Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: (3) Kentucky 69 - (4) Louisville 62
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
:Cheerlead
Stardust Wrote:[Image: qbdU7.AuSt.79.jpg]

Man! That one just doesn't look right.

That's all we need is a Penn St or Syracuse scandle.

I would do captions but they would sure not be suitable for all audiences.
Stardust Wrote:[Image: 143vF3.AuSt.79.jpg]

Charles Hurt, reincarnated

[Image: 19821204Villanova2.jpg]
Difference in the game was rebounding. UK with 49 and UL with just 28.
Listened to it on the radio, IDK if all those fouls were legit, but it killed the flow of the game. Wish the officials would've let them just play.
Very intense game, great win. Home winning streak lives on.
How about Elisha Justice getting a few seconds on the court to close the 1st half. He did an excellent job defending his man.
Stardust Wrote:[Image: UFjnH.AuSt.79.jpg]Medal of Honor recipient, Marine Sgt. Dakota Meyer was the "Y" in the second half

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/12/31/20115...rylink=cpy

Yeah, get it Sgt!
Tough game. UK didn't shoot the ball well and turned it over way too much, but still got the win behind superior defence and free throws. This is what happens when you play hard and hit your free throws.

The officiating was bad for both ends. Never allowed either team to get into the flow of the game. I would say that allowed Louisville to keep the game close. I think had UK got the oppertunity to start pushing the ball it would have been a blow out. It was headed that way when UK got the 15 point lead, a run that was stopped due to fouls.

Good win for UK. Happy New Year.
Stardust Wrote:[Image: bNkG4.AuSt.79.jpg]
I may have to watch the replay but I am almost positive this wasn't called a foul.
Stardust Wrote:[Image: 17CGIi.AuSt.79.jpg]

^ This pic says it all. The guy changes games and he steps up when the pressure is at its highest.
Great pictures.
MKG 10 minutes before the game.

"Yeap, Im gonna make Louisville look stupid today"

Yeah he scored, and had 20 rebounds, and that is wonderful. But his defense is outstanding in every way if the whole team played D that hard we would have kept loserville in single digits. If I was Calipari I would start benching people until they play as hard as him.
Game Ball: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

-----

Good Thoughts:

- Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, I mean what more can you say than 24 points & 19 rebounds? Without him UK likely would have lost this game.

- Anthony Davis shot very good from the charity stripe at 12 for 13, 18 points, 10 rebounds, 6 blocks & 3 steals. Nice game.

- Terrence Jones is still not himself, his finger is clearly still bothering him. However he did grab 11 rebounds and had 3 steals, also played very, very good defense. He helped this team today.

- Marquis Teague had 5 assists and played very solid defense.

- Darius Miller grabbed 3 offensive rebounds and made some really crucial baskets.

- Twany Beckham only played 2 minutes in relief, but he made a really beautiful assist to Kyle Wiltjer.

- Free throw shooting was excellent today, especially from Doron Lamb & Anthony Davis.

- Rebounding, make no mistake Louisville is a excellent rebounding team and Kentucky absolutely dominated them in rebounding. Shows the effort UK had in this game.

- UK's defense, held Louisville to just 32% shooting.

-----

Not So Good Thoughts:

- 8 turnovers from Darius Miller...Ouch!

- 4 turnovers from Marquis Teague....again.

- Doron Lamb, other than his free throw shooting. I just felt that he didn't play very good. He only made one big shot, he got beat alot on defense, he also had 4 turnovers...just not his best game.

- Kyle Wiltjer played 15 minutes and only grabbed 2 rebounds. Kyle, you are 6'9. Get some rebounds!

- Terrence Jones shooting, I understand he has a reason with the bad finger....but it still stunk.

- Too many dumb fouls.
Stardust Wrote:[Image: YhLYf.AuSt.79.jpg]

Calipari- "Ive kicked your ass again Rick"
Pitino- "Damnit John, i have to smile"
This game showed why MKG is starting as i said he would before the season and why Millers ass is on the bench. The guy is to inconsistent.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:This game showed why MKG is starting as i said he would before the season and why Millers ass is on the bench. The guy is to inconsistent.
:Thumbs: Miller makes me mad on just about every play where he touches the ball.
I did not get the score right put I did pick UK by 7! I feel somewhat prows of myself. Congrats UK!
J-Rod Wrote:Game Ball: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

-----

Good Thoughts:

- Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, I mean what more can you say than 24 points & 19 rebounds? Without him UK likely would have lost this game.

- Anthony Davis shot very good from the charity stripe at 12 for 13, 18 points, 10 rebounds, 6 blocks & 3 steals. Nice game.

- Terrence Jones is still not himself, his finger is clearly still bothering him. However he did grab 11 rebounds and had 3 steals, also played very, very good defense. He helped this team today.

- Marquis Teague had 5 assists and played very solid defense.

- Darius Miller grabbed 3 offensive rebounds and made some really crucial baskets.

- Twany Beckham only played 2 minutes in relief, but he made a really beautiful assist to Kyle Wiltjer.

