Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Baseball Forum: Give us your ideas?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Baseball seems to be one of the forums that gets little love. Strikeout King and myself have a passion for this thread, but struggle in finding the right things to generate interest. As we get closer to this season (less than 40 days from tryouts) what do you want to see? What items of interest will help us grow interest.

SK will be developing a "pick-em" thread to try and spark interest and get a broader knowledge of the states teams on our site.

OTH has been fantastic in finding interesting information, such as the new bat rules that go into effect.

I'll be at next weeks KHBSCA annual conference and will bring back anything that I here of interest.

Give us ideas and we will help you make this forum better than any other in the state.

Thx. SD & SK
Baseball isnt a very popular sport here in KY. Most players, students, and fans are more into football and basketball. Thats the way its been ever since I moved here and I dont see it changing anytime soon. Hopefully somthing will come about to bring not only more fans to this forum but to the game itself state wide. I would love to see KY HS Baseball become as popular to our states citizens as it is in comparison to the likes of Texas, Arizona, California, Florida or Georgia. Difference between our state and those though; weather.
Aldric Perfidus Wrote:Baseball isnt a very popular sport here in KY. Most players, students, and fans are more into football and basketball. Thats the way its been ever since I moved here and I dont see it changing anytime soon. Hopefully somthing will come about to bring not only more fans to this forum but to the game itself state wide. I would love to see KY HS Baseball become as popular to our states citizens as it is in comparison to the likes of Texas, Arizona, California, Florida or Georgia. Difference between our state and those though; weather.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with this and I mean no disrespect at all. it has been my experience that KY has been more a baseball state than anything else. I think there are much more travel teams, Legion, ect. than all AAU hoops or football teams that compete year round than baseball. Look at all the different championship teams in KY in the summer that have beat some teams in different tournaments across the country and regionally like Georgia or Tennessee or Carolinas. KY is a huge baseball state and the proof is in the draft or the amount of tournaments held in KY.
TigerBlues Wrote:I'm sorry but I have to disagree with this and I mean no disrespect at all. it has been my experience that KY has been more a baseball state than anything else. I think there are much more travel teams, Legion, ect. than all AAU hoops or football teams that compete year round than baseball. Look at all the different championship teams in KY in the summer that have beat some teams in different tournaments across the country and regionally like Georgia or Tennessee or Carolinas. KY is a huge baseball state and the proof is in the draft or the amount of tournaments held in KY.

I agree and disagree with this, aswell with no disrespect. In the aspect of players being drafted and summer baseball I agree with you. But remember, baseball has 100 and something rounds in their MLB draft each year. Pure raw baseball talent has a great chance of going in one of those round. When it comes to hitting off of, or throwing 95+ mph fastballs it doesnt matter if your doing it at NCAA D1, 2, 3, NAIA, JUCO, or High School. Baseball is the most balanced sport there is when it comes to level of competion. Players can make the pros from any level of play.

However, your chances of making it to the NBA in one of these ways of making it to MLB is very uncommon. Rather 100 something rounds, the NBA only has 2! How many players per year are drafted to the NBA that are not major NCAA D1 players, or over seas professional stars? Answer: Very few.

The Football aspect however just isnt possible to do year round. Yes players can do weight training, drills, etc. But the human body just physically cant take football punishment on it year round in the sport. Hence the NFL doesnt even play a 20 game regular season.

Maybe not every high school in KY, but I would be willing to bet that way over half of them have a significant difference in fan support in baseball compared to football and basketball. Ive been to football games in this state where that particular host school would have to play 2 weeks of home baseball games just to amount the number of fans that the football team had for one friday night.
Both of you have very good points, but KY like it or not, has more go professional or to the collegiate levels IMO than the other sports. Baseball is a sport where you have to be talented to excel, and the thing with baseball is alot of good players aren't playing for major D1 schools. Alot of them play for the smaller D1 or D2 schools, etc. That's what I like about baseball.

Things I would like to see on the forum:
1.) Possibly news about the regions best team(s)/player(s).
2.) Threads about the top teams in the state, everyones rankings and big games coming up.
3.) Any news about changes in the game like the news about the bats by OTH.

