled those teams that beat us, who were also top AAU teams. We put together "the perfect game" and clung to an 11 point lead built early in the game to win by six points at the end. I'm dead serious, that team was much better than us and we would have beat them 1 out of maybe 1,000 times that we played.

I was never involved in AAU by the way, although those were AAU teams we were playing. These were a couple of early January scrimmages we were able to schedule suddenly since we had some time to prepare for our first actual game after Christmas break.
Beating Aslan in the county championship in 8th grade..lol
Being better than you.
Winning the Olyimpic Gold Medal in swimming...proudest moment of my life:biggrin:
Bob Seger Wrote:That is a pretty neat experience Dusty. Congratulations on that.

It's an experience that was a "life lesson".
Bob Seger Wrote:Mine is playing on a team full of very good players, making it to the Sweet Sixteen, and getting to play in Freedom Hall.

Do you guys still get together for reunions? That's probably the one thing in life that I wished had happened. Those guys at the time were no doubt the most important people in your life. What has happened to them now? :Thumbs:
Stardust Wrote:Do you guys still get together for reunions? That's probably the one thing in life that I wished had happened. Those guys at the time were no doubt the most important people in your life. What has happened to them now? :Thumbs:

The school has had a couple of ceremonies over the years that honored our team during half times of the current teams games, and we had a ceremony to honor our former coach a couple of months ago where several of us got back together. I still keep in contact with a few of those guys that have moved away, and there are still several that live in the area that I see from time to time. But sadly for the most part, there is not a whole lot of get togethers. But you are right, at the time we were the closest of friends, along with another guy that posts regularly on this forum as well.
Player: -Being a part of a 59th District Champion, All A Region/Sectional Champion, 15th Region Champion, and State Final Four team. Admittedly, because I allowed myself to get out of shape while I was ineligible and had an injury that prevented me from pitching any that season, I was not a huge part of that team's success, but it was a great experience and something I would relive a million times if I could.

-Bronze Medalist in consecutive years at the Bluegrass State Games in basketball.

-District 7 Champions in the 2001 Little League Tournament and was one of the few teams from Pikeville to compete in the Little League State Tournament.

-Individually, 16 K's in a Little League game against one of the better teams in the league is something that has stuck with me. Still have the game ball. Picking up a W as a pitcher and scoring the winning run versus Russell Flatwoods in the KY Babe Ruth State Tournament (7 K's, 2 hits, 0 BB, 0 runs, turned a double played at SS, 3-4 at the plate, probably the most complete game i ever played.) A few of game winning/tying shots in AAU basketball.

As a Coach: -Have just gotten started coaching, all of it with Travel Baseball and AAU. But to this point, it would be my 4th Grade AAU team winning a 5th Grade Tournament over a team loaded with 5th/6th graders, and winning The Pikeville Invitational 4th Grade Tournament. Coaching those kids is really something that I did not realize how much I would enjoy.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Player: -Being a part of a 59th District Champion, All A Region/Sectional Champion, 15th Region Champion, and State Final Four team. Admittedly, because I allowed myself to get out of shape while I was ineligible and had an injury that prevented me from pitching any that season, I was not a huge part of that team's success, but it was a great experience and something I would relive a million times if I could.

-Bronze Medalist in consecutive years at the Bluegrass State Games in basketball.

-District 7 Champions in the 2001 Little League Tournament and was one of the few teams from Pikeville to compete in the Little League State Tournament.

-Individually, 16 K's in a Little League game against one of the better teams in the league is something that has stuck with me. Still have the game ball. Picking up a W as a pitcher and scoring the winning run versus Russell Flatwoods in the KY Babe Ruth State Tournament (7 K's, 2 hits, 0 BB, 0 runs, turned a double played at SS, 3-4 at the plate, probably the most complete game i ever played.) A few of game winning/tying shots in AAU basketball.

As a Coach: -Have just gotten started coaching, all of it with Travel Baseball and AAU. But to this point, it would be my 4th Grade AAU team winning a 5th Grade Tournament over a team loaded with 5th/6th graders, and winning The Pikeville Invitational 4th Grade Tournament. Coaching those kids is really something that I did not realize how much I would enjoy.
You all wouldn't call it a sport, but it was a big achievement for me. I once got 1st place in a 5000 entrant poker tournament. I got 3rd in a tournament that had 7000 entrants.
^ If it's on ESPN, then it's a sport!!!
TheRealVille Wrote:You all wouldn't call it a sport, but it was a big achievement for me. I once got 1st place in a 5000 entrant poker tournament. I got 3rd in a tournament that had 7000 entrants.

Please tell me your greatest achievement isnt winning 2 free roll tournaments?
Pages: 1 2