Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: What's up at Bourbon Co.?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anybody know any truth if they let Poynter go?
Yes, according to sources he is gone.
It's a shame, thought they had turned the corner.
They return a lot next year. This will be an attractive job based on the returning players and new facilities.
a great coach left a riseing program
Where is he now? I know he really wanted to get closer to the Rock/Madison area but thought he was happy to be at Bourbon County.
Did they let him go or did he choose to step down. There is a difference.
They had a solid season. I mean why would they have let him go?
Was Bourbon county ever good other than the years Hilton was there?
Brother Xavier Wrote:Did they let him go or did he choose to step down. There is a difference.

I think he stepped down, but I heard that it was mutual. A small RUMOR i'm hearing is that Poynter is very interested in the Clark County job and has been ever since it opened up. That could be why he's leaving
This was NOT mutual and came as a shock to the staff and players. Supposedly was not football related but didn't get any other details. Seems kind of fishy?
They tried to bully him out last year, rumor was some of the big money guys in the area did not want to put money in the program if he was the coach, they had said they wanted a big name. I know that they talked to Paul Rains last year when he was looking without Poynter knowing it. This is a dirty way to do things if they are letting him go because they want a name. Poynter has been successful and will land on his feet and do well whereever he lands. Wish him the best and to the Bourbon county people you just let a good coach go I hope this is not a mistake.
NoworLater Wrote:This was NOT mutual and came as a shock to the staff and players. Supposedly was not football related but didn't get any other details. Seems kind of fishy?

Wow that's a surprise. Did they just get rid of Poytner or did they can the whole staff?
Johnny Poynter has been treated like trash by the Administration (superintendent) ever since he's been at Bourbon County especially this past year and a half, last November the Superintendent was contacted by a High School Coach and interviewed him for the Head Coaching position that Poynter still held and continued to hold after the Superintendent would not give in to some of the demands that the Coach she was interviewing wanted. Then this year Superintendent tells Poynter that she interviewed 4 or 5 more Coaches for next year, this is the same way Superintendent had done the previous 2 Coaches before Poynter trying to get rid of them in the middle of the season cause they were not winning. Superintendent made Johnny let kids come out and join the team after the 6th game of the year this season going against him because he felt it was not fair to let kids come out that had not lifted weights all winter, practiced all summer or went to camp and play in front of kids that did, Superintendent also stuck her nose in the Football Program Johnny's first year when he tried to discipline kids who refused to come to practice, Bourbon Administration does not deserve a Coach as good as Johnny Poynter who lives for Football and his Team and for all of you that bad mouth him his record speaks for its self as does Bourbon Administration in the last 14 years Bourbon has had 5 Football Coaches, 5 Basketball Coaches and 6 Principals and plenty of losing seasons maybe its not the Coaches how about making some changes in the Administration....
Good Luck to you Johnny Poynter your players and Coaching Staff I know you will bounce back you brought some EXCITEMENT back to Bourbon County and taught your team how to WIN!!!! most importantly pat yourself on the back for standing up to your Superintendent when they cant CONTROL you they FIRE you...
Sounds like the Administration needs an attitude adjustment.
Bourbon ran Hilton out when he left!! They need to fire the Super! She's a liar and joke! Reminds me of another friends story last year. Great coaches not willing to let everybody else run the program. What a shame for the kids. More importantly, Johny and his family now have to pick up the pieces and move on!! It's not right.
Poytner will hopefully land on his feet somewhere. GRC and Paris are open locally and there are coaching jobs in Louisville open like Western, Seneca, and Jeffersontown. Not to mention that Dunbar is open... again.

My belief is if you're an A.D., and you know a little how football works, then it's ok to jump in and suggest a few things. However, if you know nothing about football, then hire a coach that does and let him run the program.
toussaints Wrote:Poytner will hopefully land on his feet somewhere. GRC and Paris are open locally and there are coaching jobs in Louisville open like Western, Seneca, and Jeffersontown. Not to mention that Dunbar is open... again.

My belief is if you're an A.D., and you know a little how football works, then it's ok to jump in and suggest a few things. However, if you know nothing about football, then hire a coach that does and let him run the program.

