Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: (9) Kentucky 66 - (24) South Carolina 58 (Women's Basketball)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final

Kentucky improves to 16-2 overall and 5-0 in the SEC for the first time ever with back to back wins over top 25 teams. Their next game is Thursday at 16th ranked Georgia.
COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Kelya Snowden scored 15 points to lead No. 9 Kentucky to a 66-58 win over No. 24 South Carolina on Sunday.

The Wildcats (16-2, 5-0 Southeastern) came in as the SEC's leading offense, but were held to 15 below their average by the league's best defense. Still, the 66 points were the most the Gamecocks have given up all season.

Kentucky showed it can play defense too, forcing 28 turnovers and holding South Carolina (14-4, 3-2) to just three fields goals over 10 minutes after the Gamecocks took a 45-36 lead with 11 minutes to go in the game.

The Wildcats' 5-0 SEC start is their best ever and they are now alone atop the SEC and nearly halfway to matching their team-best 11 SEC wins achieved each of the last two seasons.

Kentucky also beat a ranked SEC team on the road for just the third time in the past decade.

The Gamecocks, ranked for the first time in nine years, appeared to be ready to knock down another wall and beat a top 10 team for the first time since knocking off sixth-ranked Vanderbilt in January 2002. Kentucky had a three-game losing streak in Columbia, and South Carolina led by nine with 11 minutes to go after Aleighsa Welch hit a free throw.

But Kentucky scored the next 11 points. Kastine Evans' 3-pointer -- Kentucky's first of the game -- tied things at 45, then Azia Bishop's short jumper put Kentucky ahead for the first time in the second half at 47-45 with 6:52 to go.

Sancheon White buried a 3 to give the Gamecocks the lead briefly, but Snowden answered with a jumper, and the Wildcats would lead for the rest of the way.

Kentucky's two leading scorers coming in combined for just 11 points. A'dia Mathies scored eight and Bria Goss added three points. The Wildcats were just 2-of-13 on 3-pointers and were outrebounded 40-30.

But the Wildcats, tops in the SEC in turnover margin, forced South Carolina into 10 more turnovers. The Gamecocks also didn't help out themselves, making just 12 of 25 free throws.

Ieasia Walker led South Carolina with 14 points. La'Keisha Sutton scored 12 points and Welch added 11 points.

The Gamecocks lost twice this week and will likely tumble out of the top 25 after making into the poll this week for the first time since the end of the 2002-03 season. The Gamecocks made the NCAA tournament that year, but have not been back since.

http://espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=320152579
Really nice follow-up to the UT game
Gotta keep it going.
Hopefully another Tenn martin slip up dont happen.
If this team can stay consistent and win the sec an the sec tourney they might garner a number 1 seed.
we now have played 5 top 25 teams and have won 4 of them. We have two wins vs top 10 teams. By far we have had the hardest schedule out there. We almost beat Notre Dame at there place. Next year I wish we could play UCONN or Standford.
Two games on the road vs top 25 team will only get us more prepared as we get closer to March.
cougarpride08 Wrote:Two games on the road vs top 25 team will only get us more prepared as we get closer to March.

No doubt CP, this schedule has been incredible but more incredible is the record against these teams. I think I would have been happy with playing these road games close, but the wins is proof of just how good this team can be!
This will also help with recruiting.
Nice win UK!
I'm really proud of our girls...and I think I'm in love with Keyla Snowden. She can ball, she's beautiful, and she's got one of my favorite things included in her name.

I just wish more games were televised, or that I could easily find out where to watch them online. I'd be more than happy to support our ladies if I just knew how to watch them.