Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Fans petition Broncos, Tim Tebow to support gay youth
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A growing group of fans and activists are petitioning the Denver Broncos, specifically QB Tim Tebow, to join the 'It Gets Better' campaign in support of gay teens.

Says petition organizer and Broncos fan Andy Szekeres: "It's the good Christian thing to do."

The project, founded in September, 2010, is an effort to curb suicides among lesbian, bisexual, gay and transgender teens. 'It Gets Better' has delivered video messages from public figures including Barack Obama and pro sports teams like the San Francisco Giants, encouraging teens that their lives will improve in adulthood.

No NFL team has yet joined the campaign.

Tebow and his mother were featured in an anti-abortion Super Bowl ad for 'Focus On The Family,' an advocacy group which opposes abortion and gay marriage. The second-year QB is vocal about his faith, but was not allowed by his publicist to answer a question about gay marriage in this Washington Post interview earlier this year.

VIDEO: Tebow's Super Bowl ad

Focus on the Family, based in Colorado Springs, "battles against gay rights, sex education and women's rights with an annual budget of $130 million," according to the Southern Poverty Law Center.

More than 3,000 people have signed the petition started by Szekeres, a Denver man who is also a political fundraiser.

"The campaign is reaching people and changing lives," says Szekeres, 28. "Within the gay community and with a lot of straight allies it's making a difference and raising critical issues.

"It would really be an amazing thing for Tebow and the Broncos to do to really say 'We may have differences on abortion and gay marriage, but stopping kids from killing themselves is an issue we can all get behind.'"

Szekeres says Tebow is furthering his brand by staying away from gay issues and that he is unsure if the QB will oblige.

"I don't know if he will sign up," Szekeres says. "A lot of my gay and lesbian friends support him and think he's doing a great job as a quarterback. This is an easy way to show support for the LGBT community that is not divisive."
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/...ay-youth/1
We'll see how strong his faith is on this one.
Does he stay true in what he says and tell these people to go away and not support it like he should....
or fall victim to media and other things by going with retard groups of people like this that only want attention?
^Agree 100% RIUTG
Why do the Atheists and Gays have to try and ruin everything? If Aaron Rodgers was a vocal devil worshiper he would have got less attention than Tebow.....Why cant people leave him alone and watch football?
According to the article, no NFL team has supported it, I would choose to let the heat die down. If the Broncos come out and support it, then all he has to say is that his organization chose to support it and he supports the Broncos. (Backdoor way to support/be-against)
Did anyone watch the Year of the QB on ESPN Classic tonight? I watched it after the UK game and it was all about Tim Tebow leading up to the Draft. It made me even more of a Tebow fan. I hated him in College. But I swear he is right up there with Mike Alstott as my favorite player ever. He might even be my favorite person. He is such a kind natured person. He is what a role model should be, If you like Tebow then you should watch it.

But on the topic of pro Teams that will support 'It gets better' then I really think that the Miami Marlins will support it. Have you all seen their new uniforms?...lol
^ I caught bits of it, but have seen many of the things they did on Tebow before. This guy is a class act and a genuinely "Good" person!
Yeah I it amazed me the way he interacted with everyone, he even gave the camera man a vote on whether or not Him and his group of buddies and advisers went home or stayed in New York for the draft. He is a very great person. It is almost hard to believe there are still people that act way in today's society.