Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Shelby Valley 62 Pikeville 57
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final.
Good Job Boys
Listened to the game driving in to town from Lexington. Valley seemed to have the biggest advantage with their size which was obvious with the halftime stats Newsome and Belter accounted for at least 85% of Valleys points. It was a great gameplan and the players executed it very well! Great win for Valley but I believe that they may still be on track to win the district. Go cats
Nice win. What happened to Pikeville? I thought most people had predicted a win for Pikeville. Anyone have any stats?
I honestly expected Pikeville to blow Shelby Valley out of the gym and I'll be the first to admit that I was dead wrong. Congrats to SV! Awesome win!
Me too ItsAmazing. I really thought Pikeville would dominate them. I hate both teams, but I hate SV alot more and enjoy seeing them lose. Too bad. They must have definitely brought their top game tonight though...
vundy33 Wrote:Me too ItsAmazing. I really thought Pikeville would dominate them. I hate both teams, but I hate SV alot more and enjoy seeing them lose. Too bad. They must have definitely brought their top game tonight though...

I'm not a big fan of either myself, being an East Ridge graduate and all. But I will say that it does please me to see that Pikeville may not run away and hide with the 59th district.
^^Agreed.
vundy33 Wrote:Me too ItsAmazing. I really thought Pikeville would dominate them. I hate both teams, but I hate SV alot more and enjoy seeing them lose. Too bad. They must have definitely brought their top game tonight though...

itzAmazing Wrote:I'm not a big fan of either myself, being an East Ridge graduate and all. But I will say that it does please me to see that Pikeville may not run away and hide with the 59th district.

Why all the hate for Shelby Valley, guys? :biggrin:
More Cowbell Wrote:Why all the hate for Shelby Valley, guys? :biggrin:

lol, for the same reason you're not a big Pikeville or ER fan, hahah.
Congratulations to SV, they had a great game plan early and it really paid off.

The Panthers just were over matched down low in the 1st half. I thought they made some great adjustments in the 2nd half. Even though the half was only won by 2 points, it looked a lot better than the 1st. It's tough, Belter is not a star by any means, but when you are solid like he is and that tall, it is tough for a team with no player over 6'2 to really do much. Belter does a good job of keeping the ball high and using touch around the rim to score.

Offensively for Pikeville, the defense from Shelby Valley really gave them fits. Pikeville is not a great ball handling club, and that was evident tonight. Rowe did a pretty good job tonight, must continue to limit turnovers. As do all Panthers. Branham was hounded all night but did a better job in the 2ndd half of moving and scoring. But as for defense, on offense, the sets that have been working up to this point are altered because of a 6'10 guy standing at the goal. The big difference is ER, JC, etc... have guys that are capable of challenging Belter on both ends, Pikeville had to take some time to find what was working and I think Anderson did a pretty good job in the 2nd half on Belter.

I am confident that Pikeville will do a better job next game with SV. They are very well coached, and do not underestimate the impact the SV team of 2 years ago had on these guys. They were watching them for 5 years in practice, games, etc... and are now very basketball savvy. They just present a lot of match up problems for Pikeville and it has been evident in the past couple of games with SV. That is why I was very hesitant to agree with many predicting PHS by 5+. Just have to get back to work. Pikeville still controls their own destiny, get a little better everyday and go get it next Friday night!
More Cowbell Wrote:Why all the hate for Shelby Valley, guys? :biggrin:

Personally, I respect SV. I am friends with a great deal of people from SV. However, a rival is a rival, and I stay true to my Warriors.
Oh, and congrats to Shelby Valley on a big win. It was definitely unexpected, I certainly didn't figure on SV going into Pikeville and coming away with the "W". That is a very tough place to knock off the home team.

With this win, the district is now wide open. Current standings are:

Pikeville 2-1
Valley 1-1
The Ridge 1-2

There are still two district games left to go, as both Pikeville and ER have to go to SV to play the Wildcats. Pikeville can lock up the #1 seed by winning their game with SV, while Valley can do the same by winning both home games. The best ER can hope for is for all three teams to finish in a tie at 2-2. Then it would go to some kind of tiebreaker (I don't know what that is, either).
More Cowbell Wrote:Oh, and congrats to Shelby Valley on a big win. It was definitely unexpected, I certainly didn't figure on SV going into Pikeville and coming away with the "W". That is a very tough place to knock off the home team.

