Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Disrespectful Squads
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
:lame: OK I really don't know all that much about cheerleading, my only experiences being my daughters cheering in middle school but I do know their coach would have thrown a hissy if the girls did this to another school. With that said I would like to mention that I would hope that the cheerleaders would show enough class and sportsmanship to respect the opposing team. Tonight I watched as our team was warming up for a game( which is what we PAID to watch not the cheerleaders), going through their usual lay-ups and stuff when the opposing teams squad just walked right in the middle of the team warming up and started to do a cheer for their team!(This was on the end of the court NOT in the middle ) That was the most rude thing I have seen all year. Most of the time I try to defend cheerleading as a real sport because I know its a lot of hard work, but how can fans respect squads who do things like that?Especially when they were finished and 3 of the cheerleaders turned around and made obscene gestures to the team and crowd. Very VERY unladylike and I would not want them representing my school.
Mr. Varney and Mrs. Casey would have freaked out if one of Belfry's cheerleaders would have done that.

Acting like that is unjusitified completely.
I saw that......Magoffin Co cheerleaders walked right out in the middle of Lawrence County's pregame warmups. They lined up from the foul line to right under the basket and took over that section. LC boys tried to continue but Magoffin cheerleaders acted like they weren't even there. Our boys had to stop and let them finish. How ridiculous was that? And then, Magoffin County's team ran through the middle of all that confusion. It was crazy. Have some respect.
Was this a district game? i need this question answered before i can say anything else.
yes it was
Were the girls being judged?
Magoffin county was probably getting judged. I am sure they could have asked the Lawrence county boys if they could do their introduction cheer, or they could have gone to the other end of the floor, but that sometimes messes up the cheer and the lawrence county boys probably would have said no.

This kind of thing happens all the time in games where the cheerleaders are getting judged. They dont really mean to be rude about it, they are just trying to do all of their required elements on the in game judging sheet.
Doesn't matter if they were being judged or not, and I do hope points are taken off for rudeness!!! They could just have easily done the cheer in the middle of the floor without it messing up anything Or on the other end where THEIR team was suppose to warm up, I find this unacceptable behavior from any kid representing their school, and cheerleaders are no exception to the rule! The boys need the floor to warm for the GAME that people actually come to watch. Thank goodness our boys showed more class and let them finish instead of being as rude to them as the cheerleaders were to the team.
Not only did they show rudeness there, but they were floor hogs...Everytime the LC girls would come on the floor to cheer here would come Magoffin girls and LC girls out of respect would go sit on the sidelines until they were finished. Come on Magoffin Cheerleaders you don't own the floor.
Sounds like a case of going to a cheerleading competition and a basketball game broke out. *G* Sorry, just couldn't resist that.
"bballmama" Wrote:The boys need the floor to warm for the GAME that people actually come to watch.
Believe it or not..:Cheerlead ..some people come to watch the cheerleaders--the game is secondary. And at that particular game, there was two judges there JUST to watch the cheerleaders!
NOW that I got that off my chest....the coach should've explained to the boys about the girls being judged and asked them to move. Chances are they would've. As far as them needing to warm up....an opening cheer takes only a couple of minutes, so it isn't like they ruined their 'warm up'. BUT there is NO EXCUSE for the cheerleaders being RUDE and the ugly gestures they displayed. And if the judges saw this, I'm sure there was points deducted for unsportsmanlike conduct. I've seen squads deducted points for doing rebound cheers during free throws.
I agree with you Ridgewarrior. I go to games only to watch cheerleading, I could care less about the game but that's just me. I don't sport the view that cheerleaders are there for the team only and their feelings and hard work are expendable. This is not the NBA and even in college the cheerleaders get more respect than that. There is no basketball player or at least in this part of the country that deserves any more recognition than say a good cheerleader or squad. There are people that view cheerleading as a sport in itself and you'd be suprised at how many of us there are.
ridgewarrior..... its not unsportsmonlike to do rebound cheers during free throws.... never in the rule book does it say that... so just get over it its not unsportsmanlike:fight: :Angry07:
1st of all--the cheerleaders were being judged. They are required to do an opening cheer. In fact, the teams were given an extra 5 minutes of warm-up time to ensure that these opening cheers would not interfere with the boys' floor time. The cheerleaders were also held up out of respect to the Sheldon Clark girls who were still on the floor. Why would they be nice to one team and then be rude to another? I am sure they wanted to get out there and off the floor as soon as possible. It probably wouldn't have killed the LC boys to step aside for 60 seconds so the girls could perform all their stunts (which did not happen...one whole side of the cheer did not go up.)