These would be greatly appreciated if possible.
As SD Said, Baseball is mine and his favorite sport.

If your interesting in participating in the Baseball and/or Softball Pick'em (I'll be in Both) there is a thread on that, So if you can go and just leave a reply with "I'm in" or "Sure" something to that nature so I can get the scoring sheet listed. It will be listed Alphabetically and I need to know who all is playing. New Comers are more than welcome to play even if the season as already started.

Most teams will be starting the season in around 60 days.

If you need anything feel free to shoot Me, SD or Offthehook a PM and we will try and help you with what you need help with

Thx SK, SD and Offthehook
Just look at the crowd at games.

The biggest game in the 15th region, Pikeville vs. Lawrence County in 2011 had the attendance of a below average basketball game and way lower than almost any football game.

The forum has nothing wrong with it, there just is not a high level of high school or college baseball in America. It is just how it is. I am more passionate about HS baseball than anything, but a lot of people just do not have enough interest to A.) Go out to games and espcially B.) Post about it on the internet.

Having said that, cannot wait to discuss some baseball here in a couple of months!
I would love to see this fourm get more attention! To be honest this is the fourm I look at the most and visit! I would like to see more info about mountain teams be talked about!!

Just little over a month away till season starts! See you all on the field!!!
Great posts guys, this is a great start.
H.S. Baseball games are 5-6 nights a week, compared to varsity football only 1, and basketball 2, maybe 3.

Typically football is Friday night, it's convenient, and you can plan the rest of your weekend around it. Baseball in Kentucky starts Feb. 15th, games start in March...so like now, it could be 60 degrees or spitting snow from day to day. Hitting a round baseball traveling 90+ mph with a round bat squarely is still the toughest thing to do in sports.

Baseball is the thinking man's game. Those that appreciate the game within the game, enjoy and love baseball (i.e. bunt or steal, intentionally walk a good batter or pitch to him, play your middle infield back or keep them in early, etc.). You can second and third guess every call a coach makes on defense and offense. That's why it's the greatest game on earth.

To me comparing baseball to other sports is like comparing chess to checkers. Most kids don't learn the game in Little League...and once they get to the next level with a quality coach they don't enjoy it as much, because they can no longer just grip it and rip it hitting (they have to learn to bunt, hit to the right side), pitchers now have to slide step to control the running game, change speeds, and locate pitches --- not just rare back and throw it by the hitter.

Raw athleticism will get you a long way in basketball and football...but a 5' nothing caucasion that is fundamentally sound and understands the game can compete against anyone in baseball.
Aldric Perfidus Wrote:I agree and disagree with this, aswell with no disrespect. In the aspect of players being drafted and summer baseball I agree with you. But remember, baseball has 100 and something rounds in their MLB draft each year. Pure raw baseball talent has a great chance of going in one of those round. When it comes to hitting off of, or throwing 95+ mph fastballs it doesnt matter if your doing it at NCAA D1, 2, 3, NAIA, JUCO, or High School. Baseball is the most balanced sport there is when it comes to level of competion. Players can make the pros from any level of play.

However, your chances of making it to the NBA in one of these ways of making it to MLB is very uncommon. Rather 100 something rounds, the NBA only has 2! How many players per year are drafted to the NBA that are not major NCAA D1 players, or over seas professional stars? Answer: Very few.

The Football aspect however just isnt possible to do year round. Yes players can do weight training, drills, etc. But the human body just physically cant take football punishment on it year round in the sport. Hence the NFL doesnt even play a 20 game regular season.

Maybe not every high school in KY, but I would be willing to bet that way over half of them have a significant difference in fan support in baseball compared to football and basketball. Ive been to football games in this state where that particular host school would have to play 2 weeks of home baseball games just to amount the number of fans that the football team had for one friday night.

Actually there are 50.
Bob Seger Wrote:Actually there are 50.

I stand corrected :Thumbs:

My point still remains though:Cheerlead
I personally think baseball is the number #1 sport in Kentucky. I agree that basketball and football get more notoriety.As far as baseball, AAU teams are now forming as early as 6 yrs old around the state. Last year, I saw advertised a number of area's holding tee ball tournaments for 5 yrs. old.

