Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Why don't they include Playoff Stats as part of the regular season stats for players
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We have no issues with High School and College including their stats into the player and teams overall stats, why not in the Pro's?

Add 466 yards to Drew Brees 5476 season yardage = 6142 total yards
Ive always wondered the same thing...
I think they should include them...Players should be rewarded for their team success.
^ I like the idea.
Stardust Wrote:We have no issues with High School and College including their stats into the player and teams overall stats, why not in the Pro's?

Add 466 yards to Drew Brees 5476 season yardage = 6142 total yards
5476+466=5942 not 6142
^
lol, he was using that typical Northern KY math...
^lol.

I don't like including them into regular season stats.
Jarons Wrote:5476+466=5942 not 6142

No, it's playoffs, you wouldn't get to count all of them....
Because it's not part of the regular season? It still counts toward their career totals, correct? It makes sense, there aren't first round byes in college and everyone makes the playoffs in high school, at least they do here. What if a QB on the 1 seed AFC team and the QB on the 3 seed NFC team are both chasing the season passing yardage record, they both get to the SB, and the 3 seed NFC QB gets the record by just a hundred yards or so. Should his record hold as much weight because his team had a worse regular season and thus played more games?
^ I'm not sure I follow you Ro-Shambo. In pro sports, no playoff stats go towards a players in-season or total stats. All playoff stats are kept separate.

Not sure what you mean for first round byes. This thread is not just for football, but all sports. But, to keep it at football, for Division 1A, not every team qualifies for a Bowl game, yet, a team like Alabama's players get to add four more games to their stat totals for a career. In all other divisions of NCAA football, the stats get added, but not every team makes the playoffs and their are byes in these divisions. But for Basketball, Baseball, etc, college and High School athletes add to their total career and annual stats by getting to play these extra games.

In High School, we had two players compete for the all-time rushing title. It would up being close because one teams player got the opportunity to play in the state finals virtually every year he was there. Had the stats only ended with the 10 regular season games that all teams across the state are allowed to schedule, the record would not have been close.
Its because not all the teams are in the playoffs
But they do split up records between FCS and FBS. I guess my point was that in high school, at least in Kentucky, every player has the opportunity to play 15 games. But NFL teams aren't guaranteed the opportunity to play the maximum number of games possible because of the first round byes. They could count playoff stats for regular season and simply list # of games played, but I can see why they don't.