Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ken McDonald out at Western Kentucky
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Western Kentucky University has fired head coach Ken McDonald after a tumultuous run.

McDonald was 67-49 in just over three seasons, including a 5-11 start this season.

He will be replaced by assistant Ray Harper on an interim basis.

Chad Bishop of the Bowling Green Daily News has the statement from WKU AD Ross Bjork:

I have recommended to President Gary Ransdell that Ken McDonald no longer serve as our head men’s basketball coach and he has agreed and supports my decision. President Ransdell and I met with Coach McDonald this morning to inform him of the decision, and then we met with and informed the entire men’s basketball staff.

I also met with our student-athletes and discussed the reasons for our conclusion told them that we are committed to all of them as students and athletes here at WKU. We owe them the ‘great program’ they signed up for. All of our student-athletes are the number one priority for WKU Athletics.

Here is more on Ray Harper:

Harper, who was hired by McDonald prior to the 2008-09 season, spent 12 seasons as head coach at Kentucky Wesleyan and Oklahoma City University before coming to WKU. Compiling a record of 342-63 for an .844 winning percentage, Harper won four NCAA Division II national championships while reaching the title game on five other occasions.

Harper was at the helm at KWC when that program was found in an NCAA investigation to have used two ineligible players during the 2002-03 season. Wesleyan was forced to vacate its 2003 Great Lakes Valley Conference championship and was placed on three years' probation. Harper was not named specifically in the NCAA report.

http://www.allkyhoops.com/2012/01/breaki...stern.html