Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Lawrence County 2012
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Any thoughts as to what to expect From LC next year. Offensively and Defensively??
Offensively I will expect to continue to see poor play calling!
Let's hope things get better all around.
Have some key returning players on defense in linebackers Jordan Wellman, and Blake Watson and others. Have to build on that
Offensively should get back tailback Caleb Bentley and returning players Ricky Goble, Morgan O'brian and a few lineman. A junior will be at quarterback A.J. Cyrus athletic mobile quarterback..
wouldn't guarantee caleb will be back at LC next season if you know what I mean! Just from how he talks in school, don't think hes sold on playing for this staff here...selfish I know but reality it could be!
This year LC ran the ball towards the number #75s side 90% of the time, they need to find a way to spread the ball to both sides of the line, now that he's gone. I'm sure they'll be pretty decent.. But not the average LC team.
I don't know if some of you Bulldog Nation fans realize the following or if you do, and just fail to accept it, but don't you think that the level of competition this year was a little bit better than it was the previous two years?

Now, don't get me wrong; what Salmons did in revamping the program was great. He, his staff, the players, etc. should be commended on a job very well done.

However, you have to acknowledge the fact that the year before he took over in '08, Lawrence County went 1-10 in '07 then 0-10 in his first year of '08. Well, I have news for you- when you go 1-21 over two years, you can pretty much schedule any and every average and/or below average team that you want. Guess what Lawrence was able to do for the '09 and '10 seasons? Downgrade their schedule (it's ok, it's part of it and that's what they needed to do), and they did just that.

I went back and looked at the win/loss and winning percentages of Lawrence's opponents from '08-'11 and this is what I found.

'08- Lawrence finishes 0-10 and their opponents record was 97-44 (67% wins).

'09- Lawrence finishes 12-1 and their opponents record was 63-64 (49% wins).

'10- Lawrence finishes 9-2 and their opponents record was 40-63 (38% wins).

'11- Lawrence finishes 5-7 and their opponents record was78-65 (54% wins).

I can promise you this; as bad as their record was in '08 and as good as it was in '09, I can guarantee that Luke Salmons didn't just wake up before the '09 season and learn how to coach. He can coach and a dang good one at that, just like Coach Cecil and his staff. However, the fact of the matter is that so much of the success with programs like Lawrence County (those good, reputable yet not 1st class nor a lower tier program) weighs on not so much scheme and coaches (because there are a ton of guys out there that can coach and many great schemes), but the Jimmy's and Joe's---and, you either have them, or the teams you are playing have them. I haven't seen a state championship team nor great offensive and defensive schemes that were made famous by average talent. It's hard for some of you and many other fans who look through the world with blinders on to realize, but it's true.

Moral of my points? Just support your dang team through thick and thin. That's it. Every Tom, Dick and Harry know what's best when things just aren't going great. Luke Salmons and his staff can coach the game, just like Coach Cecil and his crew can----and, just like countless other head coaches across the state can.

You went 5-7 this year. Two of those losses came to Belfry. Things will improve. Support your team(s) through the good, the bad and the so-so.
Very well said Duck. I think more than anything Cecil needs a few more assistants, many times it was just Cecil, Short, and Caudill trying to coach 50 kids, thats tough! And a few Jimmys and Joes wouldnt hurt none either.
This doesn't involve Lawrence County's current team, but I figure people here would like to know about it.

Marshall University tight ends coach Phil Ratliff, a Louisa native, LC grad and former assistant coach, has accepted the position of offensive line coach at UNC Charlotte. UNCC will be fielding a football team for the first time in school history. They are recruiting players to redshirt this year and will begin play in 2013 with two full recruiting classes. Best of luck to a fellow son of Marshall.

As for Lawrence County, expect seniors Blake Prince and Jordan Wellman to anchor the defense. These are two kids from Fort Gay that would originally have gone to Tolsia but went across the river while the Rebels were in a very down period.
TheUnderground Wrote:Very well said Duck. I think more than anything Cecil needs a few more assistants, many times it was just Cecil, Short, and Caudill trying to coach 50 kids, thats tough! And a few Jimmys and Joes wouldnt hurt none either.
Actually you missed the most valuable name in the lockeroom. Of cource that is a matter of opinion.
WVCoach Wrote:This doesn't involve Lawrence County's current team, but I figure people here would like to know about it.

Marshall University tight ends coach Phil Ratliff, a Louisa native, LC grad and former assistant coach, has accepted the position of offensive line coach at UNC Charlotte. UNCC will be fielding a football team for the first time in school history. They are recruiting players to redshirt this year and will begin play in 2013 with two full recruiting classes. Best of luck to a fellow son of Marshall.