I heard that the Western Head Coach left to take the Seneca Head Coaching Position
Don't be surprised if in the next couple years Bourbon County doesn't change their name to the Adena Springs(thoroughbred farm) Colonels. They were the big donation for their new field, and apparently the "money" didn't like Poynter on his field. If you remember, Chuke Williams was brought in by a board member and remember how that turned out...Oh well the 5th Football Coach within the last 10 years. My nephew was on the team and they all loved Poynter, but sure you'll have some kids/parents that will disagree with his style. But you can't say he didn't turn them into winners. Now let the next coach reap the rewards.
Such a shame. A great football coach that brought a winning attitude to Bourbon Co. and it showed. I feel bad not only for Poynter and his family but also the kids on the team. I know what it is like to go through several coaches in several years. I agree NoworLater, whoever is next in line to be the head man at BC will reap the benefits of what Poynter planted.
Hopefully wherever he goes has a P.E. teacher position open. That was tough for him before, but with what he did for Trimble and has done at Bourbon County, he will get some good offers.
LittleBigGuy Wrote:Johnny Poynter has been treated like trash by the Administration (superintendent) ever since he's been at Bourbon County especially this past year and a half, last November the Superintendent was contacted by a High School Coach and interviewed him for the Head Coaching position that Poynter still held and continued to hold after the Superintendent would not give in to some of the demands that the Coach she was interviewing wanted. Then this year Superintendent tells Poynter that she interviewed 4 or 5 more Coaches for next year, this is the same way Superintendent had done the previous 2 Coaches before Poynter trying to get rid of them in the middle of the season cause they were not winning. Superintendent made Johnny let kids come out and join the team after the 6th game of the year this season going against him because he felt it was not fair to let kids come out that had not lifted weights all winter, practiced all summer or went to camp and play in front of kids that did, Superintendent also stuck her nose in the Football Program Johnny's first year when he tried to discipline kids who refused to come to practice, Bourbon Administration does not deserve a Coach as good as Johnny Poynter who lives for Football and his Team and for all of you that bad mouth him his record speaks for its self as does Bourbon Administration in the last 14 years Bourbon has had 5 Football Coaches, 5 Basketball Coaches and 6 Principals and plenty of losing seasons maybe its not the Coaches how about making some changes in the Administration....
Good Luck to you Johnny Poynter your players and Coaching Staff I know you will bounce back you brought some EXCITEMENT back to Bourbon County and taught your team how to WIN!!!! most importantly pat yourself on the back for standing up to your Superintendent when they cant CONTROL you they FIRE you...

and the dumb*** award go to bourbon county that man was a winner he bought trimble county out of a dump and made a good team until he left dumb call by bourbon
read on another site that Frankfort's Coach Craig Foley was the leading candidate for the position
Strikeout King Wrote:read on another site that Frankfort's Coach Craig Foley was the leading candidate for the position

I heard from a Bourbon parent that David Buchanon from Mason County was leading candidate.
Maybe a good move for David to get out of Mason. Bourbon has some talent and nice facilities. Seems Mason always has high expectations but can never meet them.

Foley was at Bourbon as an asst. with Poytner on Dudley's staff.
Sounds like this job could be a graveyard for coaches
Any update on the Bourbon coaching search?
I know a lot of coaches that think Buchanan is the reason Mason never reaches those expectations.
Administration put out a requirement of all coaches to have a winning season or be gone. Coach Poynter did so going 8-4. They then turned the table and came up with problems with his teaching to let him go. Then have the ability in the same breathe to ask him to finish out the school year. The Adena Springs gentlemen did not want his son coached by Poynter because he didn't like him. Lana (Superintendent) needs to be replaced not to mention the rest of the board. They are liars and cheats and don't care about education much less athletics.
Sad to see Coach Poynter leave but truth be known, he deserves to be treated better for the passion and winning he brought to the program.
For the program, I feel it will set it back no matter what.
Coaches applying, I have heard a few from Boyle county have applied. That is all I have heard so far though.:insane:
Not a safe job if you can go 8-4 and still be let go.