Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Madison Southern 2012
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Nickname: Eagles

Head Coach: Jon Clark

2011: 2-8

Last Winning Season: 2005 (9-3, 2nd Round of the playoffs)

Players lost to Graduation: 5

2012 Varsity Schedule
Aug 9 - Rockcastle County (Scrimmage)

Aug 16 - Shelby County (Scrimmage)

Aug 24 - 7:30 PM - @ Bourbon County

Aug 31 - 7:30 PM - @ Lynn Camp

Sep 7 - 7:30 PM - Wayne County

Sep 14 - 7:30 PM - Powell County

Sep 21 - 7:30 PM - @ Southwestern*

Sep 28 - 7:30 PM - @ Lincoln County*

Oct 5 - 7:30 PM - Pulaski County*

Oct 12 - 7:30 PM - North Laurel*

Oct 19 - 7:30 PM - @ South Laurel*

Oct 26 - 7:30 PM - @ Garrard County

http://madisonsouthernfootball.com/?page_id=25
SK...are you sure about the Rockcastle scrimmage? I've not heard anything about it.
^ That's what Southern has listed on there football website

They also have Rock listed for scrimmages on that day for Freshmen and JV and JV plays Rock later on in the year
Called my buddy who coaches there. Yes they are scrig Rock this year.
The Eagles are my pick to win the district.
GC- not picking on you but based off what? Don't get me wrong I hope they do well for my buddies sake but... Not rdy to pencil that in yet.
Well Pulaski is going to struggle again, but this will be the last year for a while. Southwestern loses 13 seniors. Lincoln County loses their go-to guy in Deon Shannon. North Laurel will be weak again. South Laurel will be good with Dethridge at QB. Madison Southern may not necessarily win it, but they will be at the top of the standings and make the playoffs.

The Eagles return much of their team, only losing 5 seniors. Also, they have a lot of their top skill players back. With the addition of Jim Girdler as defensive coordinator, the Eagle defense should be much better.

It is a little early to pick because a lot can change before August, but the Eagles will surprise a lot of people in the fall of 2012.
I think every team in the district will be better than last except for swpc
GetChili Wrote:Well Pulaski is going to struggle again, but this will be the last year for a while. Southwestern loses 13 seniors. Lincoln County loses their go-to guy in Deon Shannon. North Laurel will be weak again. South Laurel will be good with Dethridge at QB. Madison Southern may not necessarily win it, but they will be at the top of the standings and make the playoffs.

The Eagles return much of their team, only losing 5 seniors. Also, they have a lot of their top skill players back. With the addition of Jim Girdler as defensive coordinator, the Eagle defense should be much better.

It is a little early to pick because a lot can change before August, but the Eagles will surprise a lot of people in the fall of 2012.

Well....we'll see what they have at the Rock scrimmage I suppose. Rockcastle will have to rebuild a defense and find a new workhorse at running back. Madison Southern should have most all of the horses they had last year. If they show up good....maybe they will schedule Rockcastle the next year. They backed out this last year and my cousin on MS and my sons on Rockcastle were bummed out about it. It was sort of a family thing when they played each other.
Knowing a lil about the current MS coaching staff, I can guarantee they didnt back out. I know they reached out to rock about the scrig this year.
Did Rock not want to play MS in a real game last year or did MS not renew the contract with Rock last year?
wildthang3 Wrote:Knowing a lil about the current MS coaching staff, I can guarantee they didnt back out. I know they reached out to rock about the scrig this year.

Who opted out of the original playing every year??
wildthang3 Wrote:Knowing a lil about the current MS coaching staff, I can guarantee they didnt back out. I know they reached out to rock about the scrig this year.