2nd of all--the cheerleaders are not allowed to be on the floor AT ALL during introductions of the ball players. This was decided at a 57th district meeting. Lawrence County tumbled all the way down the floor during this time. This was a blatant disregard for the rules.

3rd--as far as hogging the floor, LC never attempted to do a floor cheer. Were they not being judged? MC sat down twice that I know of to give them an opportunity to take the floor. Then, they only did sidelines or chants. Since Magoffin WAS being judged, they wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to do all their floor cheers.

4th--I am not aware of any rude gestures that were made. That would certainly not be something a squad would do in a JUDGING situation! I know that their sponsor would never condone such behavior.

5th--of course, this is the district tournament...emotions run high. I think both teams did an excellent job. The game was so exciting and it was a shame that someone had to lose. Let's focus on the positive things and wish all the teams good luck, and not the little picky things that, in the long run, are secondary.
First of all, courtesy goes both ways.

If this squad needed to do their introduction cheer than the team could have given them one minute, because we all know that the average cheer last around 40-50 seconds.

If this squad was being judged than sportmanship is an element they are being judged on and if they did make rude gestures than it will only hurt them at trophy time.

Yes, it is about basketball, but cheerleaders have always been part of that and there should be give and take on both sides.
If your talking about bad sportsmanship that's one thing that shouldn't be tolerated but the coach needs to take care of that. But the cheerleaders are a part of every game including district and region and they need to be able to do what they have worked hard to do. It is give and take.
im sure glad that in the heading of this thread it said, "How disrespectful Magoffin County's Cheerleaders were" i mean come on its over and done with...get over it its not like its going to kill anybody...anyway lawrence co cheerleaders weren't even on the floor at the beginning of the game and sat on the sidelines a lot. if they wanted the floor, why didn't they take it.

and what about paintsville
What did they expect the MC Cheerleaders to do? Just stand there and wait for the LC ballplayers to get finished? Ballplayers don't care about cheerleaders during games, especially from the other team. MC did what they had to do, especially if they were getting judged!!
i think if your cheering you need to remember your representing your school, your parents, other cheerleaders before you, and yourself thats what my coaches always taught me
"pikevillecheer" Wrote:ridgewarrior..... its not unsportsmonlike to do rebound cheers during free throws.... never in the rule book does it say that... so just get over it its not unsportsmanlike:fight: :Angry07:
Easy now-Rolleyes-don't get all worked up for no reason!! All I said was "I have seen squads that was deducted points for doing rebound cheers during free throws!" I didn't say if it was right or wrong.....
If any of you would read I never once said Magoffin co in my 1 st post. I was giving an example of what happened and thought it should have been mentioned. Some of you seem to have a chip on your shoulder about cheerleading. Did any of you stop to consider the actions taken were putting the players and cheerleaders in harms way? What if the boys had not moved? What if a ball had hit one of the girls if they had attempted a stunt? What if one of the cheerleaders tumbled into a player? As far as I am concerned the cheer coach should have been more aware of what was going on , I seriously doubt many boys basketball teams know what the district tells cheerleaders they can and cannot do. The team is there to play ball not worry about all the other stuff that goes on with the cheerleaders. All the cheer coach had to do was ask Coach A to give them time to do a dang cheer and i am sure he would have obliged, is that so hard for someone in charge of a large group to do?
If your team was playing in the first night of districts and the cheerleading coach from the opposing team asked you to remove your players from the floor to do a cheer, would you say yes? I don't think many people would!
"bballmama" Wrote:All the cheer coach had to do was ask Coach A to give them time to do a dang cheer and i am sure he would have obliged, is that so hard for someone in charge of a large group to do?
Nope...that is exactly what should've happened. :thumb:
I'm not aware of this ever being a problem in the past. Everyone knows that cheerleaders get judged at disticts. They are there compeating, just like the basketball teams. I don't know how things were in Lawrence County's old region or distict, but maybe they need to adjust to how things have been, are, and always will be done in the 57th and 15th.
"ridgewarrior" Wrote:Easy now-Rolleyes-don't get all worked up for no reason!! All I said was "I have seen squads that was deducted points for doing rebound cheers during free throws!" I didn't say if it was right or wrong.....

You're both right. It can be considered unsportsmanlike by some judges. However, there really is no specific rule against it.
Prestonsburg did not do rebound cheers during the 58th tournament.
"pikevillecheer" Wrote:ridgewarrior..... its not unsportsmonlike to do rebound cheers during free throws.... never in the rule book does it say that... so just get over it its not unsportsmanlike:fight: :Angry07:

No, it is not unsportsmanlike. But, almost every squad that I have seen cheer during free throws, devides so that the free throw lane is clear. I don't know if this is supposed to happen or if it is a respect thing. BUT, like I said just about every squad does this.
NOW, LAST NIGHT. I did witness 2 Magoffin Co. cheerleaders in the first half of the game between them and Paintsville stand in the direct line of the free throw shooter clapping their hands, stomping and yelling at the shooter. May I note that the rest of the squad was devided on each side of the lane. I really didn't notice if they were cheering or just standing though, because these two girls caught my attention so quick. I guess it is where I am not used to seeing this. NOW to me that is rude
"bballmama" Wrote::lame: OK I really don't know all that much about cheerleading, my only experiences being my daughters cheering in middle school but I do know their coach would have thrown a hissy if the girls did this to another school. With that said I would like to mention that I would hope that the cheerleaders would show enough class and sportsmanship to respect the opposing team. Tonight I watched as our team was warming up for a game( which is what we PAID to watch not the cheerleaders), going through their usual lay-ups and stuff when the opposing teams squad just walked right in the middle of the team warming up and started to do a cheer for their team!(This was on the end of the court NOT in the middle ) That was the most rude thing I have seen all year. Most of the time I try to defend cheerleading as a real sport because I know its a lot of hard work, but how can fans respect squads who do things like that?Especially when they were finished and 3 of the cheerleaders turned around and made obscene gestures to the team and crowd. Very VERY unladylike and I would not want them representing my school.

OK bballmama b4 u start shooting your mouth off u really need to get your story straight because ur boys was making the rude gestures toward the mc cheerleaders and they did not say one word to them and yes we were being juged that night. So b4 u start giving us a bad name u really need to get your stories straight. You all r just jealous that our boys beat you all.... it's over so get over. And yes CHEERLEADING is and SPORT!
"syoung" Wrote:I saw that......Magoffin Co cheerleaders walked right out in the middle of Lawrence County's pregame warmups. They lined up from the foul line to right under the basket and took over that section. LC boys tried to continue but Magoffin cheerleaders acted like they weren't even there. Our boys had to stop and let them finish. How ridiculous was that? And then, Magoffin County's team ran through the middle of all that confusion. It was crazy. Have some respect.

you gotta give respect to get it:wtf1: :Cheerlead :omg: :Hammer3: Hammer Heads:ChairHit: :flame: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"ridgewarrior" Wrote:Believe it or not..:Cheerlead ..some people come to watch the cheerleaders--the game is secondary. And at that particular game, there was two judges there JUST to watch the cheerleaders!
NOW that I got that off my chest....the coach should've explained to the boys about the girls being judged and asked them to move. Chances are they would've. As far as them needing to warm up....an opening cheer takes only a couple of minutes, so it isn't like they ruined their 'warm up'. BUT there is NO EXCUSE for the cheerleaders being RUDE and the ugly gestures they displayed. And if the judges saw this, I'm sure there was points deducted for unsportsmanlike conduct. I've seen squads deducted points for doing rebound cheers during free throws.

the only ppl who come to a BALL game to watch cheerleaders only are: perverts,,,,parents or,,,,judges(during tourny):wtf1:
Pages: 1 2 3