Personally, I would like to see more:
Team capsules: Top
Regional Capsules- Top team(s) and player(s)
Regional and District info sites

Top AAU and Legion teams-18 an under
Top AAU coaches and teams...information on teams..how to tryout

Top Showcases put on by colleges
Differences in scholarships...D1,D2,D3,NAIA,JUCO
^ Great stuff. I really like the ideas about the Regions and the Summer teams
highlands Wrote:I personally think baseball is the number #1 sport in Kentucky. I agree that basketball and football get more notoriety.As far as baseball, AAU teams are now forming as early as 6 yrs old around the state. Last year, I saw advertised a number of area's holding tee ball tournaments for 5 yrs. old.

Personally, I would like to see more:
Team capsules: Top

You are right on highlands, without question it is the number 1 sport and has been for a long time.
highlands Wrote:Regional Capsules- Top team(s) and player(s)

Top AAU and Legion teams-18 an under Top AAU coaches and teams...information on teams..how to tryout

American Legion is 19u. They do a have junior 17u team though.
highlands Wrote:Regional Capsules- Top team(s) and player(s)

Top AAU and Legion teams-18 an under
Top AAU coaches and teams...information on teams..how to tryout

DIII schools do not offer athletic scholarships.
Bob Seger Wrote:Actually there are 50.

and the money for a late round draft pick might get your lunch while you wait on a release.
As much as I love baseball, I must respectfully disagree regarding the status of "The Game". Man I wish it was true. Youth baseball leagues have been popular for years. All the families from granny to little sister love to come to the ballpark to watch Johnny try and hit one off the T. In fact that is great but after little league things go south quickly. Travel to a High School game and see in some instances a hat being passed to pay the umps. A 5$ admit. might not pay the officials. I venture a guess that more people attend a JCHS Football game on a Friday night than all baseball games for the last 5+ years." UK Basketball" makes Basketball have the edge. If something has to be cut in high school, what do you think it will be? (1)The Game (2) Football/Basketball. The difference is a matter of revenue. Question: How do the college tuition grants for baseball compare to say Football,Basketball,Golf,Tennis or Bowling? PR for the Public.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:As much as I love baseball, I must respectfully disagree regarding the status of "The Game". Man I wish it was true. Youth baseball leagues have been popular for years. All the families from granny to little sister love to come to the ballpark to watch Johnny try and hit one off the T. In fact that is great but after little league things go south quickly. Travel to a High School game and see in some instances a hat being passed to pay the umps. A 5$ admit. might not pay the officials. I venture a guess that more people attend a JCHS Football game on a Friday night than all baseball games for the last 5+ years." UK Basketball" makes Basketball have the edge. If something has to be cut in high school, what do you think it will be? (1)The Game (2) Football/Basketball. The difference is a matter of revenue. Question: How do the college tuition grants for baseball compare to say Football,Basketball,Golf,Tennis or Bowling? PR for the Public.

Agreed Charlie. Whatever advances that has been made in travel type teams, the exact opposite has been experienced by other organized institutions that have been around for many decades. These travel squads have decimated such organizations as Little League, Babe Ruth and so on. In most 9-12 year old divisions I'll venture to say that enrollment is off probably 50% while these same leagues can no longer even support a Junior League, or a Senior League because they can't even scrape up enough players to field a single team, and many leagues have folded completely. The opportunities that once were offered to mutitudes of kids is becoming opportunities to just those kids whose parents are willing to shell out the big bucks.
One reason Little leagues are being replaced by travel teams is the level of play.Take any age level ( little league ) and put 15 players on a team, give each player 2 at-bats, play the field for 2 innings and play 15 games. Very tough for the young man to further his skills in this setting. More parents want to place their son in a place to succeed at a " higher level of play ".

Most serious minded young men have a desire to play college baseball and have a " dream " to play at the pro level at some capacity. That's why you are seeing more and more players in all age groups branch out to a higher level of play. Top notch coaching, coaches with HS or college experience and/or contacts, more intense practices,...ect. Nothing different than AAU basketball.

