Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Best Belfry Team to NOT Win State
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After so many years of great football, Belfry has just 2 state titles. After I got to thinking, I wanted to see what you guys thought. I'll highlight the state runners up and there might be teams that didn't even get that far who were just as good.

1979: The ones who proved it could be done. Led by Greg Varney, who was injured for the final few games, the Pirates didn't lose until Joker Phillips and Franklin Simpson toppled them 33-0.

1985: Lost to Paducah Tilghman 29-14.

1986: Lost to Owensboro 14-0

2007: Beaten 27-17 by a Central team who no one knew what to expect. Led by Dustin May, the Pirates hung in all they could but eventually lost by after Central capitalized on turnovers.

2010: The little team that could, led by Trey Willis and Jeffree Pruitt the Pirates went just 6-4 in the regular season and got hot when it mattered, before being demolished 46-7 by a far superior Central team

2011: The one that got away, 9-1 regular season led by Trey Willis, and a stiff group of 4 linebackers, The Pirates lost 15-14 on a heartbreaking pass that could not have been more perfect.

Let's it hear it, Pirates, who's the best Belfry team of all time excluding 2003/2004.
Too young to remember the Pre-90's teams though I always heard the 85 team was the best of all-time.

As for the modern teams:

2007- Absolutely dominated en route to the Finals. Backfield of May, Lee, and Varney with a talented QB in Elkins. Very good defense anchored by May, Phillip Hickman, and Charlie Dotson. Pirates I still believe were the best team in 3A that year and overlooked a Central team that JCHS (who Belfry beat fairly easily) smacked earlier in the season. Pirates were doomed by a Pick 6 at the end of the Half and were driving for the game winning TD in the redzone when they fumbled. Central tacked on a TD while the Pirates played for a strip in desperation.

That Central team had 4 players who earned BCS scholarships.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Too young to remember the Pre-90's teams though I always heard the 85 team was the best of all-time.

As for the modern teams:

2007- Absolutely dominated en route to the Finals. Backfield of May, Lee, and Varney with a talented QB in Elkins. Very good defense anchored by May, Phillip Hickman, and Charlie Dotson. Pirates I still believe were the best team in 3A that year and overlooked a Central team that JCHS (who Belfry beat fairly easily) smacked earlier in the season. Pirates were doomed by a Pick 6 at the end of the Half and were driving for the game winning TD in the redzone when they fumbled. Central tacked on a TD while the Pirates played for a strip in desperation.

Cobble, Wilson, Patterson, Robinson, and Darrell Taylor ended up at WKU for a year or two. They're D1 also now.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Too young to remember the Pre-90's teams though I always heard the 85 team was the best of all-time.

As for the modern teams:

agree
After seeing them against us twice I would say this years Belfry team.
dawgs1 Wrote:After seeing them against us twice I would say this years Belfry team.

I considered that. 13-2 against a much tougher schedule than the 07 team.
My favorite was the 1988 (I believe) that lost to Highlands in semis. Duane Fransisco was QB.
hillbilly Wrote:My favorite was the 1988 (I believe) that lost to Highlands in semis. Duane Fransisco was QB.

That was '89 and Grady Moore was the QB.
I think I'd have to say the 2007 team for sure...
it was '87 and dwayne francisco was the qb
I liked the 05 team that was a butt twitch away from going to another state game. Lost to Russel at Russel in the semi's. Russel went on to win state. The 05 Belfry squad was loaded with talent and had speedster Matt Maynard. They played a very game Russel squad and came up short.
The 85 team was the best team I've ever seen come out of Belfry. Very unfortunate that Belfry had to face two 4A schools in back to back years... Belfry was definitely the best 3A SCHOOL IN THE STATE IN BOTH 85 AND 86.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:The 85 team was the best team I've ever seen come out of Belfry. Very unfortunate that Belfry had to face two 4A schools in back to back years... Belfry was definitely the best 3A SCHOOL IN THE STATE IN BOTH 85 AND 86.

I agree with this statement 100%.
piratesfreshman Wrote:it was '87 and dwayne francisco was the qb

Francisco was the qb in 85&86. I believe Paul Slater was the qb in 87, I know he was in 88.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:The 85 team was the best team I've ever seen come out of Belfry. Very unfortunate that Belfry had to face two 4A schools in back to back years... Belfry was definitely the best 3A SCHOOL IN THE STATE IN BOTH 85 AND 86.

