Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Whitley Co. 69 Harlan Co. 56
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1/27/2012
Whitley Co. 69
Harlan Co. 56
Harlan Co. 14 7 17 18 56
Whitley Co. 17 14 17 21 69
Harlan Co. (15-6) -- Stittums 10, Cornett 2, Lee 2, Davenport 10, Carroll 9, Massingill 15, Mimes 8.
Whitley Co. (14-6) -- Powers 9, Smith 19, Craig 9, Johnson 8, Anderson 11, Holbrook 1, Bingess 3, Jones 9

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/11/23/15374...rylink=cpy
Whitley was impressive. It's their best team in a number of years.
HDE Wrote:Whitley was impressive. It's their best team in a number of years.

Larry Anderson is a great coach and a terrific guy. While I still believe it will be Clay, Whitley, Harlan Co., and Harlan in the semis in some way, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Whitley gets its first regional championship in a long time.

A hat tip to Coach Anderson and the Colonels!
Congrats to Whitley on a big region win. Harlan Co. really missed Evans in this game.
Smith continues her scoring.

Most of you probably believe im going to gloat, but im not. Im sure most believe me now though that Whitley is very good and will agree that for a team filled with underclassmen and only one senior that will be missed next year, Whitley will get only stronger.

Harlan County is the 3rd or 4th best team in this region, but as i said, i strongly believe its clay and whitleys to lose, with harlan county and harlan close behind.
Backwoods Wrote:Congrats to Whitley on a big region win. Harlan Co. really missed Evans in this game.

Is Evans done for the year?
I think Whitley will kick Clays but on that big floor in the arena
If Whitley gets the lead and gets out and runs clay will never catch them Whitley is so deep and they are so muck quicker than Clay Mitchell and Maddens tongues will be hanging out by midway of the 3rd quarter
But I disagree with the coment about Anderson being such a good coach
Overbey is why this bunch is so good He took them and played the past few summers and it is paying off Good Luck Whitley
^
I would have personally liked to have seen Overbay wait for his turn at coaching the girls and would have liked to have seen the administration go after someone else proven in boys basketball, but i can see why they did it. They wanted a long term coach that wouldnt quit after two years like the past ten boys coaches have at Whitley. But that dont always mean your gettign the "right" choice.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Is Evans done for the year?

I think so. Not sure about surgery though. It's ashame to see such a good athlete like her go down that way.
Southern Pride Wrote:I think Whitley will kick Clays but on that big floor in the arena
If Whitley gets the lead and gets out and runs clay will never catch them Whitley is so deep and they are so muck quicker than Clay Mitchell and Maddens tongues will be hanging out by midway of the 3rd quarter
But I disagree with the coment about Anderson being such a good coach
Overbey is why this bunch is so good He took them and played the past few summers and it is paying off Good Luck Whitley

I agree with you.....if Whitley had a decent coach they would be unbeatable in this region. If they do not win the region and go on to state...there will be one reason and one reason only.......Larry Anderson.... He has never won a region title in over 25 years of coaching.....very sad for all the great players he has messed over and continues to mess over today.:happytear:
^
Sad, but true
He should have atleast 5 regions that i can think of
I can only think of one when I thought Whitley clearly had the best team.
Do you remember the years?
^
In all honesty, i might have been exxaggerating a bit, however, there were two years when Heather Taylor was there i thought we were the best team in the region, and two years after her that i believe we had the best talent in the region, but we didnt have the BEST player in the region and you know as well as i do in girls basketball, sometimes having the best plyer wins it for you instead of having the best team.
I think the point he was trying to make is that if we had another coach been at the helm, maybe a better one, he could have took some of the teams Whitley has had and went somewhere with them.
Dont get me wrong, i think Anderson is an excellent coach. He has won numerous games at Whitley and done great thing for the program. He's a great team coach.
If it were not for Jackson and the big Elliot girl we would have won in 01.
There were numerous times Clay was the only team that could have knocked us out, and did.
I want to say in the mid 90's (I cant remember the year) we were in the mix.

You might remember but i cant, but didnt Whitley have a team in the late 80's that were the favorites?

Im not sure if it was coaching as much as it was the pure dominance of one team or another over the years thats always been the thorn.
This is why im glad we have pretty good parity this year and theres not one team thats the overwhelming favorite. If we dont win it this year, its our own fault because IMO, we have a good chance as well as others in the region do.

Weve had the talent over the years and some of the best players to come out of the region, but for a school our size to not win a region since 85 (last time we won state, and only time) is not good on our part.