Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Coach of the year for your Region?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Just wondering what you think right now in your region!
14th Denny Fugate - Breathitt and John Noble - Buckhorn has to be the top 2. Breathitt has came a long way this year and Noble finally got over the hump and went to the All A. You could also throw in Coach Hollands name from Hazard, he has coached his team of sophomores to some great wins and are playing well right now.
I think coach holland and coach noble has both done good jobs. Not sure the big wins that hhs has that ur talking about, theyve played some good teams tuff though. Buckhorn has a few good wins over clay, sheldon clark and pulaski. My 2 frontrunners would b hatcher or BB. Bb has had a great season thus far and is mostly playing with freshman, several pretty good wins. Hatcher is having a really good season as well, some good wins as too. I think the winner of 14th region tourney is the coach of the yr.
In the 15th its Kevin Spurlock of Sheldon Clark. Has team at 19 - 4 :Thumbs::Thumbs:
14th Region---John Noble (Buckhorn)
ballstar Wrote:I think coach holland and coach noble has both done good jobs. Not sure the big wins that hhs has that ur talking about, theyve played some good teams tuff though. Buckhorn has a few good wins over clay, sheldon clark and pulaski. My 2 frontrunners would b hatcher or BB. Bb has had a great season thus far and is mostly playing with freshman, several pretty good wins. Hatcher is having a really good season as well, some good wins as too. I think the winner of 14th region tourney is the coach of the yr.

I know they have some good wins and are #1,2 in the region, but these teams are supposed to be good and supposed to win. Don't really have to do much coaching when you have th talent they have, even if they are freshman. Just doesn't show me coaching ability is that involved.
16th Region: Jeremy Webb- West Carter
mountain hoops guru Wrote:I know they have some good wins and are #1,2 in the region, but these teams are supposed to be good and supposed to win. Don't really have to do much coaching when you have th talent they have, even if they are freshman. Just doesn't show me coaching ability is that involved.

I agree somewhat, but it making the kids buy in is usually the hardest part. I think al and john are both great coaches but they were both picked higher than kcc at the first of the yr. I think its either hatcher or BB at this point. You could also make a case for noble since he was runner up at wymt and all A regional champ.
I think Denny has done an excellent job in year one

Wins-Hazard twice, Buckhorn,Johnson Central,and West Carter

Loses- Wolfe Co (missed a TON of FTs that game),LCC in OT on the road and 19point loss to PCC. If BC beat PC there would be no question IMO. BC has PCC and KCC 2times on the schedule remaining

Denny has an good argument for coach of the year in the 14th
I wouldn't be able to decide the 14th Region COY

Hatcher and Holland are the best in the biz so they always have a shot to win it.
John Noble has done a lot over at Buckhorn. They catch a few breaks in the tourney of the classic and they could've been WYMT champs and 14th Region All "A" Champs.
BB King has done a good job at KCC. No one expected them in the finals last year and as long as they show up late in the season he will be fine.
Denny Fugate had a rough year at Cordia last year but has something to work with at Breathitt. I wouldn't be surprised if those boys don't turn some heads at region.
ballstar Wrote:I think coach holland and coach noble has both done good jobs. Not sure the big wins that hhs has that ur talking about, theyve played some good teams tuff though. Buckhorn has a few good wins over clay, sheldon clark and pulaski. My 2 frontrunners would b hatcher or BB. Bb has had a great season thus far and is mostly playing with freshman, several pretty good wins. Hatcher is having a really good season as well, some good wins as too. I think the winner of 14th region tourney is the coach of the yr.

Don't they decide that before the tourney is over with?
Yes they do I think. I was just sayin!!
Agree, 16th region Jeremy Webb. Although Rowan & Ashland may have a more so-called "talented" team Webb is able to pull alot out of his players. Spurlock is the favorite in the 15th. He has had a great run this season and with mostly a young team. They are few in number but he gets them to compete the all four quarters.
This isn't a list of who I think are the best coaches but just a list of who I believe have done a better coach this season so far. Again not a list of greatest, because we all know Hatcher and Holland are at the top of that....

Just off of this season so far.....

1 - Coach Noble (Buckhorn) - I would have to say Noble is my frontrunner right now because this is his team. He has built this team for the last 4 years. I believe he plays 6 seniors and they are all from Buckhorn. He kept this group together for this year. Unlike Perry, Hazard, and Knott, Coach Noble built his own team up. And IMO Buckhorn is a real contender in the 14th this season. And Noble just led his team to a All "A" regional championship, something that Hazard has owned in the 14th.

2 - Coach Holland (Hazard) - No one in the region lost more talent from last years team then Coach Holland. I believe there are only 2 coaches in the region that could win with this team (Holland and Hatcher). At the beginning of the season Hazard was a laughing stock in the region, in the community, and in their own school. But now Hazard can be a real danger for anyone in the region. Holland is working as hard as he ever has. Hazard has had some pretty good wins: Harlan County, Betsy Lane, and @ Shelby Valley.

3 - Coach Fugate (Breathitt) - Denny took over a team that for the last few years had been known as a sloppy team. But Coach Fugate has his team buying into his system.
Fugate has really turned these boys into ball players and a regional contending team.

4 - Coach Hatcher (Perry) - The only reason I put Hatcher in here is because I know how hard he works. And I promise no coach in the region coaches and puts more into his team then Hatcher. The reason he is at #4 is because there is no surprise in how good Perry Central is this season. They are the most talented team in the region. But when Jaysean first started playing it was kind of ugly but Hatcher has Jaysean playing within his offense and Perry Central is the #1 team in the region.

