Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Camels shooting for KHSAA bowling title
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://communitypress.cincinnati.com/app...312120071/

ALEXANDRIA — The trophy may look different, but the uniforms and the competition are the same.

The Campbell County High School boys bowling team is off to a perfect start as the Camels try to repeat as state champions this season. If they were to win the state tournament again next March, the Camels will own a trophy provided by the Kentucky High School Athletic Association.

This is the first year bowling has been a sanctioned sport by the KHSAA.

Bowling was a club sport in the state for about a decade, and officials put together a postseason tournament in those years. Campbell won the state title for boys teams at the club level last season and lost one senior from that group.

“We’re definitely a team this year,” junior Trey Brun said. “We’re good friends with each other. I think we can (win state) again.”

Head coach Wayne Heringer, a former head baseball coach at Campbell, is one of several new coaches for bowling teams across the area this year. Head coaches need to meet several KHSAA requirements to be certified, and school districts were required to take on more of the administrative costs.

While those and other off-lane hurdles had to be cleared to get the sport under KHSAA jurisdiction, the rules of competition were virtually unchanged.

Campbell will play weekly matches this season against Northern Kentucky foes, and a team can win up to seven points each match. Teams are allowed this year to add other tournaments. Campbell was set to bowl in a tournament hosted by Louisville St. Xavier Dec. 10. The postseason will be in March, with the state tourney happening March 23 in Louisville.

The Camels are off to a 14-0 start after sweeping rival Brossart 7-0 in boys action Dec. 8 at Southern Lanes in Alexandria. The Camels girls team won six of seven points and are 13-1. Both teams swept Newport Central Catholic in week one.

“I really like starting off well,” Brun said. “The guys love the pressure, and we’ll do the best we can.”

The boys team averaged 213 in the match, which is a combination of team combined games and the Baker system, in which five bowlers roll two frames apiece for one score.
Hey stardust can you please put on here the region alignment for state this year? I can't find it on the KHSAA website. Thanks! Good Luck to Campbell Co.
^ I have yet to find it, but I keep looking. I did find the rules.

http://www.khsaa.org/bowling/bowlinghand...onplan.pdf
Makes you wonder how can they have district, and regions but crown a state champ.
The KHSAA is still waiting to see who will ACTUALLY have bowling. Some schools have had six events already, some have had very few.

The KHSAA said 80 schools (or more) are offering bowling this year. Actual counts put it around 75 (see below). Any of you EKy folks know if Fairview, Harlan County, Hazard, Perry County Central, Phelps, Piarist, Pike County Central, Rose Hill Christian, Southwestern or Wolfe have bowling teams? Have also heard that Rowan County HS has bowling, but they are NOT on ANY of the schedules of the 75 teams below:

HAVEN'T HEARD FROM THESE/APPEAR ON NO ONE ELSE'S SCHEDULE: 15
Central (Louisville)
Eminence
Fairview
Harlan County
Hazard
Holy Cross (Louisville)
Perry County Central
Phelps
Piarist
Pike County Central
Prestonsburg
Rose Hill Christian (Ashland)
Southwestern
Valley
Wolfe County

CONFIRMED TEAMS (THROUGH SENDING IN SCHEDULE/SKED ONLINE/ON OTHER TEAMS' SKEDS): 75
Assumption
Ballard
Beechwood
Bishop Brossart
Boone County
Bourbon County
Bowling Green
Brown
Bryan Station
Bullitt Central
Bullitt East
Butler