As for Lawrence County, expect seniors Blake Prince and Jordan Wellman to anchor the defense. These are two kids from Fort Gay that would originally have gone to Tolsia but went across the river while the Rebels were in a very down period.
Best of luck to an old friend Phillip R., in his new endeavors.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh EKY............
WideRight05 Wrote:Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh EKY............
WR 05 you are simply doing a great job. Keep up the work. You are doing quite well at bringing the East to the West with a common denominator.:Thumbs::biggrin: Always did respect the HHS football program as being a great program,just not the best.:hilarious:
Lawrence had talent this year but tried to do way too much. They had no system that they stuck with. Wing t, I, I with a wing, trips, single back. When Lawrence lined up and ran the option, they were 10 times better than that wing T stuff. If they would have ran the belly full time with that big fullback and Goble, it's untelling how good they would have been. Goble is a belly dive back, not a jet sweep back. LC Qb would have been the perfect belly read qb, he was smart and would have got his reads and then smoked people with belly pass. Not saying LC was bad, because they weren't, but with the strong backs and smart qb they had, the belly would have been perfect. If you have hard running backs and a qb who can make the reads, It's hard for the defense to be right. LC had the ingrediants to have been 1 heck of a belly team.
IMO the play calling of this years dogs was terrible! Coach Cecil should find himself a better offensive coordinator.
I coach in West Virginia and only had a chance to see a few games, but I will agree that they tried to do too much. I was shocked to see them lining up in spread sets and running a variety of read options with Kiser at quarterback. Maybe I just haven't seen him enough, but he never struck me as a QB suited for any type of option offense. Perhaps the belly would've been effective as a full-time scheme, but I think this could've been a good Power-I team.

And if they happen to start looking for offensive coordinators, I'd be willing to negotiate. lol
F.N.L. Wrote:Lawrence had talent this year but tried to do way too much. They had no system that they stuck with. Wing t, I, I with a wing, trips, single back. When Lawrence lined up and ran the option, they were 10 times better than that wing T stuff. If they would have ran the belly full time with that big fullback and Goble, it's untelling how good they would have been. Goble is a belly dive back, not a jet sweep back. LC Qb would have been the perfect belly read qb, he was smart and would have got his reads and then smoked people with belly pass. Not saying LC was bad, because they weren't, but with the strong backs and smart qb they had, the belly would have been perfect. If you have hard running backs and a qb who can make the reads, It's hard for the defense to be right. LC had the ingrediants to have been 1 heck of a belly team.

Smartest post I have read on here in months.
With the players returning on the offensive side of the ball for LC this upcoming year they now have the chance to change the offense and run a more powered attack. You cant run a jet sweep with a FB body like Ricky Goble, it makes no sense. Cyrus is a great "faking" QB and will look for contact on his QB keeps. Goble is stout and strong and a perfect "dive" FB. Therefore Gobles and Cyrus fakes will open holes for the speed back O'Brian to have a monster year.
Excellent post all of the way around. I am an outsider but have watched and seen Lawrence County for several years. Things will work out for this team. Success is around the corner as long as people give it time to get here.

Fly Like a Duck Wrote:I don't know if some of you Bulldog Nation fans realize the following or if you do, and just fail to accept it, but don't you think that the level of competition this year was a little bit better than it was the previous two years?

Now, don't get me wrong; what Salmons did in revamping the program was great. He, his staff, the players, etc. should be commended on a job very well done.

However, you have to acknowledge the fact that the year before he took over in '08, Lawrence County went 1-10 in '07 then 0-10 in his first year of '08. Well, I have news for you- when you go 1-21 over two years, you can pretty much schedule any and every average and/or below average team that you want. Guess what Lawrence was able to do for the '09 and '10 seasons? Downgrade their schedule (it's ok, it's part of it and that's what they needed to do), and they did just that.

I went back and looked at the win/loss and winning percentages of Lawrence's opponents from '08-'11 and this is what I found.

'08- Lawrence finishes 0-10 and their opponents record was 97-44 (67% wins).

'09- Lawrence finishes 12-1 and their opponents record was 63-64 (49% wins).

'10- Lawrence finishes 9-2 and their opponents record was 40-63 (38% wins).

'11- Lawrence finishes 5-7 and their opponents record was78-65 (54% wins).

I can promise you this; as bad as their record was in '08 and as good as it was in '09, I can guarantee that Luke Salmons didn't just wake up before the '09 season and learn how to coach. He can coach and a dang good one at that, just like Coach Cecil and his staff. However, the fact of the matter is that so much of the success with programs like Lawrence County (those good, reputable yet not 1st class nor a lower tier program) weighs on not so much scheme and coaches (because there are a ton of guys out there that can coach and many great schemes), but the Jimmy's and Joe's---and, you either have them, or the teams you are playing have them. I haven't seen a state championship team nor great offensive and defensive schemes that were made famous by average talent. It's hard for some of you and many other fans who look through the world with blinders on to realize, but it's true.