Not sure what you are talking about "pass the hat for umpires ".....been around the game for years and have never seen that. All HS and most college schools do fundraising for umpiring costs.
highlands Wrote:One reason Little leagues are being replaced by travel teams is the level of play.Take any age level ( little league ) and put 15 players on a team, give each player 2 at-bats, play the field for 2 innings and play 15 games. Very tough for the young man to further his skills in this setting. More parents want to place their son in a place to succeed at a " higher level of play ".

Most serious minded young men have a desire to play college baseball and have a " dream " to play at the pro level at some capacity. That's why you are seeing more and more players in all age groups branch out to a higher level of play. Top notch coaching, coaches with HS or college experience and/or contacts, more intense practices,...ect. Nothing different than AAU basketball.

Not sure what you are talking about "pass the hat for umpires ".....been around the game for years and have never seen that. All HS and most college schools do fundraising for umpiring costs.

highlands , you may be a tad disillusioned about what is really going on. I think you are guilty as being one who maybe has drank the "kool aide". I am very much aware of how things have progressed in each category. Been involved with travel teams for many years as well as Little League, Babe Ruth, Cal Ripkin, etc. I had one son even pitch a National Championship travel team game a few years ago. I have had two sons go through the college ranks and have successful college careers, get offered to play for the Big Blue, hear faint whispers of Mr. Baseball, and spend their day in the sun in front of the pro scouts as well, with a third one on the way. And I'll be honest with you, it's all just a tad over rated too. Somewhere along the way the innocence for the "Love of the Game" gets a little misplaced, and 99% of it can all be blamed on parents. It all becomes a business at a way too young of an age. Parents are putting way to much pressure on kids to perform at too high of a level every time they step on the field. Kids need to just enjoy the game, the comaraderie, and just be kids. I'm talking about even through the high school years too, because trust me, as even Stardust can tell you , it'll never the same after that. How do I know? Because I am as guilty as anyone. I had to learn it the hard way.

I agree that the level of play is better in a travel team situation. However you stated that because of travel teams the game is just growing and growing and growing. Nothing is farther from the truth. How can the bulk of kids enjoy the game, and how can it flourish when for the most part, for many there is no place for a lot of them to even play and learn the fundamentals along the way? Sooner or later it has to take a toll on the interest in the game. When was the last time you saw kids play a game of pickup baseball? (you ever watch the movie Sandlot?) I haven't seen that since I was a kid, and I am in my mid 50's. Kids just dont do that anymore. I think that Charlie Hustle can attest to what I am saying. It just aint like it used to be. Like it, or believe it or not, interest in the game as it once was is dying along the wayside. Perhaps you are just not old enough to realize it?
As an LCC fan and parent I am looking forward to this upcoming season. I had a look at our schedule yesterday and it is loaded with good quality competition throughout the season. I understand the lack of fans that attend games thoughout the season and that is just the way it has been and always will be. Not just in the mountain area but statewide. Even a real good competitive game just doesnt appeal to most sports fans other than family members of players or true Baseball fans. I feel like we have a wonderful baseball program at LCC due to how much dedication Coach Dean puts into caring for the field and the time he spends with our kids. LCC fans have high hopes for this season with mostly young players and hope to make a run at returning to STATE!
termite Wrote:As an LCC fan and parent I am looking forward to this upcoming season. I had a look at our schedule yesterday and it is loaded with good quality competition throughout the season. I understand the lack of fans that attend games thoughout the season and that is just the way it has been and always will be. Not just in the mountain area but statewide. Even a real good competitive game just doesnt appeal to most sports fans other than family members of players or true Baseball fans. I feel like we have a wonderful baseball program at LCC due to how much dedication Coach Dean puts into caring for the field and the time he spends with our kids. LCC fans have high hopes for this season with mostly young players and hope to make a run at returning to STATE!

Coach Dean, IMO is one of the top coaches in the state. I fully expect him to have another outstanding team and season once again this year.
Bob,

I DISAGREE with you whole heartedly...I also have had 2 son's play college baseball, played in front of pro scouts and recruited by the Big Blue and other D1's in the state. I have also coached HS baseball and High level AAU teams.