With this win, the district is now still wide open. Current standings are:

Pikeville 2-1
Valley 1-1
The Ridge 1-2

There are still two district games left to go, as both Pikeville and ER have to go to SV to play the Wildcats. Pikeville can lock up the #1 seed by winning their game with SV, while Valley can do the same by winning both home games. The best ER can hope for is for all three teams to finish in a tie at 2-2. Then it would go to some kind of tiebreaker (I don't know what that is).
Tiebreaker is a draw.
vundy33 Wrote:lol, for the same reason you're not a big Pikeville or ER fan, hahah.

itzAmazing Wrote:Personally, I respect SV. I am friends with a great deal of people from SV. However, a rival is a rival, and I stay true to my Warriors.

Heh, you're right in that I'm not exactly a big fan of either team. I am now and will always be a Shelby Valley guy. But I would never say that I hate either Pikeville or East Ridge. I have nothing against either school, except for 4 particular regular-season games, and then once the 59th tournament starts. :biggrin:

But, if either team was to win the 15th, I would absolutely be rooting for them to represent our area well down at Rupp.
More Cowbell Wrote:Oh, and congrats to Shelby Valley on a big win. It was definitely unexpected, I certainly didn't figure on SV going into Pikeville and coming away with the "W". That is a very tough place to knock off the home team.

With this win, the district is now wide open. Current standings are:

Pikeville 2-1
Valley 1-1
The Ridge 1-2

There are still two district games left to go, as both Pikeville and ER have to go to SV to play the Wildcats. Pikeville can lock up the #1 seed by winning their game with SV, while Valley can do the same by winning both home games. The best ER can hope for is for all three teams to finish in a tie at 2-2. Then it would go to some kind of tiebreaker (I don't know what that is, either).

Game of "rock, paper, scissors" clearly this is the best method.
2/3/2012
Shelby Valley 62
Pikeville 57
Shelby Valley 19 10 18 15 62
Pikeville 14 8 14 21 57
Shelby Valley (12-8) -- J. Lucas 2, L. Lucas 7, Bentley 2, Richardson 12, Belter 23, Newsome 16.
Pikeville (15-9) -- Tackett 13, McAnallen 3, Anderson 2, Hamilton 4, Branham 9, Rowe 26.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2009/12/02/10403...rylink=cpy
Wow! Was dead wrong on this one. Congrats Valley.
I thought the defense Richardson played on Branham was the key to SV win.
Could Pikeville not make it out of the District again?
fred taylor Wrote:Could Pikeville not make it out of the District again?

How could we not? We have such WONDERFUL "Fans" like you. :eyeroll:

Pikeville was outplayed tonight. I think Panther Thunder said it best, hard to play against 6' 10". I also agree with him that the 2nd half was much better. More solid movement of the ball, good blocking out and rebounding. I think the key to it all is drawing Belter out and making him work some on defense instead of setting up camp under the basket. Any team in the 15th that allows him to do that plays to his advantage. When Pikeville was getting out on breaks, he was a non factor because he is slow getting back, and when his man can step out and hit a 12 footer and make him come out, it opens the lane up some. Ball movement is key to doing that, and I didn't see a ton of that in the 1st half. Congrats to Valley, see y'all in the next game.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Congratulations to SV, they had a great game plan early and it really paid off.

The Panthers just were over matched down low in the 1st half. I thought they made some great adjustments in the 2nd half. Even though the half was only won by 2 points, it looked a lot better than the 1st. It's tough, Belter is not a star by any means, but when you are solid like he is and that tall, it is tough for a team with no player over 6'2 to really do much. Belter does a good job of keeping the ball high and using touch around the rim to score.

Offensively for Pikeville, the defense from Shelby Valley really gave them fits. Pikeville is not a great ball handling club, and that was evident tonight. Rowe did a pretty good job tonight, must continue to limit turnovers. As do all Panthers. Branham was hounded all night but did a better job in the 2ndd half of moving and scoring. But as for defense, on offense, the sets that have been working up to this point are altered because of a 6'10 guy standing at the goal. The big difference is ER, JC, etc... have guys that are capable of challenging Belter on both ends, Pikeville had to take some time to find what was working and I think Anderson did a pretty good job in the 2nd half on Belter.

I am confident that Pikeville will do a better job next game with SV. They are very well coached, and do not underestimate the impact the SV team of 2 years ago had on these guys. They were watching them for 5 years in practice, games, etc... and are now very basketball savvy. They just present a lot of match up problems for Pikeville and it has been evident in the past couple of games with SV. That is why I was very hesitant to agree with many predicting PHS by 5+. Just have to get back to work. Pikeville still controls their own destiny, get a little better everyday and go get it next Friday night!

I agree too a certain degree......Valley came out with the win but he made some horrible coaching decisions in a game.....I like Coach Newsome but sometimes I question his motives.....I give a lot of credit to the boys (SV)...They came out scrappy in this game.