Moral of my points? Just support your dang team through thick and thin. That's it. Every Tom, Dick and Harry know what's best when things just aren't going great. Luke Salmons and his staff can coach the game, just like Coach Cecil and his crew can----and, just like countless other head coaches across the state can.

You went 5-7 this year. Two of those losses came to Belfry. Things will improve. Support your team(s) through the good, the bad and the so-so.
StrayBullet Wrote:With the players returning on the offensive side of the ball for LC this upcoming year they now have the chance to change the offense and run a more powered attack. You cant run a jet sweep with a FB body like Ricky Goble, it makes no sense. Cyrus is a great "faking" QB and will look for contact on his QB keeps. Goble is stout and strong and a perfect "dive" FB. Therefore Gobles and Cyrus fakes will open holes for the speed back O'Brian to have a monster year.

I agree 110 %.. The only thing I would look for would be to see what lineman LC can add to that line to improve from last year?? They are young on both lines, but if they can get some kids to play then they should be fine.. Offensviely A.J. Cyrus is a mobile quarterback who can run and throw, but is a little under-sized. Defensively the Dawgs return two outstanding linebackers in Jordan Wellman, and Blake Watson..
I would love to see Lawrence return to a dominant team. What is the support like from the school system?
coach felder an coach jew, does anyone know what coach felder plans for next year are. Lc has 2 very "hard hitting" lbs coming back . Coach felder has made wellman an watson to some very outstanding lbs. I here he is going to midland with luke; also here it maybe huntington :even boyd county has came up . LC dont let this asst coach get away
coach5050 Wrote:coach felder an coach jew, does anyone know what coach felder plans for next year are. Lc has 2 very "hard hitting" lbs coming back . Coach felder has made wellman an watson to some very outstanding lbs. I here he is going to midland with luke; also here it maybe huntington :even boyd county has came up . LC dont let this asst coach get away

??????????? Who is coach Felder for starts.
coach5050 Wrote:coach felder an coach jew, does anyone know what coach felder plans for next year are. Lc has 2 very "hard hitting" lbs coming back . Coach felder has made wellman an watson to some very outstanding lbs. I here he is going to midland with luke; also here it maybe huntington :even boyd county has came up . LC dont let this asst coach get away

Dont take a hit of acid before posting.:hilarious:
I think that may be Coach Bobby's last name, not sure. But I do know that coach bobby and coach Jew will not be back. They will be missed. Word is, the Middle School coaches may be coming up, Mike Woods and William Prince, both are very capable of contributing to the Program. There is alot of talented kids at LC, Cecil is gonna have to shake some trees and get them in the weight room, with Pike Central graduating most of their talent, Sheldon Clark and East ridge will be terrible, that leaves Belfry in District. We could have a solid year.
TheUnderground Wrote:I think that may be Coach Bobby's last name, not sure. But I do know that coach bobby and coach Jew will not be back. They will be missed. Word is, the Middle School coaches may be coming up, Mike Woods and William Prince, both are very capable of contributing to the Program. There is alot of talented kids at LC, Cecil is gonna have to shake some trees and get them in the weight room, with Pike Central graduating most of their talent, Sheldon Clark and East ridge will be terrible, that leaves Belfry in District. We could have a solid year.

I personally know Coach Woods and have coached with him in the youth leagues and believe he will flourish at the HS level with the kids and coaches. He knows the game and is very passionate about it as well. The kids love to work for him. He believes in power football all day everyday.
all i know is if short is calling the plays and caudill is back, i see maybe 3 wins at best next year. cecil can't mix business with friends (and favors for friends) in order to win games. Keep short on if need be but don't keep him as you OC just because your best friends. Caudill must go period! I want winning back in my hometown.

Also, whoever said LC will be good on defense bc of blake prince coming back is crazy. Good kid, went to school with him but come on he is so little, (yeah yeah big heart, no one outworks him, i get it) but if he is the best we have on defense or one of the top two on defense we are in trouble
True, Blake's not the most physically imposing player, but had your more physically talented players worked as hard as Blake, your season would've been more successful. Like I said, I only caught a few games, but I saw a lot of players with no drive and coaches who mailed in much of the game. This is just my opinion, but I always look at a kid's work ethic and heart before even glancing at the measureables.
bulldog4life Wrote:all i know is if short is calling the plays and caudill is back, i see maybe 3 wins at best next year. cecil can't mix business with friends (and favors for friends) in order to win games. Keep short on if need be but don't keep him as you OC just because your best friends. Caudill must go period! I want winning back in my hometown.

Also, whoever said LC will be good on defense bc of blake prince coming back is crazy. Good kid, went to school with him but come on he is so little, (yeah yeah big heart, no one outworks him, i get it) but if he is the best we have on defense or one of the top two on defense we are in trouble

What's it like looking at the world with blinders on, anyway?
Pages: 1 2