Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: The Last Great Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm looking forward to reading this...anybody else?

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Great-Game-Ke...487&sr=8-1
Troll....

you know that no one on here will even look at that lol
I might just read it.
zaga_fan Wrote:Troll....

you know that no one on here will even look at that lol

It's not meant to be a dig at the UK fans on the site... apologize if it's taken that way.
Should be a good book. I might read it but not read the last 5-10 pages
I cried after thiss game...
LCDAWGS19 Wrote:I'm looking forward to reading this...anybody else?

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Great-Game-Ke...487&sr=8-1

First of all, by DEFINITION, the greatest game ever can't be a
Kentucky loss, or a Duke win. But it was a great game, at least
for 44 minutes and 58 seconds. Don't know if I can stand to
read it or not. Maybe.

And in one sense it was the LAST game of a certain type.
It's doubtful that we will ever see another NCAA tnmt. basketball
game where such a sound, basketball savvy team Duke,
was nearly upset by an even MORE basketball savvy team
of far less talent.
Duke and Laettner can go to hell, along with this book...and Rick Pitino.
DSRfan Wrote:First of all, by DEFINITION, the greatest game ever can't be a
Kentucky loss, or a Duke win. But it was a great game, at least
for 44 minutes and 58 seconds. Don't know if I can stand to
read it or not. Maybe.

And in one sense it was the LAST game of a certain type.
It's doubtful that we will ever see another NCAA tnmt. basketball
game where such a sound, basketball savvy team Duke,
was nearly upset by an even MORE basketball savvy team
of far less talent.

Hey know only coach cal has talented teams. Coach k has never had talent. Only good players he coached to be great. Dont get it twisted.
Coach K is a cheater. He has been caught but the NCAA won't do a damn thing about it.
I ordered the book yesterday, it looks intriguing. Here's a preview I read for it:

"THE LAST GREAT GAME (reviewed on November 15, 2011)
Thorough chronicle of the legendary 1992 NCAA basketball tournament clash between Duke and Kentucky.
Duke’s last-second triumph over Kentucky in the 1992 NCAA East Regional is one of the most indelible moments in the history of college sports. Most college-basketball fans remember where they were when Duke’s Christian Laettner sank the miracle game-winning shot. Veteran ESPN columnist Wojciechowski (co-author, with Jerome Bettis: The Bus, 2008, etc.) tells the story of the game, and the two teams’ seasons leading up to it, with a newspaperman’s eye for detail. Arguably college basketball’s most iconic program, Kentucky, under new coach Rick Pitino, wasn’t even supposed to be a threat for the championship, just two seasons removed from crippling NCAA sanctions over widespread rules infractions. Duke, the defending NCAA champions, were on their way to becoming a modern dynasty under coach Mike Krzyzewski. The author explores the backgrounds and personalities of the opposing coaches and key players including, Kentucky’s freshman superstar Jamal Mashburn and Duke’s Grant Hill and Bobby Hurley. Wojciechowski neatly deals with the problem of a book-length exploration of a single game by retelling it twice, once from each team’s perspective. Though it obviously cannot compare with the excitement of watching the action, the book ably recaptures the energy of one of sport’s greatest moments. In Laettner, a villain to everyone except Duke fans, including some of his own teammates, the author finds a surprisingly complex protagonist, and the story’s most intriguing character.
A fitting, illuminating tribute to a game that many believe was the best ever."

http://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-review...me/#review
I had no idea what this was about until I heard the author talk about it yesterday on television. This is something that I will track down and read
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Coach K is a cheater. He has been caught but the NCAA won't do a damn thing about it.
Just curious as to how he is a cheater? I may not have heard about other instances, but the only thing I've ever heard on Coach K being a "cheater" would be the supposed illegal contacting, and scholarship offer, of Alex Poythress (current UK signee) during an AAU tournament in Orlando. Again, I'm not disagreeing with your accusation because I simply can't justify an argument here, but that's the only instance that I can think of him breaking the rules and it going public.
^
Not saying he did or didnt, but Corey Magette rings a bell considering they pretty much proved that.
As far as the Maggette situation goes, if I remember correctly, Corey Maggette received benefits from a guy named Piggie (you can see why it sticks out LOL). The information didn't go public until AFTER the Final Four run Duke had during Maggette's only season. Thus, Coach K didn't knowingly play a player who's amateur status had been lost, because it wasn't public knowledge at the time. Considering that, I wouldn't just flat out say that the man is a cheater as PTF did. I wasn't being rude or anything but that was a sincere question because outside of the Maggette case (which Coach K had nothing to do with) and the most recent Poythress incident, he wouldn't be considered a "cheater" in my book.
I have a great respect for Coach K, and I feel like his successes speak for themselves. He is a great ambassador to the sport, and is one of the sports all time greats, like him or not. I'm not a Duke fan of any kind, but I give credit where credit is due.
Pupaw Wrote:As far as the Maggette situation goes, if I remember correctly, Corey Maggette received benefits from a guy named Piggie (you can see why it sticks out LOL). The information didn't go public until AFTER the Final Four run Duke had during Maggette's only season. Thus, Coach K didn't knowingly play a player who's amateur status had been lost, because it wasn't public knowledge at the time. Considering that, I wouldn't just flat out say that the man is a cheater as PTF did. I wasn't being rude or anything but that was a sincere question because outside of the Maggette case (which Coach K had nothing to do with) and the most recent Poythress incident, he wouldn't be considered a "cheater" in my book.
I have a great respect for Coach K, and I feel like his successes speak for themselves. He is a great ambassador to the sport, and is one of the sports all time greats, like him or not. I'm not a Duke fan of any kind, but I give credit where credit is due.

