Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Barry Larkin elected to Baseball Hall of Fame
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Larkin joins Bench, McPhee as HOFs who spent their entire career with Reds
[Image: bilde?Site=AB&Date=20120109&Category=SPT...-Hall-Fame]
Barry Larkin made 12 All-Star teams, won nine Silver Slugger awards, helped lead the Reds to a World Championship in 1990, won a Most Valuable Player award (1995) and was the first shortstop to make the 30-30 club, hitting 33 home runs and stealing 36 bases in 1996
nice
[Image: bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=AB&Date=20100106&Cat...h=465&q=60]
Barry Larkin leaps in celebration after the Reds sweep Oakland to win the 1990 World Series.
NEW YORK (AP) — Barry Larkin was the only player elected to baseball’s Hall of Fame on Monday.

Jack Morris was next with 382 votes (67 percent), missing by 48 votes on his 13th try but up sharply from 54 percent last year. The pitcher has two chances left on the BBWAA ballot.

Jeff Bagwell was third at 56 percent, followed by Lee Smith (51 percent), Tim Raines (49 percent), Alan Trammell (37 percent) and Edgar Martinez (37 percent).

Mark McGwire, 10th on the career home run list with 583, received 19.5 percent in his sixth try on the ballot, down from 19.8 percent last year and 23.7 percent in 2010 — a vote before he admitted using steroids and human growth hormone.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120...news|text|
How the voting shook down
573 votes cast, 430 needed

x-Barry Larkin 495 (86.4, Jack Morris 382 (66.7%), Jeff Bagwell 321 (56.0%), Lee Smith 290 (50.6%), Tim Raines 279 (48.7%), Alan Trammell 211 (36.8%), Edgar Martinez 209 (36.5%), Fred McGriff 137 (23.9%), Larry Walker 131 (22.9%), Mark McGwire 112 (19.5%), Don Mattingly 102 (17.8%), Dale Murphy 83 (14.5%), Rafael Palmeiro 72 (12.6%), Bernie Williams 55 (9.6%).

By receiving fewer than 30 votes (less than 5 percent), Juan Gonzalez 23 (4.0, Vinny Castilla 6 (1.0%), Tim Salmon 5 (0.9%), Bill Mueller 4 (0.7%), Brad Radke 2 (0.3%), Javy Lopez 1 (0.2%), Eric Young 1 (0.2%), Jeromy Burnitz 0, Brian Jordan 0, Terry Mulholland 0, Phil Nevin 0, Ruben Sierra 0, Tony Womack 0 are no longer eligible for election by the BBWAA
Stardust Wrote:NEW YORK (AP) — Barry Larkin was the only player elected to baseball’s Hall of Fame on Monday.

Jack Morris was next with 382 votes (67 percent), missing by 48 votes on his 13th try but up sharply from 54 percent last year. The pitcher has two chances left on the BBWAA ballot.

Jeff Bagwell was third at 56 percent, followed by Lee Smith (51 percent), Tim Raines (49 percent), Alan Trammell (37 percent) and Edgar Martinez (37 percent).

Mark McGwire, 10th on the career home run list with 583, received 19.5 percent in his sixth try on the ballot, down from 19.8 percent last year and 23.7 percent in 2010 — a vote before he admitted using steroids and human growth hormone.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120...news|text|

I'd like to see JacK Morris and Alan Trammell both get in. I got to see the 84 Tigers play in Detroit back in the day. They was an awesome team. Trammell and Whitaker were an awesome double play combo.

Glad to see Larkin get in though.
About time Larkin gets in. He was one of my favorite players of all time. He was one of the most underrated players to play the game.
How in the world did Edgar Martinez get 209 votes. No way he deserves to get any votes.
Hooray for Barry!
As an FYI, I played against Barry at least a half dozen times. Our final game against each other was a High School All-Star game for Seniors at Riverfront stadium. Barry was one of the nicest players "GREAT" players that I ever met. There were no false pretenses by him at all. I also worked with his wife Lisa at Blue Cross and Blue Shield, where she was a receptionist and the hottest woman in the building. Barry used to come and pick her up for lunch every day in his white BMW with Gold rims and trim.
Stardust Wrote:As an FYI, I played against Barry at least a half dozen times. Our final game against each other was a High School All-Star game for Seniors at Riverfront stadium. Barry was one of the nicest players "GREAT" players that I ever met. There were no false pretenses by him at all. I also worked with his wife Lisa at Blue Cross and Blue Shield, where she was a receptionist and the hottest woman in the building. Barry used to come and pick her up for lunch every day in his white BMW with Gold rims and trim.

That's a great story. I'm glad he's in.
Nice... About time.
Congrats Barry! Bout Time! Little known fact, Barry was recruited to play football at Michigan.
nannook Wrote:Congrats Barry! Bout Time! Little known fact, Barry was recruited to play football at Michigan.

I suddenly don't like him as much.
Barry was a great player in his day! Well deseved!