Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Revisiting the 2009 NBA Draft
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Experts always say that someone cannot be called a true bust or a true success until at least 3 years have passed. With the way NBA players are beginning to come out a dominate in their 1st or 2nd year, I believe it is very safe to say three seasons can tell the story.

(points, boards, assists or blocks, steals)

#1 Blake Griffin.
Career: 22, 12, 4 assists
Perennial All-Star

#2 Hasheem Thabeet
Career: 2, 3 1 block
BUST!

#3 James Harden
Career: 13, 3, 3, 1
Just keeps getting better. Season PPG average went from 9 to 12 to 17 so far this season. Probably needs one more season to see full potential.
Thus far, great pick.

#4 Tyreke Evans
Career: 18, 5, 5, 2
One of the greatest rookie seasons of all time, was hurt for much of his second season and has come back to that same form this season. Scoring has went down to 18 PPG but since rookie season the Kings have added Cousins and Thornton who can score as well.

#5 Ricky Rubio
Career: 11, 4, 8, 2
Did not come over until this season. So far, looks very good. Like Harden, one of those players that needs another season to see full potential.

#6 Jonny Flynn
Career: 9, 2, 4, 1
Averaged much less than that this season in Houston.

#7 Stephen Curry
Career: 18, 4, 6, 2
Good player. Many thought the scoring would be higher. Still a good player that was hurt much of this past season.

#8 Jordan Hill
Career: 5, 4
BUST!

#9 DeMar DeRozan
Career: 14, 3, 2, 1
Decent player, averaging 14 PPG this season on an improved Raptors team showing signs of good play. To be labeled as a scorer, those numbers must improve.

#10 Brandon Jennings
Career: 17, 4, 5, 1
People had questions about him coming into the draft. They knew the talent was there, now the questions have been answered. Good player. Almost averaged 20 PPG this year. He is on the cusp of greatness.

#11 Terrence Williams
Career: 7, 4, 3
Big mouth, small game. Has accepted being a role player. That may help him in the long run. He will be a free agent because the Kings are probably not going to resign him.

#12 Gerald Henderson
Career: 10, 3, 1
The career numbers are bad but this season he is averaging 14, 5 and 2. Maybe he will not be a bust after all. He has got much better on the Bobcats.

#13 Tyler Hansbrough
Career: 10, 5, 1, 1
Make your own assessment of him. I think the numbers are bad for him, but at #13 being a double-digit scorer on a good team makes his value debatable.

#14 Earl Clark
Career: 3, 2
BUST!

#15 Austin Daye
Career: 6, 3, 1
BUST!
Advice to NBA GM's: DO NOT DRAFT PLAYERS FROM GONZAGA! Sorry Zaga_fan Wink

#16 James Johnson
Career: 7, 2, 1
As of right now....BUST! However, he has gotten better each season and has gotten more playing time each season. Now he has been traded to the Kings and will be the starting SF for a team that desperately needs one. I will give him another season.

#17 Jrue Holiday
Career: 12, 5, 3, 1
What a steal! Has shown flashes of being a good scorer. Maybe I am overreacting but considering some of the players above him, maybe not.

#18 Ty Lawson
Career: 12, 3, 5, 1
The career numbers are low because of sitting behind Chauncey. Now that he is the bona-fide starter he averaged 16, 4 and 7 this past season. A steal at #18.

#19 Jeff Teague
Career: 7, 2, 3, 1
Bad career numbers. However, averaged 13, 2, and 5 this past season. The book is yet to close on his status as bust or good pick. Looks to be a good pick.

#20 Eric Maynor
Career: 5, 2, 3, 1
Many will argue it, but I still say BUST!

#21 Darren Collison
Career: 12, 3, 5, 1
Considering where he was taken, good pick.

#22 Victor Claver
Was drafted by the Trailblazers but chose not to play in the NBA. Is still playing in Spain. With a 2nd round pick it is okay to lose one to Europe, BUT a first round pick is TOUGH to lose.

#23 Omri Casspi
Career: 9, 4, 1, 1
Played much better for the Kings, but now with the Cavaliers his production slipped.

#24 Byron Mullens
Career: 7, 4
Was terrible until traded to the Bobcats. At one point last season, he averaged 13 and 5. He finished with 9 and 5. Book is yet to be written on Mullens, but he will probably not pan out.

#25 Rodrigue Beaubois
Career: 8, 2, 2
BUST!

#26 Taj Gibson
Career: 8, 6, 1
Good role player.

#27 DeMarre Carroll
Career: 3, 2
BUST!

#28 Wayne Ellington
Career: 6, 2, 1
What a waste of a great shooter. Had wonderful form and great promise.

#29 Toney Douglas
Career: 9, 2, 3, 1
Okay numbers for this position.

#30 Christian Eyenga
Career: 7, 3, 1
Has played 1 minute for the Cavaliers this season. Pretty safe to say it....BUST!

Notable 2nd Round players:

#37 DeJuan Blair
This past season he averaged 10, 6, 1, 1. Great pickup for a 2nd rounder.

#43 Marcus Thornton
Since putting on a Kings uniform has been averaging 21, 4, and 3. Can you say SUPER STEAL!
What say you? Agree? Disagree?
Two legitimate All-Stars in Griffin and Evans. The rest have not stepped up into All-Star caliber yet. Your analysis are pretty accurate. Watch for Rubio to become the replacement for Steve Nash before the end of this season when it comes to one of the most exciting Caucasian NBA players
^ Agreed. Solid list!
I will go back and analyze more drafts. If anyone has a request, post it here. Whether it is NBA or NFL, I love analyzing both.
Has there been a draft since 2005 up to 2010 that has not been a BUST? Those drafts have produced very few superstars, maybe 2007 as the lone exception.
2006 was all-time bad. Especially with Brandon Roy retiring due to injuries.
^ Yes, it was BAD! 2005 not much better
2008 was a good draft considering the context of drafts around it, but not great.
I think you did an excellent job analyzing these picks. Great work!
Good post LWC.
Its fun looking at stuff like this.
I do mock nfl redrafts, id like to see a mock 2003 nba redraft.
1996 NBA Draft was IMO the best.
I know he's not on the list, but what in the world happened to Brandon Knight? I haven't heard his name since the draft..is he doing ANYTHING in Detroit??
vundy33 Wrote:I know he's not on the list, but what in the world happened to Brandon Knight? I haven't heard his name since the draft..is he doing ANYTHING in Detroit??

30 Min
12 PPG
3.7 REB
3 AST
Stardust Wrote:30 Min
12 PPG
3.7 REB
3 AST

Decent...just surprised I hadn't heard or seen anything about him on ESPN or any of the UK sites I'm on.
^Knight started really slow, if I remember correctly.
I figured after another NBA season, making these players have potentially 3 full seasons, is enough to determine their NBA worth.
Updated the original post.
Only one player from this draft has made an All-Star game. Not just being a homer, but I seriously believe that Marcus Thornton and/or Tyreke Evans will make an All-Star game in addition to Blake Griffin.