Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pikeville 56 Hazard 55 (59th Pikeville Invitational Tournament Championship)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final. Even game through out.

Branham had 15, Rowe 16 for Pikeville.

Hazard's Hollan hit a shot at the buzzer that was ruled a 2. Not sure, I couldn't see. Definitely close.

Congrats to Jared Tackett of Pikeville, MVP.

HAIL PIKEVILLE!
Congrats to Pikeville

Someone I know said they have a pic of the buzzer shot. Will post it tomorrow.
Congrats Pikeville. Sounds like each game held it's on controversy...
These games were in Pikeville right? Nuff said! No one can win over there...Can't wait to see the picture...of the 3 that would of tied it and sent it to overtime.
I'm not going to say anything neg until I see the pic..

But 15th is hard place to get a win.
Big win for Pikeville, congrats.
First off, before anyone blames the refs(Home Cookin) You weren't at the game. The game wasn't officiated to badly. But calls went both ways evenly! The buzzer beater at the end II originally thought was a 3. But I couldn't see the line because of people were sitting in front of me. So I don't know about the 3 or 2. But it was a great game!

Congrats Panthers!
I could see. His foot was clearly on the line and not behind. It was close, but clear, and if there is video, I'm fairly sure you see the ref hold 2 fingers out as he went into his shooting motion. Of that, I'm not 100%, but I'm sure his foot was on the line. It was a good game, worthy of the PIT final, and fairly well officiated. Definitely better than last nights games.
I was at the game and it was not that badly officiated. I also saw the picture of the three point shot Hollon made and it clearly shows his feet were 6-8" behind the line. The Hazard Herald reporter took the picture.
blueandgoldfan Wrote:I was at the game and it was not that badly officiated. I also saw the picture of the three point shot Hollon made and it clearly shows his feet were 6-8" behind the line. The Hazard Herald reporter took the picture.
I definitely want to see that. Because I was looking directly at the shooter and I saw his foot on the line as he started up.
What you have to remember when viewing a picture of the sequence, is that I am pretty sure he ball faked to draw the defender in the air the stepped into the shot with one foot looking to draw a foul almost. So, what may look like a shooting motion may be a ball fake.

The thing I am most amazed by is the making of the shot. He banked it from the corner with a guy all over him. Clutch shot.

Hazard's coach probably summed it up best when he said he believed it was a three "but that's basketball". Definitely deserving of the award he received in the trophy presentations.
EKYHoops Wrote:These games were in Pikeville right? Nuff said! No one can win over there...Can't wait to see the picture...of the 3 that would of tied it and sent it to overtime.
Plenty of teams have done it over the years. I am not sure where all of this comes from, it is not as if everyone in this area just loves PHS. Most that did not graduate or have kids there, hate PHS.

Bottom line, nothing will change it. No reason to let it ruin what was a really, really good basketball game.
I understand what you are saying PT, but the same can be said about people's views of what they thought they saw and/or their memory of it. You can have 200 people in a room witnessing the same thing and everyone will have a different story. It was a great tourney with a great championship game. Just a shame it had to end on a controversial call.
I was at the game,, Hollon made a tuff shot, I could not see his feet,,ref made the call so the Dawgs will go with it.

Fun game to watch,, Hazard lost the game on the backboards,, the panthers got too many second shots,, a few minutes to go in a tie game and the Dawgs let panthers get a put back on a missed free throw... Stuff like that is why you lose a one point game,, NOT a call at end of the game.

The young Bulldogs are getting better every game and Pikeville is a fun team to watch
Panther Thunder Wrote:What you have to remember when viewing a picture of the sequence, is that I am pretty sure he ball faked to draw the defender in the air the stepped into the shot with one foot looking to draw a foul almost. So, what may look like a shooting motion may be a ball fake.

The thing I am most amazed by is the making of the shot. He banked it from the corner with a guy all over him. Clutch shot.

Hazard's coach probably summed it up best when he said he believed it was a three "but that's basketball". Definitely deserving of the award he received in the trophy presentations.
Excellent. The Greenup coach could takes notes on when to clam up. Congrats to Hazard on a hard fought game. Very enjoyable game. And yes, he ball faked before stepping into the shot, THAT is what caused his foot to be on the line as he leaned to his left to get the shot off.
12/30/2011
Pikeville 56
Hazard 55
Hazard 14 15 9 17 55
Pikeville 17 16 8 15 56
Pikeville Inviatational
Hazard (8-5) -- Hollan 12, Thompson 7, Hardy 6, Combs 2, Whitaker 13, Triplett 2, Hall 2, Mobelini 11.
Pikeville (9-4) -- Tackett 7, McAnallen 2, Anderson 2, Hamilton 10, Hall 4, Branham 15, Rowe 16.
This sounds like it was an incredible game. I would have loved to have been there.
^It was an incredible game! Every second!
Spud6 Wrote:^It was an incredible game! Every second!

Close game throughout, a cliffhanging buzzer beater, and I'm assuming the atmosphere for the game was rockin'. That's what high school basketball is all about :rockon:
Ouch tough loss for the Dawgs. Congrats Panthers.
Congrats Panthers. Sure would have liked to have been there for this one. Knew this would be a good game.
Incredible game, maybe game of the year in the mountains up to this point. Big win for Pikeville. Hats off to Hazard, they are a very good team that is getting better and better. Come District time they could be prime to make a run.
ekff, post that picture! Please
Spud6 Wrote:ekff, post that picture! Please

I'm waiting as well.
Great game by the Panthers!!
pikeville is very good when it comes down to what actullay counts good job guys!!!
Spud6 Wrote:ekff, post that picture! Please

Sorry been in Chicago for New Years weekend... Will have it up tomorrow...
I got the pic sent to my phone and I'm having a hard time putting it up.

But from the pic I couldn't tell 3 or not..

So it wasn't a bad call... Home teams gets the tight calls..
ekff Wrote:I got the pic sent to my phone and I'm having a hard time putting it up.

But from the pic I couldn't tell 3 or not..

So it wasn't a bad call... Home teams gets the tight calls..
I agree completely, it was closer than I even thought based on another photo I've seen by Dusty Layne. A Hazard player's leg blocked what would have been an absolutely definitive picture. As it is, in the photo I've looked at, it was EXTREMELY close. Trying to see if I can upload it here too. No matter what, it was an excellent game, and as EKFF said, tight calls usually go home team's way. Definitely worth the cost of admission that night.
Pages: 1 2