Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Covington Holy Cross 48, Owen County 35
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Owen County got off to a great start in the 1st quarter, then Holy Cross defense shut down the Rebels in quarters 2, 3, and 4.

Jake Burger with another impressive performance for the Indians, dropping 20 points and collecting 10 rebounds. Tony Campbell added 13 points, 7 rebounds, and I lost count on blocks.

Owen County was led by Stone Osborne and Justin Shelton with 9 each.

The difference in this game, turnovers and turnover points. Owen County had 18 turnovers, a few of them should have been fouls on Holy Cross. Holy Cross capitalized with 21 turnover points.
Holy Cross will play Collegiate in the semi finals tomorrow night at 7:30
Congrats to your Indians, toussaints. And, I have to disagree with the HC student section cheer a mere 10 seconds into the game. It was not quite "just like football". But the Indians were the deserved winner again.

The game was decided by two "mini-runs" in the second half...a 9-2 run over the last five minutes in the third which turned a 26-25 Owen lead into a Holy Cross 34-28 lead. In the 4th, Owen battled through turnovers, missed FTs, and missed point blank shots to cut the lead to 36-33 with around 4 minutes to do. Holy Cross went on an 8-0 run, thanks to turnovers on four straight Owen Co possessions and Holy Cross converting each time over the next 2:36 to lead 44-33 with 1:43 to play, and that was that.

Still a very entertaining game. Even though it counts as either a W or L, and only one team advances, the game was closer than the final score indicated. Or as they say in English soccer....a "harsh scoreline"

Jake Burger was the best player on the floor, and was especially huge when Campbell was saddled with foul trouble. Sawyer Williams and Campbell battled hard...stat sheet gives Campbell the advantage, (his block total was 6) but I thought Sawyer didnt back down an inch. Owen won the battle of the boards, too....although it wasnt enough to offset the turnovers and missed FTs.

Owen Co had 18 TOs (credit goes to the trapping press Holy Cross employed) and 7/16 at the line. If the Rebels can clean those up, or at least limit the TOs and misses, they will be a nasty opponent at the regional tournament in a month, just based onm their defending alone. I am assuming their district opponent will be the Eminence-Carroll Co play in game winner.

I like Holy Cross as well. Certainly players like Burger and Campbell can take them a long way in March. How does their distict seed or blind draw? They are still in with Holmes, CovCath, and Beechwood, correct?

Good luck to Holy Cross the rest of the way, I hope you all can bring another state title back to Latonia.
Holy Cross is still in the 35th district with Holmes and CovCath. 3 of the top 4 teams in the 9th and 1 of them won't make the regional tournament. Holmes already locked up the top seed so chances are the Indians will play CovCath in round 1 of the districts.

Owen County can make some big noise in the 8th this year, especially with the emotion they had at the beginning of the game. Sawyer did a pretty good job against Campbell, but the secret to beating HC isn't stopping Campbell, it's shutting down Burger.
1/27/2012
Covington Holy Cross 48
Owen Co. 35
Owen Co. 12 9 7 7 35
Covington Holy Cross 7 16 11 14 48
All 'A' Classic at Frankfort
Owen Co. (16-8) -- Ripy 8, Ball 2, Osborne 9, Williams 7, Shelton 9.
Covington Holy Cross (20-2) -- Thompson 7, Burger 20, McClendon 2, Fortner 4, Campbell 13, Fuller 2.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2009/12/02/10403...rylink=cpy
How large was the Owen Co Crowd?
Good crowd, not sure of the #s, probably guessing they filled 1/3 of the seats in the gym..the biggest following among the six fan bases I saw last night (didnt see West Carter or Heath) but you expect that with the proximity of Owen County to Frankfort, and the large number of OC residents and alums who work for the state government.

Where is the 35th district tournament this year?
The_OC Wrote:Where is the 35th district tournament this year?

I believe it's at Beechwood High School