I don't understand how the 3A title was between on 3A team and a 4A team. Paducah Tilman and Bowling Green were Both 3A teams as far as I know.
I was young in 85 and 86 but I would give the nod to the 86 team but to me the 89 that lost to Ft.Thomas in ot in the semi-finals was the best. I talked to Coach Haywood about a year ago and ask him these very question. He wouldn't endorse one more than the other, just that they were all similar, very yomen like. However, when i brought up the 89 team you could tell that was one he thought we could of had.
common sense Wrote:I don't understand how the 3A title was between on 3A team and a 4A team. Paducah Tilman and Bowling Green were Both 3A teams as far as I know.

In 85' Belfry faced Paducah Tilghman...who had played at 4A for years and requested a slide to 3A..and received it. Shortly after, they returned to 4A status. In 1986, Belfry faced Owensboro....who had played at 4A for years...requested a slide to 3A...yada, yada, yada.

While those teams played at the 3A level...I would never support the idea that they were "legitimate" 3A schools during those seasons.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:In 85' Belfry faced Paducah Tilghman...who had played at 4A for years and requested a slide to 3A..and received it. Shortly after, they returned to 4A status. In 1986, Belfry faced Owensboro....who had played at 4A for years...requested a slide to 3A...yada, yada, yada.

While those teams played at the 3A level...I would never support the idea that they were "legitimate" 3A schools during those seasons.

I had not heard that before but that's a shame. I got that 86 championship opponent incorrect thanks for the correction. I remember the 85 team going to a heavily favorite Newport in the semi-finals and putting it all over them. The 86 semi-final was Danville at Vipperman. Good memories
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:In 85' Belfry faced Paducah Tilghman...who had played at 4A for years and requested a slide to 3A..and received it. Shortly after, they returned to 4A status. In 1986, Belfry faced Owensboro....who had played at 4A for years...requested a slide to 3A...yada, yada, yada.

Schools were not allowed to "slide" down a class. The only time they could move down was if enrollment changes allowed them to do so. Don't use that as some sort of excuse for those state title losses it demeans the Belfry team and the two you mentioned.

FYI: Tilghman has not been in 4A since the time before that. They have played 3A ever since the move down where their enrollment placed them. They played in 3A State Title games in '85, '87,'88, '89, '92.

Owensboro likewise continued to play in 3A and didn't move back.

You should really research before making false claims like that. :lame:
Hatz Wrote:Schools were not allowed to "slide" down a class. The only time they could move down was if enrollment changes allowed them to do so. Don't use that as some sort of excuse for those state title losses it demeans the Belfry team and the two you mentioned.

FYI: Tilghman has not been in 4A since the time before that. They have played 3A ever since the move down where their enrollment placed them. They played in 3A State Title games in '85, '87,'88, '89, '92.

Owensboro likewise continued to play in 3A and didn't move back.

You should really research before making false claims like that. :lame:

Owensboro hasn't been a 3A school for years. Don't know and don't care about PT. I guess that it was just "ironic" that each team won the 3A title...the same year they made the "move" to 3A.:biggrin:
I have to go with 07. VERY talented team!
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Owensboro hasn't been a 3A school for years. Don't know and don't care about PT. I guess that it was just "ironic" that each team won the 3A title...the same year they made the "move" to 3A.:biggrin:

Again, you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

PT stayed in 3A through the duration of the four class system. 1985 to 2006.

Owensboro stayed in 3A from 1985 to 2000 before reclassification once again moved them up to 4A. 15 years is hardly a short time in 3A nor is it "ironic."

It was all based on enrollment just like now. No team can play "DOWN" a class because they want to. Reclassification takes place every 2 years (maybe 4 though) and that is why you have a Mercer County scenario when they merged the year before reclassification.

No irony what so ever just excuses from your diatribe. Belfry had some excellent teams those seasons but they lost in the title games to legitimate teams. Confusedhh:
Hatz Wrote:Again, you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

PT stayed in 3A through the duration of the four class system. 1985 to 2006.

Owensboro stayed in 3A from 1985 to 2000 before reclassification once again moved them up to 4A. 15 years is hardly a short time in 3A nor is it "ironic."

It was all based on enrollment just like now. No team can play "DOWN" a class because they want to. Reclassification takes place every 2 years (maybe 4 though) and that is why you have a Mercer County scenario when they merged the year before reclassification.

No irony what so ever just excuses from your diatribe. Belfry had some excellent teams those seasons but they lost in the title games to legitimate teams. Confusedhh:

:Clap: