Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Prestonsburg 90 Belfry 88 (OT)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
PBurg hits a 3 at the end of the 4th to send it to OT (Why Belfry didn't foul I will never understand) and then hits a shot to go up 2 with 6 seconds left and Belfry doesn't convert to a win. Good game out of Josh Robinson and Brett Charles from Belfry. PBurg can't be a bad team, #2 can shoot the lights out of the ball and #55 is huge. Jamerson is long and athletic.
Wow! Sounds like quite an offensive, exciting game.
Belfry0304 Wrote:PBurg hits a 3 at the end of the 4th to send it to OT (Why Belfry didn't foul I will never understand) and then hits a shot to go up 2 with 6 seconds left and Belfry doesn't convert to a win. Good game out of Josh Robinson and Brett Charles from Belfry. PBurg can't be a bad team, #2 can shoot the lights out of the ball and #55 is huge. Jamerson is long and athletic.

Because we have a coach who is ,honestly, not head coach material. Thats why!!! He was an excellent assistant but he should have never been allowed to step into the head coaching position at Belfry. I gave up on this program years ago and it hurts me to see what has happened to a once proud program.
As I've posted in a few other threads for other programs. What/who is the answer?

JJ Hylton isn't walking through that door anytime soon, nor is Raymond Justice or Tommy Dean Runyon.

That job is not that attractive because the lack of commitment to basketball or any other sport other than football but that is where Belfry's bread is buttered so how can you blame them. The few games I have watched them play, it seems they lack numbers and size. 7th and 8th graders on the bench and no size other than Messer. What can a coach do about that?

The Pike County BOE is in financial dire straights, they will not bring in coaches for Belfry because they can't.

Who/what is the answer?
Sounds like a hell of a game. Would've loved to be there...love seeing scores like this in our region.
region Wrote:As I've posted in a few other threads for other programs. What/who is the answer?

JJ Hylton isn't walking through that door anytime soon, nor is Raymond Justice or Tommy Dean Runyon.

That job is not that attractive because the lack of commitment to basketball or any other sport other than football but that is where Belfry's bread is buttered so how can you blame them. The few games I have watched them play, it seems they lack numbers and size. 7th and 8th graders on the bench and no size other than Messer. What can a coach do about that?

The Pike County BOE is in financial dire straights, they will not bring in coaches for Belfry because they can't.

Who/what is the answer?

You're right it isnt an attractive job to an established coach. Was it at one time? Definately. But after Coach J. was "ran" off we settled for David Hatfield who done nothing but cloud some of the prestige Belfry had garnered and then came Coach Casey would completely washed it away. You are correct in saying that football is the bread and butter but hasnt it always been that way? Wasnt it that way in the early and mid nineties when Belfry was winning and competing for a regional crown? The committment and excitement was there and I saw first hand how passionate the Belfry fans could be about basketball when a good product was put in front of them. I can honestly say for about a 3-4 year period in the early 90's Pirate basketball had all but overtaken Pirate football as the "in" sport. If you were around the program then you couldnt say there was a lack of committment. The selling point then was if you were good enough you would play and also play for a very knowledgeable coach who for the most part left the politics at the front door. Now we have a horrible Xs and Os coach who has pacified the powers that be with some sort of hypnosis. Coach J didnt just have the talent he knew how to coach those kids and I dont think Coach Casey could have taken that bunch in the early 90's and won. Thus he in no way can take a less talented team and make them play above their heads.
Like I said, Coach Justice isn't walking through that door ever again.

You have identified what you think are the problems.

Now, who or what is the answer?
This one sounds like it was a barn burner.