Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: PuLASKI CO. 58 SOMERSET 54
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final
Kody Johnson did not play for Pulaski. So good win for the Maroons.

Somerset can suprise some people by tournament time.
SHS 11 10 16 17 - 54
PC 11 14 17 16 - 58

SOMERSET (7-4): Cheuvront 19, Lange 11, Gordon 9, Weddle 6, Dishman 5, Megargel 4.

PULASKI COUNTY (8-7): Gover 22, Goins 12, Burton 11, Smith 6, S. Laign 5, N. Laign 2.
Nice win for the Maroons without Kody Johnson in the line-up. Cam Cheuvront played extremely well for Somerset tonight.
Also, prior to the game, Pulaski juniors Kody Johnson and Taylor over were each awarded their 1,000-point club basketball. Congrats to both!
January 2, 2012
Pulaski holds off Jumpers, 58-54
Maroons’ Taylor Gover scores 22 points in Kody Johnson’s absence

By MICHAEL CHILDERS, CJ Correspondent
Commonwealth Journal

Somerset — Even without junior Kody Johnson in the line-up, the Pulaski County Maroons were able to do just enough to down cross-town rival Somerset by a final tally of 58-54 last night at PC Gym.

With Johnson on the sidelines due to a knee injury, Al Gover and company dodged a pesky Somerset Briar Jumper team to pick-up the 4-point victory to move to one game over .500 at 8-7. Somerset, meanwhile, fell to 7-4 with the setback to their 47th District rival.

Gover was pleased with that way his squad played without one of their best players on the floor.

“I thought we played pretty well,” began the Maroon hoops coach. “I thought we had some kids step-up that hadn’t been in those roles before with Johnson out. I thought the kids, for the most part, had to play more minutes than usual. I thought that everybody who stepped on the court gave the effort that we were looking for.”

Somerset head coach Don Daniel knows the Johnson was out, but he is still happy with the way the Jumpers went toe-to-toe with one of the top teams in the entire 12th Region in Pulaski.

“It’s one of those things where you had 2 good teams going at it; I consider us a good basketball team,” explained the Somerset Briar Jumper coach. “I’m proud of my boys, and I’m proud enough to say that we are a pretty good basketball team.”

“I think we are wise enough to know that when you take someone out of the line-up of the caliber as Kody (Johnson), that’s a totally different (Pulaski) club…just as much as it is when you take Alex Lange off the floor for us. We won a district game without him in the line-up.”

After trailing since the early minutes of the second quarter, the Jumpers made an attempt at a comeback in the fourth and final quarter. In fact, Somerset outscored the Maroons 17-16 in the fourth period.

Senior Alex Lange knocked down a jump shot in the opening minute of the final frame, cutting Pulaski’s lead to a trio of points at 42-39. After Lange’s basket, Maroon freshman Blake Burton knocked down a pair of free-throws to put Pulaski out front, 44-39, with 6:07 remaining in the contest.

The Jumpers would, once again, cut Pulaski’s lead to 3 points, as sophomore Cam Cheuvront tallied 2 points at the charity stripe to make the score, 44-41.

With 4:43 left in the ballgame, junior Matt Smith nailed a 3-pointer from the corner to put the Maroons up 48-41. Somerset would take a timeout after the big shot from Smith.

Out of the timeout, the Jumpers would go on a 6-1 run to cut the Maroons’ lead to a pair of points at 49-47. With a floater from sophomore Ryan Dishman, along with 4 made free-throws from Cheuvront, Somerset got themselves right back into the ballgame with 2:17 left to play.

On the next trip down the floor, Gover came up with an ‘old-fashioned’ 3-point play to give the Maroons some breathing room at 52-47.

With a free-throw from senior Nate Laign, the Maroons grabbed a 53-47 advantage.

Sophomore Matt Gordon would go 2-of-2 from the charity stripe, lessening the Maroons’ lead to 53-49.

After Gover and Cheuvront both went 2-of-2 from the free-throw line, the margin remained at 4 points.

Gover would knock down another free-throw with 9 seconds left, giving the Maroons a 56-51 lead. On the following possession, Lange came down the floor and nailed a trifecta that allowed the Jumpers to get within 2 points at 56-54 with 4 seconds left.

However, Gover would get fouled and make both free-throws to clinch the 58-54 win.

“We snuck out with a win,” said Gover. “Somerset is a much-improved team. They are playing pretty well, so coming out with a win is always good.”

Daniel was happy with the Jumpers’ defensive effort in the 4-point loss.

“Defensively, holding somebody in the 50s, you’ve got to be pretty happy with that,” stated the SHS coach. “I think the game came down to us not scoring enough. We felt we’re probably a better offensive team than we showed tonight.”

Somerset jumped out front to an early 4-0 lead in the opening frame with a pair of baskets from junior Ryan Weddle. The homestanding Maroons would then respond with a 7-0 run to take a 7-4 advantage. With consecutive jump shots from Gover and a 3-pointer from Burton, Pulaski grabbed a 3-point lead.

A trifecta from Cheuvront would tie the ballgame up at 7 apiece. At the end of the opening period, both teams were deadlocked at 11-11.

The Maroons opened the second period with a 6-0 run thanks to a pair of treys from Gover. The string of 6 unanswered points gave Pulaski a 17-11 lead.

Pulaski went into the locker room at the break trailing by 4 points at 25-21.

Both clubs traded baskets in the third stanza, as the Maroons outscored the Jumpers by 1 point at 17-16 in the 8-minute quarter. Heading into the fourth frame, Somerset trailed by 5 points at 42-37.

Gover led all scorers with 22 points, while junior Tyler Goins scored 12 points. Burton chimed in with 11 points. Laign pulled down a team-high 8 rebounds in the victory over Somerset.

Cheuvront led the charge for Somerset with a team-high 19 points, while going a perfect 10-of-10 from the charity stripe. Lange finished 11 points and 8 rebounds for the Jumpers.

Somerset (7-4) will host the Rockcastle County Rockets tonight at The Briar Patch.

The Maroons’ (8-7) next game will also be against the Rockets, as they will play the team from Mt. Vernon on Friday evening at PC Gym.

“We got Rockcastle County coming up on Friday, and we’re looking to a hard-fought game there, too,” concluded Gover.
I've seen more lively crowds at a funeral. Not a huge crowd on hand, but still should have been a lot louder in that place. I've been going to this rivalry game since back in the early 80s and that is by far the quietest crowd in the history of this rivalry. Not sure what the deal was but it wasn't good.
Weather, maybe? Just thinking out loud.
SWHS Fan Wrote:Weather, maybe? Just thinking out loud.
There was a nice crowd. Lower bowl almost full. Just no spirit from either side.
There was a lot of people there...Just no enthusiasm from either Pulaski or Somerset.