Yes, I have seen the Sandlot...agree that there aren't as many pickup baseball games as there were when we were kids.....but how pick up football games/basketball games do you see. More kids are involved today then when were we kids like it or not. There are more specialized instruction, camps, showcases, tournaments,games..ect that occupy kids times.

The National Championship Team your son played on would it have happened to be SE Lexington about 6-7 yrs ago?
As a parent with a child up and coming thru baseball ranks, I have found it difficult to find information about camps showcases etc.. Also try out times and dates for travel/aau teams. Any information that could be posted would be greatly appreciated. It seems as though there is no "general" information source and it is hunt and peck to find it.

That beinig said I did read the infromation on the new bats and it was very helpful. I might add that we purchased a rip-it and we are surprised. Our expectations was very low after hearing some of the news on the bbcor. Thanks to the administrators for having a venue where we can exchange information, ideas and occasionally snide remarks. lol
highlands Wrote:Bob,

I DISAGREE with you whole heartedly...I also have had 2 son's play college baseball, played in front of pro scouts and recruited by the Big Blue and other D1's in the state. I have also coached HS baseball and High level AAU teams.

Yes, I have seen the Sandlot...agree that there aren't as many pickup baseball games as there were when we were kids.....but how pick up football games/basketball games do you see. More kids are involved today then when were we kids like it or not. There are more specialized instruction, camps, showcases, tournaments,games..ect that occupy kids times.

The National Championship Team your son played on would it have happened to be SE Lexington about 6-7 yrs ago?

We'll just agree to disagree then. How's that? :biggrin:

There will always be opportunities for the select ones that do want to play and seek to advance their skillls. And yes there are more training opportunities than there used to be. In fact my youngest works out with 3 or 4 former professional players every week, but it is also not cheap. That's not what I'm getting at at all though. You do not seem to want to recognize all the kids who wont even give the game the time of day anymore, or the ones that have no place to even play if they wanted to. Basketball is still king in this state , regardless of the low talent level that were generally produce, and football is right up there with it. Heck, football may have even passed basketball now as far as fan interest and kid preference at this time. And now you have soccer as a sport of choice. I wouldn't be surprised if by now that even soccer has surpassed baseball as a preference. Nobody would love to see baseball as the preferred national past time anymore than I would. I am being realistic about it though. Just look out in the stands at every level of baseball game that's out there. Empty stands for the most part, or just look at the involvment that you see on this very board. The whole reason for this very thread is to try to pump up interest in a baseball forum that is very lacking in interest. It's all fine and dandy for those that are willing to shell out the bucks and do the travel stuff, but for those parents that cannot do that sort of thing( either cant afford it or are not able to travel), their kids are just left without any options for the most part. The game is being lost to the majority, IMO.

No actually he played on the National runner-up team. These were all high school aged kids. He played in another state on a very high profile travel team that had a few Kentucky players on it.. He pitched the championship game, but got a no-decision in it.
At least we agree to disagree!

There are less fans at a HS baseball game than football/basketball because it's played at 4 o'clock in the afternoon. That doesn't mean there's less interest in the game...a lot of activities for HS kids are going on during this time frame ( other students not attending games ). Several parents are still at work or picking up a second child or attending activity with a 3rd child. HS football games are played on Friday night at 7p....half to 3/4 of the fans are students who are socializing.

In a previous post you mentioned there aren't many kids playing out in the backyard ( baseball )....well you really don't see the basketball playgrounds full anymore either. Several houses in neighborhoods have basketball goals but they never played on...

I hope whoever is involved with this forum/board gets out the necessary information to generate interest in the game of baseball...

For all parents who have children playing the game of baseball: Please take the time to go to Spring Training in Florida/Arizona and spend a few days or a week ( if possible ). There are several sites that you can drive in 20-30 minutes apart. Go to practices ( early morning ), games are at 1 and 7...players are very accessible. I promise you will be hooked and attend many other Spring Trainings...
baseballfan Wrote:I would love to see this fourm get more attention! To be honest this is the fourm I look at the most and visit! I would like to see more info about mountain teams be talked about!!

Just little over a month away till season starts! See you all on the field!!!

This site is known as a mountain site. There needs to be more threads about regions and districts all over the state.
Pages: 1 2 3