Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: All-Time Wins (1/20/12)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Total WINS according to Khsaa.org and Riherd's Scoreboard results
1. Willam Kean (Central) 856
2. Dale Mabry (PRP) 779*
3. Billy Hicks (Scott Co.) 776*
4. Ron Beavers (N. Hardin) 772*
5. Bobby Keith (Clay Co.) 767
6. Pearl Combs (Vicco, Hindman) 761
*active coach, totals through 1/19/12
rawlingsfan Wrote:Total WINS according to Khsaa.org and Riherd's Scoreboard results
1. Willam Kean (Central) 856
2. Dale Mabry (PRP) 779*
3. Billy Hicks (Scott Co.) 776*
4. Ron Beavers (N. Hardin) 772*
5. Bobby Keith (Clay Co.) 767
6. Pearl Combs (Vicco, Hindman) 761
*active coach, totals through 1/19/12

The KHSAA list is not real accurate. In reality Hicks has a few more wins than Mabry but is still in third place. There is another long since retired coach from eastern Kentucky that is in second place. I will try to find his name. Mike Fields at the Lexington Herald Leader keeps a much more accurate list.
The coach that is in 2nd place is actually Russell Williamson from Inez high school with 793 wins. Like I said, the LHL does a much better job with these records. I have noticed several years that Hick's teams won 28 or 30 games and his win total came down in the KHSAA total. I think last year they had him with about 30 less wins than he actually had. I hope this has been corrected.
I know these two names go together like oil and water but shouldn't Dave Fraley and Rodney Woods be on this list? They both have over 700 wins,
Captain Backdoor Wrote:I know these two names go together like oil and water but shouldn't Dave Fraley and Rodney Woods be on this list? They both have over 700 wins,

The KHSAA has Fraley with 664 and Woods with 535 or something.
I guess you could say Coach Hicks move to Scott Co. was a good one.
Mountain Wrote:I guess you could say Coach Hicks move to Scott Co. was a good one.

It was a great move. At the time I thought it was a bad move. In the early 90s Hicks' Corbin teams were top-10 teams in the state and Scott County was mediocre to good. My thoughts were "why leave such a good thing". Hicks was winning 25-30 games per year at Corbin, had won 23-26 at Harlan and won 20 his last year at Evarts. I think he was both Courier-Journal and Herald-Leader coach of the year his last year at Corbin.
Corbins biggest mistake ever was letting Hicks slip away.
He had that program in a position where it was a top 10 team in the state and even creat a mr basketball from there.
When he left, his mr basketball went with him, and since then corbin hasnt been state competetive only district and region.
rojas Wrote:The KHSAA has Fraley with 664 and Woods with 535 or something.

I'm like Captain Backdoor I thought Woods and Fraley had more wins than that....guess not!
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Corbins biggest mistake ever was letting Hicks slip away.
He had that program in a position where it was a top 10 team in the state and even creat a mr basketball from there.
When he left, his mr basketball went with him, and since then corbin hasnt been state competetive only district and region.

The mister basketball you are referring to didn't actually go with Hicks. Hicks left Corbin in 1994. The Jones family moved to Scott Co in 97. The online broadcast of the Toyota Classic announced that Hicks had 797 wins.
^
I know this, but what other reason did they move to Scott County other than to play for Hicks?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
I know this, but what other reason did they move to Scott County other than to play for Hicks?

His father, Rick senior, lost his job in Corbin. He had been doing odd jobs. He had applied at Toyota 2 years earlier when he first lost his job in Corbin. At that time, it took 2 years to get through the system at Toyota. At first Rick thought he could commute to Corbin from Georgetown, but quickly learned it was too far. In the end, I think it worked out pretty well for everyone, except Corbin. I know the family fairly well.
It's being reported on another message board that Hicks won his 800th game Tuesday night at Franklin County.