IMO... Those 4 are it right now....
mountain hoops guru Wrote:Just wondering what you think right now in your region!
14th Denny Fugate - Breathitt and John Noble - Buckhorn has to be the top 2. Breathitt has came a long way this year and Noble finally got over the hump and went to the All A. You could also throw in Coach Hollands name from Hazard, he has coached his team of sophomores to some great wins and are playing well right now.

Noble is doing a good job. Hatcher is Hatcher and will likely win the
region. Holland has taken a team that in December looked godawful,
and made them competitive in the 14th. King has Knott in the running
for the region.

That being said, Denny Fugate, HANDS DOWN, is this year's COY in
the 14th. Almost total turnaround of the Bobcats, and while they
are a darkhorse for the region, they have come miles.
Coach Spurlock at SC is doing a fantastic job. I would have to go with him thus far in the 15th region.
I would have to say John Noble from Buckhorn is the Coach of the Year. He works just as hard as Hatcher does and still has time to go out and body slam people on the weekends.
It would be easy for me to say Holy Cross coach Erik Goetz in the 9th region, BUT Scott Ruthsatz at CovCath gets my vote.

Took over a team that saw their previous head coach leave to be an assistant at district rival Holmes. They entered the season with fairly low expectations and coming all the way from New Jersey, he has this bunch as a regional contender
In the 10th, GRC's Scott Humphrey. Lost 9 seniors from last years team and wasn't even considered by most to be a contender this year. Has this team believing in themselves and ranked in the state.
DSRfan Wrote:Noble is doing a good job. Hatcher is Hatcher and will likely win the
region. Holland has taken a team that in December looked godawful,
and made them competitive in the 14th. King has Knott in the running
for the region.

That being said, Denny Fugate, HANDS DOWN, is this year's COY in
the 14th. Almost total turnaround of the Bobcats, and while they
are a darkhorse for the region, they have come miles.

Don't see how he's HANDS DOWN the COY. What turnaround? They are 16-3 so far this year with a likely loss tonight. They were 14-4 through Jan last year. No great turnaround. Would like to see Noble win it. Don't underestimate the coaching it requires to coach talent like Hatcher and BB has.
John Noble or Denny Fugate
sixteenthregion Wrote:Agree, 16th region Jeremy Webb. Although Rowan & Ashland may have a more so-called "talented" team Webb is able to pull alot out of his players.
:Thumbs:
Coach of the year is not based on your past accomplishments and having the most talent, it is based on how you achieve with the players you are coaching. BB King at KCC coach of the year, he has not lost to a team in the state of KY 19 - 0. Al Holland second, he is playing with virtually a JV squad.
WALL2WALL Wrote:John Noble or Denny Fugate
I think you opinion might be a little biased based on the fact the Denny is a X MC Napier coach and Noble is a Perry County coach. Smile lol!!!
OutsideLookingIn Wrote:Coach of the year is not based on your past accomplishments and having the most talent, it is based on how you achieve with the players you are coaching. BB King at KCC coach of the year, he has not lost to a team in the state of KY 19 - 0. Al Holland second, he is playing with virtually a JV squad.

He's also not played PCC yet.
He will not be undefeated in the State after that.
In the 14th region
1. Denny Fugate 2. Allan Hatcher 3. John Noble 4. B.B. King 5. Allan Holland
Do players make the coach or does the coach make the players. Coaches that are in programs that have a larger student body to pull from, or who have transfers that have the most talent, or whatever contributing factor that puts them at a win advantage does not mean they are the best coach. I like the little guys who have small schools and who suck every three or four years and have to build players and team to have a winning season and every now and then win a district.
Doctor J Wrote:Don't see how he's HANDS DOWN the COY. What turnaround? They are 16-3 so far this year with a likely loss tonight. They were 14-4 through Jan last year. No great turnaround. Would like to see Noble win it. Don't underestimate the coaching it requires to coach talent like Hatcher and BB has.

Hatcher and King are doing excellent jobs this year. Like Noble, but he has maybe the
best player in the region.They have not done the turnaround job Fugate has.
Breathitt was zero threat for the region last year, despite what their record may
have been. PCC and KCC are certainly the faves this year, but BHS is competitive
and could sneak out a title with the right draw and a hot night. If I was betting I would
certainly pick PCC right now, but they have an advantage at every position over
Breathitt. Not saying it takes no coaching to coach those kids. I am a HUGE Hatcher
fan. But he had a MUCH better place to start from this year than Fugate did.
BB is a good coach and is winning but lets be honest here. With the talent he has he would be run out of town if he weren't winning.

IMO the 14th region coach of the year should be between Holland, Noble, and Fugate. Those three are close right now and for me to take one of those over the others I would like to see how the rest of the season plays out.

Fugate has done wonders with Breathitt this year. This team completely fell apart last year in tough games and was downright embarrassed against the top teams in the region last year.

Noble built Buckhorn from nothing when he took over and is winning with nothing but Buckhorn kids which is something the other top teams in the region can't say.

Holland like others have said is coaching a glorified JV team and is very competitive with the top teams.
Altro Cat Wrote:BB is a good coach and is winning but lets be honest here. With the talent he has he would be run out of town if he weren't winning.

IMO the 14th region coach of the year should be between Holland, Noble, and Fugate. Those three are close right now and for me to take one of those over the others I would like to see how the rest of the season plays out.

Fugate has done wonders with Breathitt this year. This team completely fell apart last year in tough games and was downright embarrassed against the top teams in the region last year.

Noble built Buckhorn from nothing when he took over and is winning with nothing but Buckhorn kids which is something the other top teams in the region can't say.

Holland like others have said is coaching a glorified JV team and is very competitive with the top teams.

Agreed
Hazard's talent is a little better than a good JV squad. They have good size inside and have some nice young guards.
Pages: 1 2 3