Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: NFL Draft: Top 5 Quarterback Prospects
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
No. 1 Andrew Luck, Stanford
Doug Pensinger/Getty Images
Height/Weight: 6-4 / 235

40 Time: 4.73

Projected Round: No. 1 Pick

There's no question that Andrew Luck is the most complete quarterback prospect in the 2012 class. Luck played in a pro-type offense at Stanford, which helps make him more prepared for the NFL than any other quarterback in his class.

Luck shows great footwork on his drops. He also does a good job of setting his feet and facing his body towards the target on the run.

As impressive is Luck's decision-making at the line of scrimmage. Much like Peyton Manning for the Colts, Luck acted as a coach on the field at Stanford. He was in charge of the audibles at the line of scrimmage, which you don't see a whole lot at the college level.

The only negative I can really think of for Luck are whether or not the expectations are too high for him. A lot of people are already projecting him to win Super Bowls and to be a Hall of Famer, and that's a lot to live up to for a guy who has never taken a snap in the NFL.
No. 2 Robert Griffin III, Baylor
Sarah Glenn/Getty Images
Height/Weight: 6-2 / 220

40 Time: 4.52

Projected Round: Top 5 Pick

No player in the country has risen up the draft boards as much as Robert Griffin. Going into the season most people viewed RGIII solely as an athletic quarterback and didn't really consider him as an NFL-type player—but he quickly proved everyone wrong.

Griffin has great accuracy on every type of throw. His deep ball accuracy particularly stood out to me this year. Griffin consistently stretched the field in every game this year yet still completed 72 percent of his passes. Griffin also showed good accuracy on the run.

I think Griffin could be a very good NFL quarterback, but I do have a few concerns. His size and possible injury issues make me worry about him some what. Griffin took a lot of hits in college and I'm interested to see how he holds up in the NFL.
No. 3 Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M
Darren Carroll/Getty Images
Height/Weight: 6-4 / 222

40 Time: 4.65

Projected Round: Early 2nd Round

Ryan Tannehill has probably been the biggest beneficiary of Matt Barkley and Landry Jones' decision to stay in college. Tannehill is now being looked at as a possible first round draft pick, but I think that might be a little high for him.

Tannehill is still learning the quarterback position. This was his first full year as the starting quarterback for Texas A&M—Tannehill played receiver his first two and a half seasons with the Aggies.

I think this definitely makes Tannehill a long term prospect, but I don't see him stepping in his first year and having success.

Being an ex-WR, Tannehill has good athleticism and speed for a quarterback. He also has good accuracy on short and intermediate passes. But Tannehill didn't throw the ball deep a lot at A&M, and I was hoping to see more of him at the Senior Bowl.

Unfortunately Tannehill will miss the Senior Bowl due to a broken foot. This could hurt him some as he still has a lot to prove, but I think he will still be an early second round pick.
Previous 5 of 7 Next
No. 4 Nick Foles, Arizona
Christian Petersen/Getty Images
Height/Weight: 6-5 / 240

40 Time: 4.96

Projected Round: Late 2nd Round or Early 3rd Round

I'll be honest here—I've seen less of Nick Foles then the rest of the quarterbacks on the list, but I think he has potential. Foles has good size and definitely looks like an NFL quarterback. He has good arm strength, but it's not elite.

From the small amount of film I've watched on Foles, he appears to have good pocket presence and he's very accurate on short passes.

Foles has a longer throwing motion which makes the ball arrive a little later on deeper passes, however. Good coaching could help make his release a little quicker which is important in the NFL.

Foles isn't the most athletic quarterback on the list, and I'm interested to see him more under center. At Arizona he took most of the snaps in the shotgun formation, so he could need some time to adjust to the NFL.
No. 5 Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State
Doug Pensinger/Getty Images
Height/Weight: 6-4 / 218

40 Time: 4.92

Projected Round: 3rd Round

Brandon Weeden is 28 years old, which I think hurts his draft stock more then it helps him. By the time Weeden adjusts to the NFL he will be in his 30's and will almost be out of his prime.

Weeden has good size and arm strength. He also shows good touch on fade passes. Throwing to Justin Blackmon certainly doesn't hurt, though.

I think if Weeden was younger he could be a late first round or an early second round pick, but as he is already 28 already I think he's more of a third round-type prospect.
The only thing I disagree with is Tannehills projection. I could see him going there, but he could go as high as mid 1st round.
I think i'd go for Weeden over everyone else but luck.
In all honesty Griffin probably wont be that great. That type of player just hardly ever does.
Remember Weeden's age. By the time the draft comes, he will be 29 wont he?
Id pass on Weeded...big 12 qb's never fair that great. Only 2 in the top 30 this year. I think besides luck and possibly griffin this year is gonna be short on qb's. I think the bottom half of the top 10 will fair better than the top half.
Luck is the only QB I can see here becoming a starter in the NFL. I love RG III but I just don't see him being an NFL quarterback. I hope I'm wrong though.
I dont want to give up on RGIII yet, He has made great improvements in his accuracy and deep ball. If he keeps improving like that, with his skill set he could be great.
Take Luck if I were the man in charge.
The thing with drafting QB's is your only drafting them to play QB.
Unlike an offensive or defensive lineman that can move around or maybe even recievers who a team could play 4 to 5 of a game, the QB is limited mostly to 32-40 spot a year max. Those extra 8 are for players who come in because of injury or because the starter sucks.
If you look at that, your chances of bring a pro qb, and a starting one to say the least is very slim especially when you have guys like Brady, Rodgers, and the Mannings and many more who have solidified there spots and will start no matter what until they retire.
This is why these teams who are drafting first always want the good qb, because they have no qb.
As for the Browns, they'll prolly draft RG3. With that said, he'll have vitually no help with one of the worst teams in the league. Will it be his fault his team will more than likely gor 3-13 next year or worse, no, but he'll never be able to make a name for hisself and fall to the shadows like so many other pro qb's have. Take our good ole buddy tim couch for example. IMHO, he was a much better prospect coming out of college than RG3 ever thought about being, but due to the brownies, never made it anywhere. Another thing to look at is his inner division opponents. You have two of the best defenses in the league with Pitt and Baltimore and a good young Cincy team that will be right there again next year.
I just dont see any where for him to go.

I think it would help him a lot to go somewhere like Philly and learn under Vick whos style greatly resembles his. We all know rookie QB's in the league hardly ever work, mostly because of what i just stated, there going to an awful team, but in all reality, id say his time in the league will not be a very productive one.
Give me RG3. Olympic speed, great accuracy, and the "it" factor.