Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Harlan County 63 Knox Central 58 (OT)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final from Barbourville, KY.

Congratulations HC Bears!!
Tough game....great win for the Bears.
physical game for both sides

Congrats bears...
Good win for Harlan Co. against a solid Knox Central team.
This could have been a preview of the region championship...
Nice win for the Black Bears Congrats.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:This could have been a preview of the region championship...

That's what I was thinking, too. I'm not sure I can watch these kinds of games in a tournament atmosphere...just getting too old!!

How close can these teams be? I mean, Good Lord!!

HC vs Clay - double over time (score tied at end of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th AND 5th periods of play!)
HC vs KC - over time

And even though HC beat Bell by double digits, the games were actually much closer than the score indicated. HC hit their free throws down the stretch, or those games could very well have been OT.

Thirteenth is about as close as you can get.
matthew barger,freshman for knox missed one of two free throws with 2 seconds left that could have won it for k.c. with 4 starters fouled out for k.c they faded in o.t. i dont know who the zebras were for this game but there was never a flow or even consistency of calls either way.these two teams should meet again in the regional.
I refuse to diss the officials because every time I do, I get slammed on here!
However, I couldn't agree with you more. I'm not saying that the crew favored one team over the other, but consistency just didn't exist and the kids never gained an opportunity to adjust. We had 3 foul out and an injury that prevented the 4th starter to finish OT (18 stitches). We finished that game with 3 freshman on the floor.

When Barger went to the free throw line, I left the game with intentions to watch the ending from the door. I was glad that I got to sit down again. That young man is a phenomenal leader.
big blu 2 u Wrote:matthew barger,freshman for knox missed one of two free throws with 2 seconds left that could have won it for k.c. with 4 starters fouled out for k.c they faded in o.t. i dont know who the zebras were for this game but there was never a flow or even consistency of calls either way.these two teams should meet again in the regional.

First of all, the technical on Caldwell from Harlan Co. in the first half was terrible and then, the call on the strip by Sergent at the end of regulation was atrocious. One official tried his best to give Knox Central the game.

I'll be honest. The Bargers are good, solid basketball players, but WAY too mouthy with the officials. The one that got t'd up twice could have gotten his second technical long before he actually did. Then, the other one, every time he would score, he would look to an official as if to say he was fouled. If they call it, they call it. If they don't, go back down court and play defense! At that point, looking at the ref is going to do nothing but deter them from calling it next time you actually do get fouled.

My final point is this. The atmosphere at Knox Central reminded me of why I miss having the Regional Tournament at school sites. Honestly, as rowdy as that crowd was and the student section behind the Harlan Co. goal in the second half was what I always loved about attending Regional Tournaments. The KC fans created a rowdy atmosphere, and one that I actually enjoyed!
Dont make it look so one-sided like HC got all the bad calls my friend. What about #34 for HC who spent the whole game throwing flagrant elbows and walking by KC players jawing and trying to shoulder bump them when he would come out of the game. I do agree that J. Barger needs to be a Sr. and shutup and play, but the charge call was absolutely the worst I have seen. HC has an unstoppable offense if they are allowed to let the post player turn and mow ppl down while the guards drive at them and jump on top of the pile to score. Looked like a short yardage offense they ran in football. Both teams are VERY good and the officiating was VERY inconsistant throughout for both teams. The poor guards from both teams were so confused about what was and wasnt a foul. A reach one time down the floor was a foul, then the next time a forarm shiver wasnt. How can 3 grown men all miss calls and be so stinkin inconsistant with calls?
This would be a very sweet rematch later on in the region. Good Luck to both teams for the rest of their respective seasons! :Thumbs:
^^
Agree 100%.
Re-match should be a very very good game!!
Hitters_Count Wrote:Dont make it look so one-sided like HC got all the bad calls my friend. What about #34 for HC who spent the whole game throwing flagrant elbows and walking by KC players jawing and trying to shoulder bump them when he would come out of the game. I do agree that J. Barger needs to be a Sr. and shutup and play, but the charge call was absolutely the worst I have seen. HC has an unstoppable offense if they are allowed to let the post player turn and mow ppl down while the guards drive at them and jump on top of the pile to score. Looked like a short yardage offense they ran in football. Both teams are VERY good and the officiating was VERY inconsistant throughout for both teams. The poor guards from both teams were so confused about what was and wasnt a foul. A reach one time down the floor was a foul, then the next time a forarm shiver wasnt. How can 3 grown men all miss calls and be so stinkin inconsistant with calls?
This would be a very sweet rematch later on in the region. Good Luck to both teams for the rest of their respective seasons! :Thumbs:

Actually, I do agree with some of your comments. The officiating was very inconsistent throughout the game. I shouldn't have made it seem so one sided and that was not my intent. I was just simply trying to reference the calls that I thought were bad against Harlan Co. There were bad calls and some no calls that I thought undoubtedly went against Knox Central. However, I'm not exactly sure what charge call you are referring to. If it's the one where #5 picked up his fifth foul and got the technical, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. Reason being, he started in with the ball outside the three point arch and the kid was just waiting on him and the kid never moved because he had nowhere to go. I don't see how that could not have been a charge. However, from your perspective, it could have been different. We'll just agree to disagree on that call, if that's the one you were referencing.

I have always said that I fear Knox Central much more than Barbourville. Reason being, Knox matches Barbourville in guard play with Broughton and Hildebrand against the Bargers but the difference to me is Merida. Geez, he is an absolute load down low. When the Bargers are shooting well and Merida gets his fair share of touches, I certainly don't want to see Knox Central in the tournament unless it's really late.
Believe me Hitters Count, NO ONE in their right mind would say that the officiating was one sided!!

There were plenty of bad/no calls to go around both teams!!