Yeah, the current staff didn't back out. I know the story of what happened. They actually pretty much inherited the schedule they had and have this next year. We (my little cousin's dad and I) tried every way in the world to get things worked out through Rock and Mad. So. but Mad So. wouldn't play. The Rockcastle coach was fine with it and had to do some hunting to find some games for Rock this past season because of four teams backing out for various reasons...two had been district opponents before relalignment. One thing or another didn't work out. Anyhow, it won't be the same as it would have this last year between Mad. So. and Rock because two of the cousins, (my son and my cousin's son) will graduate this year. They are buddies and wanted to play each other.
That sucks.

papagrit Wrote:Yeah, the current staff didn't back out. I know the story of what happened. They actually pretty much inherited the schedule they had and have this next year. We (my little cousin's dad and I) tried every way in the world to get things worked out through Rock and Mad. So. but Mad So. wouldn't play. The Rockcastle coach was fine with it and had to do some hunting to find some games for Rock this past season because of four teams backing out for various reasons...two had been district opponents before relalignment. One thing or another didn't work out. Anyhow, it won't be the same as it would have this last year between Mad. So. and Rock because two of the cousins, (my son and my cousin's son) will graduate this year. They are buddies and wanted to play each other.
I don't know as much as I should about this program. I'm originally from Lexington, but I have lived here for three years and know several kids on the team. I'll tell you this, there is an excitement all over Berea, for the first time in a long time about this program... these kids believe they can win... and that's a pretty good start over last year...
Jim Girdler is coaching the dline, but is not the defensive coordinator
Jim Girdler is not the DC at Madison Southern, he is coaching the D-line.
Talked to my buddy today who coaches there. Had their 3rd scrig of spring ball. Was very happy with how they have looked in SB so far. Said they are very fast and the defense has gotten alot better since the past season. Said they have about 40 kids out and have about 5-6 in baseball, with 30 or so incoming freshman.
Madison Southern is going to surprise some people this year.
CreekFan Wrote:I don't know as much as I should about this program. I'm originally from Lexington, but I have lived here for three years and know several kids on the team. I'll tell you this, there is an excitement all over Berea, for the first time in a long time about this program... these kids believe they can win... and that's a pretty good start over last year...

They should have kept Rock on the schedule. Then they can use that for measuring tool.
What is Southern running on Off. and Def?
I saw the last spring game. They are very, very, very fast. They have a track star, Damien Harrison (I'm pretty sure that's his name), with lights out speed. I've been told he clocked the second fastest 100 yard dash for High School athletes in the nation. He made everyone look like they were standing still last Friday night. They are running a 4 3 on deffense, and they are solid. Other than the speed on offense, they will need some work. They are running out of an old "wing T" formation. It's a little dated, and predictable. They didn't throw the ball much at all... but over all... They look really good...
^ It's Harris. That kid can flat out fly
I know they were missing 2 starters on the oline, a starting WR and a def back bc of baseball, injuries and other issues. The Harris kid is something else, talking to some of the coaches at MS, he is already being asked about from major college coaches bc of his speed alone. Ms was improved on defense looked like and off, taking into the fact they didn't have 2 oline starters changed my thinking on what I saw. I know the MS staff was happy with how much they got done in spring ball.
wildthang3 Wrote:I know they were missing 2 starters on the oline, a starting WR and a def back bc of baseball, injuries and other issues. The Harris kid is something else, talking to some of the coaches at MS, he is already being asked about from major college coaches bc of his speed alone. Ms was improved on defense looked like and off, taking into the fact they didn't have 2 oline starters changed my thinking on what I saw. I know the MS staff was happy with how much they got done in spring ball.

I have hered that a couple players had bad grades and will miss the first couple of games next year. They looked like they had good numbers in the scrimage the other night. Thats one thing in years past that has killed southern. I look for them to have a good year this season.
Keeping up with MS bc they are a district opp but also have connections there now. The Harris kid has gotten about 5-6 offers already most recently U of Tenn. Impressive for a to be soph. Look for MS to have a big year.
wildthang3 Wrote:Keeping up with MS bc they are a district opp but also have connections there now. The Harris kid has gotten about 5-6 offers already most recently U of Tenn. Impressive for a to be soph. Look for MS to have a big year.

Harris also has been called the best Freshman RB in the Mid-West. He's the real deal. The whole backfield is fast and has alot of tuffness!
Wow! Very impressive.