- Free throw shooting was excellent today, especially from Doron Lamb & Anthony Davis.

- Rebounding, make no mistake Louisville is a excellent rebounding team and Kentucky absolutely dominated them in rebounding. Shows the effort UK had in this game.

- UK's defense, held Louisville to just 32% shooting.

-----

Not So Good Thoughts:

- 8 turnovers from Darius Miller...Ouch!

- 4 turnovers from Marquis Teague....again.

- Doron Lamb, other than his free throw shooting. I just felt that he didn't play very good. He only made one big shot, he got beat alot on defense, he also had 4 turnovers...just not his best game.

- Kyle Wiltjer played 15 minutes and only grabbed 2 rebounds. Kyle, you are 6'9. Get some rebounds!

- Terrence Jones shooting, I understand he has a reason with the bad finger....but it still stunk.

- Too many dumb fouls.

All in 2nd half besides 2 rebounds and 1 block. I think..
TheRealVille Wrote::Thumbs: Miller makes me mad on just about every play where he touches the ball.

I'm guessing you said the same thing when he was named the SEC Tournament MVP last season too?
Real Badman Wrote:I'm guessing you said the same thing when he was named the SEC Tournament MVP last season too?

Well I think this is one of the very few things we have agreed on unless you're being a smarty pants..

But anyways - Yes this was not one of Miller's better games..
Kidd-G played outstanding..

T Jones sucked it up..

Let me tell you, if it wasn't for Davis getting into foul trouble in the 1st half this would have been an absolute beat down.
Forgot to mention.. UK was 28% shooting after the 1st half, which is terrible and not like them.

Maybe because a lot of bottled up emotions and feelings over our cross state rival?
^ I'll give credit where credit is due, the Cards played a defensive style that these Cats have yet seen. There were very few uncontested shots on both sides of the floor, thus the reason that both teams shot poorly. If you are a defensive coach, this game was fun to watch. Calipari in his postgame show talked about his kids not seeing a Zone like this (When the Ville switched to it), and they struggled figuring it out. This is something that we will see a lot of other SEC teams try for the rest of the season.
Real Badman Wrote:I'm guessing you said the same thing when he was named the SEC Tournament MVP last season too?

You just proved our point even further.
The guy can get the MVP in the SEC Tourney, and then get into the next game and have 3 pts. 1 rebound 2 assist and 4 fouls.
I honestly dont think he should be starting.
My thoughts on the game...

Likes for UK

1. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, enough said. His rebounding performance has to be one of the best of modern times. It's amazing that his performance still doesn't get him onto the top 10 in UK history for rebounds in a single game (nobody has had enough to get on that list since 1969) but it was really, really awesome. He always hustles and gives 110% effort on the floor. Also buried a couple of big outside shots.

2. Anthony Davis - made his typical great defensive plays. The best part - shot 12/13 from the line.

3. UK free throw shooting - Coach Calipari's teams have come under fire for their lack of ability to shoot free throws. However, free throws won the game for the team today.

4. Defense - We played a great game defensively. Guys knew their assignments very well.

Dislikes for UK

1. Terrence Jones - Played solid on the defensive end and rebounding, but I hate to see him struggle so bad offensively. Dropped three passes that resulted in turnovers, and had 3 or 4 shots blocked by a good UL interior defense. His hand may still be bothering him, but one can tell that Jones' poor play as of recent has affected him psychologically on the court.

2. Handling the press - Teague did a pretty solid job at times. He did have a few turnovers though, part of it being because sometimes the UK players would not run up to help him when he was under pressure. That resulted in a couple of turnovers off of the press.

3. Officiating - It seems like every time we play UL we get officials that like to call the little tick tack fouls. I think one reason that neither team really got into a rhythm was because if they did as much as breathe on the opponent, they would be called for a foul.

4. Moving the ball against the zone - I didn't think we took any off the wall shots like we have against that team in the past. However, I thought the guys were a bit intimidated by it, often times moving the ball around on the outside until the shot clock ran down.

For UL, I thought their defense overall was very good, but their interior defense was rock solid. Dieng has really developed into a nice player. Even with all the injuries, it still looks like they are going to be a tough out for anyone this year. As a previous poster mentioned, it was nice to see Elisha Justice get out there to play for a couple of minutes. He played good defense and gave it his all. Coach Pitino had to like that. Also, Smith had an amazing game that IMO kept Louisville in it. He is a good offensive threat, and it looks like for Louisville to win in March he will have to catch fire. Siva has improved some as well, particularly with his decision making when he goes into the paint.

All in all, this was a very good win for UK. Even though I would have liked to see us open up our big first half lead more, it was good to see the guys make the plays needed down the stretch to win the game.
I enjoyed getting to see the CATS live and up close. Sat next to Joker Phillips and talked a little football too. Good to be back in Lex.!
GACATFAN Wrote:I enjoyed getting to see the CATS live and up close. Sat next to Joker Phillips and talked a little football too. Good to be back in Lex.!

Did you tell him that we would like to see a couple more wins?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5