He was a crack dealer as well lol
^
This explains everything
My question is who DOESN'T like some crack with their extra benefits?? I know I do..
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Coach K is a cheater. He has been caught but the NCAA won't do a damn thing about it.

so has Calipari, how do you explain what happened at UMass & Memphis
Read an excerpt (sp?) yesterday. The book looks very intriging. I wouldn't mind reading this book someday. Regardless of the outcome of that game, it was the best game I had ever seen. That 92 UK team was my favorite UK team of all time.
Jarons Wrote:Read an excerpt (sp?) yesterday. The book looks very intriging. I wouldn't mind reading this book someday. Regardless of the outcome of that game, it was the best game I had ever seen. That 92 UK team was my favorite UK team of all time.

Hey, you in J-Actionville yet? How you liking MarineCity?
vundy33 Wrote:Hey, you in J-Actionville yet? How you liking MarineCity?
Yes. I have been in Jacksonville since Dec. 27. Not a bad place, certain areas of town sucks to drive. Luckily everything is close to where I live and don't have to deal with that traffic all the time. It's really quiet without the wife and kids. I certainly like winters here much better than Kentucky.
Jarons Wrote:Yes. I have been in Jacksonville since Dec. 27. Not a bad place, certain areas of town sucks to drive. Luckily everything is close to where I live and don't have to deal with that traffic all the time. It's really quiet without the wife and kids. I certainly like winters here much better than Kentucky.

Yeah, but I really miss the snow being down here. Bad. And the UNC fans..ahh God. Better than TN fans though. If you make any military friends, you could get them to buy ya some groceries or whatever you need in the PX. Tax free...also, they have literally EVERY chick perfume...so much cheaper getting it there than the mall. Great place to get gifts for the wife.

If you were in Fayetteville, I'd hook you up man, haha.
vundy33 Wrote:Yeah, but I really miss the snow being down here. Bad. And the UNC fans..ahh God. Better than TN fans though. If you make any military friends, you could get them to buy ya some groceries or whatever you need in the PX. Tax free...also, they have literally EVERY chick perfume...so much cheaper getting it there than the mall. Great place to get gifts for the wife.

If you were in Fayetteville, I'd hook you up man, haha.
My dad is retired military and I am hoping to take advantage of PX and commisarry when they come to visit. I'm trying to talk my wife into working at the base hospital, would she be able to use the commissary and PX working on base as a civilian?
I'm pretty sure she'd be able too...regardless, the hospital would be a hell of a job for her. The benefits are great. I'm pretty sure she'd be able to use the PX though..you and the kids might even get too. She'd have a military ID of some sort..and if you were able to go, you and the kids would get ID's too. Gotta show ID when you purchase something in the PX or commissary is why..
toussaints Wrote:so has Calipari, how do you explain what happened at UMass & Memphis

Not getting in to the K stuff, but are you being sarcastic, or do you not
understand the Cal was COMPLETELY exonerated in both instances?
Not culpable in either instance.
DSRfan Wrote:Not getting in to the K stuff, but are you being sarcastic, or do you not
understand the Cal was COMPLETELY exonerated in both instances?
Not culpable in either instance.

im being sarcastic, heck cal jokes about it every now and then

by the way i've read some of this book. i would recommend this to uk fans if they enjoyed that 92 team. talks a great deal about the offseason and regular season.
toussaints Wrote:im being sarcastic, heck cal jokes about it every now and then

by the way i've read some of this book. i would recommend this to uk fans if they enjoyed that 92 team. talks a great deal about the offseason and regular season.

going to have to check it out. Good basketball books are few and far
between. One obscure one I'd recommend to anyone though is
ILLINKY. Weird title for a short book filled with short stories
about Illinois, IN and KY h.s. basketball.
DSRfan Wrote:going to have to check it out. Good basketball books are few and far
between
. One obscure one I'd recommend to anyone though is
ILLINKY. Weird title for a short book filled with short stories
about Illinois, IN and KY h.s. basketball.

Yeah, definitely.