Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ashland Blazer 94 Rose Hill 32
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
2/3/2012
Ashland Blazer 94
Rose Hill 32
Rose Hill 4 6 11 11 32
Ashland Blazer 30 28 14 22 94
Rose Hill (1-23) -- Wilhoyt 10, Stafford 20, Dudley 2, Wilson, Dudding.
Ashland Blazer (16-9) -- Thompson 5, Salow 4, Friley 6, Wesley 2, Gregg 22, Hart 6, Whetsel 18, Bush 4, Blankenship 4, Harshaw 4, Stewart 6, Fritz 2, Miller 10, Rose 1.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2009/12/02/10403...rylink=cpy
http://dailyindependent.com/localsports/...-past-East

ASHLAND — Ashland’s bench took advantage of extended playing time Friday night.

Reserves supplied 40 points and 26 rebounds in the Tomcats’ 94-32 victory over outmanned Rose Hill Christian.

“I was very pleased the way we handled the situation,” Ashland coach Buddy Biggs said. “Sometimes in a game like this, it’s hard to stay motivated. We have a saying about always playing like it’s 0-0. I thought one through 15 our guys were pretty focused.”

The Tomcats, minus forward Cody Withrow due to an ankle injury, rolled to a 58-10 halftime lead and completed a perfect run against 64th District opponents during the regular season.

All of Ashland’s starters played less than 16 minutes apiece, allowing them to conserve energy for a home matchup against Fleming County tonight.

Also remaining on the Tomcats’ schedule are state runner-up Rowan County, 15th Region contender Johnson Central, West Carter and Russell.

“That’s five tough ones,” Biggs said. “Excluding us, I feel like we’re playing the four best teams in the region. I love it. I hope we win a few.”

Withrow, averaging 15 points and five rebounds, sprained an ankle in practice Thursday and did not suit up for the Rose Hill game.

“We’re hoping he can go tonight,” Biggs said. “We’re not sure.”

Withrow wasn’t needed Friday as the Tomcats picked up their 16th win in 25 games. Rose Hill struggled against Ashland’s defensive pressure and finished with more turnovers (37) than points.

The Royals (1-24) turned the ball over on five of their first six possessions and Ashland went on to rack up 41 points off Rose Hill ballhandling miscues.

Sophomore Steven Riley, who got the start in Withrow’s absence, and backup point guard Ross Thompson combined for 11 of Ashland’s 24 steals.

The Tomcats closed the first quarter with a 23-1 run, then went on a 24-0 spree in the second period that included several layups along with Ryan Whetsel’s back-to-back 3-pointers.

Corey Gregg led Ashland with 22 points and 12 rebounds, followed by Whetsel’s 18 points. Logan Salow and Kyle Bush each had five of the team’s 28 assists.

Tomcat starters exited for good midway through the third quarter. By game’s end, 14 of Ashland’s 15 available players got into the scoring column. Freshman Nick Miller contributed 10 points and six rebounds.

“These guys practice hard every day,” Biggs said. “It’s not often you have a chance to get all 15 guys quality minutes like tonight. They did some good things on both ends of the floor.”

For Rose Hill, Troy Stafford scored 20 points and Andrew Wilhoit added 10. The Royals shot 23 percent from the field.
Half of Ashland's team played at Rose Hill a few years ago.
goodguy Wrote:Half of Ashland's team played at Rose Hill a few years ago.

Of those who actually play on a regular basis the fraction is 4/5 of the starters and 6/8 of the first eight. In this game, true Ashlanders scored 33 points and the former RH boys scored 61 points. That is a bit lower than usual but Ashland had a goodly number of points from true Ashlanders who don't normally play. The statistics for all of their games are similar to this.

No one is complaining and no one is whining. Still, in all matters we should have full disclosure. I'm not sure how many of these boys changed their addresses to transfer to Ashland. I would guess that they did since KHSAA is so tough on recruiting and transfers. Does anyone know for sure?
Full disclosure is a must I agree. Of the 6 that you mention, how many actually attended 9th grade at Rose Hill?
washed up Wrote:Full disclosure is a must I agree. Of the 6 that you mention, how many actually attended 9th grade at Rose Hill?

I would think that the real question would be as to how many of the six attended Rose Hill and played for Rose Hill at either the varsity level or junior varsity level. Both the varsity and junior varsity teams are a part of the high school program.

And the answer to that question would be that all six did so. Now that, washed up, is full disclosure.

Could you now answer my question concerning "relocations" as a part of further full disclosure? The grade level of the relocators is not relevant in regard to what has been asked. That is a separate issue.
I guess I am wrong I thought that Whetsel, Hart, Thompson, and Friley all began 9th grade at Blazer. If they played at the jv or varsity level as middle schoolers due to lack of numbers, then so be it. The relocation rules do not apply to middle school kids as I understand it. Interesting enough out of those four Whetsel and Friley began their school days in the Ashland system. I believe that Bush and Gregg actually transferred while in high school and I while I have heard rumors about the process that ruled them eligible, I do not have first hand knowledge of the facts. If I would have been correct, then 4 of the 6 would have only attended Blazer in high school and according to KSHAA would not have been required to relocate.
washed up Wrote:I guess I am wrong I thought that Whetsel, Hart, Thompson, and Friley all began 9th grade at Blazer. If they played at the jv or varsity level as middle schoolers due to lack of numbers, then so be it. The relocation rules do not apply to middle school kids as I understand it. Interesting enough out of those four Whetsel and Friley began their school days in the Ashland system. I believe that Bush and Gregg actually transferred while in high school and I while I have heard rumors about the process that ruled them eligible, I do not have first hand knowledge of the facts. If I would have been correct, then 4 of the 6 would have only attended Blazer in high school and according to KSHAA would not have been required to relocate.

Sounds good to me. Still, one must wonder where Ashland would be without the influx of talent developed at Rose Hill. I appreciate your information.
I believe the facts as I stated to be accurate. Nevertheless, to answer your question, I guess Ashland might have been similar to Rose Hill before all their influx of talent.
washed up Wrote:I believe the facts as I stated to be accurate. Nevertheless, to answer your question, I guess Ashland might have been similar to Rose Hill before all their influx of talent.

I agree.
Why did they leave Rose Hill?
I am suprised you agreed so readily with my comparison of what Ashland might be and Rose Hill before Rose Hill's influx of talent.
washed up Wrote:I am suprised you agreed so readily with my comparison of what Ashland might be and Rose Hill before Rose Hill's influx of talent.

No need for surprise. If there had not been the mass exodus, Ashland would have Withrow and little else. RH would have the other four who usually start for Ashland plus Mike Terry of Fairview. Now, Withrow is a decent player but I believe all will agree that he is not near Terry. Terry is clearly the best player in the district and probably the best player in the region.

The reasons that the boys left are almost as many as the number of boys who left. It ranged everywhere from wanting to play football to wanting more playing time to monetary considerations to not wanting to be left behind by all the others. I think most respect the decisions that were made to leave. RH filed no objections to the transfers with KHSAA although being encouraged by a representative of KHSAA to do so. But, then, KHSAA wasn't pleased when RH did not contest the transfers to Scott County a few years ago. RH, to its detriment athletically, does not challenge transfers to other schools. The policy is to avoid harming the students. Was there any overt and/or covert recruiting by other local schools? Absolutely. But it wasn't limited to one or two.

Anyway, I think those at RH wish those who left success. There are very few bad feelings.

I hope this answer from one who knows provides a little insight. ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````